Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Touring helmets for pillion passengers?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

jserv
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:33 - 01 Jul 2022    Post subject: Touring helmets for pillion passengers? Reply with quote

Hi all, I'm shopping for a helmet for an occasional pillion passenger. My tolerance for some noise and discomfort has probably grown from regular motorway commuting, so I thought I should ask for opinions.

Are there any helmets that are comfortable during longer trips for pillions and people that don't regularly ride?

Priorities are safety (especially 4-5* SHARP rating) and quietness. Warmth is definitely more important than ventilation. My first thought is a Schuberth, but this might be overkill for a helmet that might only see a handful of rides per year.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:54 - 01 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my humble opinion most helmets these days meet the required minimum safety standard. You probably want a sport touring helmet that is designed to take headphones and a microphone. Schuberth is a bit overkill. For quality to price ratio I would consider an HJC.

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:51 - 02 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

it will depend on their head shape which you go for, but for quietness I believe the Shoei Neotec/2 is one of the quietest on the market, I think a lot of flip lids are quiet because being flip, the neck opening can be smaller, i think the new C5 from Shuberth is supposed to be a quiet one too, both ideal for touring aswell as they will both fit comms

although ive never owned one, I would also imagine a flip being more comfortable too, again because its a flip, its inners can be designed differently as you put it on differently

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:51 - 02 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

HJC RRPHA ST imo.

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:38 - 03 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one that fits your pillion rider the best obv.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:14 - 04 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

What helmet-buying criteria are different for a pillion than for a rider, to be honest? Thinking

jserv
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:21 - 05 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll keep an eye out for the Shoei and HJC helmets if they're going cheap.

Weisse Schlange wrote:
The one that fits your pillion rider the best obv.

Good point, it may be worth going to a brick and mortar shop and having her try on a few helmets before buying anything.

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
What helmet-buying criteria are different for a pillion than for a rider, to be honest? Thinking

For the most part they're similar, I suppose.

My preferences as a rider are definitely with visibility (ideally with a pinlock visor), ventilation, and less on quietness since I like to listen out for engine noise / overtaking vehicles.

Knowing my passenger, her preferences are definitely going to be warmth, quietness, and comfort rather than any of the above. As mentioned, I also like the SHARP ratings most for safety, but that goes for both.

After thinking about it I'm leaning towards getting a couple of Schuberth C5s (one S and one M), as they seem to hit the passenger criteria and then I'll have a choice between that and my usual helmet. Built-in intercoms would also be a nice bonus. I'll see if I can get a good deal on them and post a review here.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:40 - 06 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Schuberth "the worlds quietest crash helmet tested by Schumacher in the company wind tunnel".

I may have been quiet on paper but the chin vent created so much wind noise it cancelled out the quiet claims. Unless Schuberth tested the bastirt in a wind tunnel when the wind was turned off and Schumacher was in a coma.

In winter I tape over the vent.

Cheap helmet linings fall apart/degrade over time.
Just sayin'.

jserv
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:54 - 06 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

@MCN: Is that the C5 or another model? No option to close the vent or replace it with a solid part?

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:31 - 07 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you do , don't go trying them on in a shop then bugger off and buy them online.
Buy them from the shop. Most will price match anyway, but local shops need supported, so that folk can try on helmets. Smile

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:36 - 07 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

completely disregard any SHARP ratings, its a flawed pointless test with no merit

matching helmets sound nice, but if you have different shaped heads you will likely need different helmets, different brands, generally, are different shapes

jserv
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:35 - 07 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRUN wrote:
completely disregard any SHARP ratings, its a flawed pointless test with no merits

Have to disagree, here. I've not been able to find a more thorough testing scheme than SHARP. Do you look for a different standard?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:24 - 09 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

jserv wrote:
@MCN: Is that the C5 or another model? No option to close the vent or replace it with a solid part?

The 1st model with the BT neck collar.

The vent can open/cose.

The noise is the same closed, hence to tape.

Apart from that, it is a very good hat. 10 years old now. Cool

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:11 - 09 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having now ridden with my new HJC F70 Carbon (£289) I can say this would be a good choice too. It's very light,
that's my first plus, in a large which is the largest shell size it's 1413g on the scales. It's quiet with the vents closed
but I wear earplugs in any case because Spacker go vroooom but I thought it a great fit and more comfortable than
my shark lids. Nice ventilation, decent noise suppression, doesn't rip your head off doing high speed shoulder checks,
drop down sun visor, large main visor with pinlock insert supplied, I bought an upgraded photochromatic insert for
mine which leaves the plain insert I have spare for the inevitable black visor I'll also be buying for this. It warrants the
install of my spare Sena kit too having recesses for speakers, mic and wiring for the HJC bluetooth kit. The HJC kit is
made by Sena anyway so the install should be tidy and quick, I'm sure the speakers are the same size.

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:58 - 11 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

jserv wrote:
BRUN wrote:
completely disregard any SHARP ratings, its a flawed pointless test with no merits

Have to disagree, here. I've not been able to find a more thorough testing scheme than SHARP. Do you look for a different standard?

you get helmets from Halfords score highly with Sharp, helmets costing next to nothing, yet some Arai/Shoei score low

do you honestly think, completely disregarding everything but safety, a no name helmet from Halfords is better than an Arai when it comes to safety, no, its not, its made to a price, possibly even made to score highly on the Sharp test and nothing else

i would look for ECE 22-06 but their are not many tested to this standard yet
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 261 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1