Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

All indicators flashing (But they're not LEDS!)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

boredatwork
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:27 - 19 Jul 2022    Post subject: All indicators flashing (But they're not LEDS!) Reply with quote

tldr: if i indicate left, invariably the right one starts flashing and vice versa. they aren't LEDs, they're incandescent bulbs.

hi
gsxr 750k4 due for its MOT and of course this weekend it starts doing this. when i indicate left, after a second or two the right lights flash in sympathy - eg left on, when the left goes of the right blinks a little weaker, then when it goes back to the left. If I take a bulb out, the "wrong side" still flashes. New relay hasnt fixed it. Ive checked the loom visually nothing obvious. Sprayed and cleaned all the various terminating blocks even tho no obvious corrosion. Even happens when I've disconnected the big connector to the front and the dashboard so i dont think its the diode/single indicator bulb issue.

I'm stuck any ideas gratefully received!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 08:17 - 20 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad earth causing the power to find an alternate route to get to earth, via the bulb rather than the earth.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 09:14 - 20 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The indicators will share a common earth which is corroded somewhere in the loom.
As a quick dirty fix you could add additional earths to the indicators.

boredatwork
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:12 - 20 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Bad earth causing the power to find an alternate route to get to earth, via the bulb rather than the earth.

thank you both (i cant multi quote) - going out after dinner to have a look at the continuity again, but i think the 'new' earth will get me thru the MOT i'll report back

thanks

boredatwork
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:45 - 22 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

so just as an update- new earths didnt work.

but i've new information - if i disconnect the live from one of the bulbs, and select the other side to flash...both sides flash.clearly something is mega shorting so pulling it all apart to look at the wiring.

sigh.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:10 - 22 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there's anything particularly clever going on with the wiring (with regards to the original design) so for both sides to flash it'd have to either be:

1) a faulty indicator switch
2) the left and right wires corroded together somewhere (Black, Light Green)
3) diode array busted in the display, but you've already tested that by disconnecting

If you disconnect the switch cluster the relay wire is light blue (if I'm reading the right diagram.) Jab a wire between light blue and light green, light blue and black to simulate the indicator switch.

For corroded together wires you'd need to break out a multimeter.

forarainydave
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:38 - 15 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the switch needs investigating. Just check the continuity on the opposite side from the switch (i.e. check the right side wire from the switch when you select left), there should obviously be none. I think a bit of conducting crud may have built up and is shorting, especially if it's a bit of a weaker signal on the opposite side than the one selected.

JBM
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:37 - 26 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m guessing you’ve got to the bottom of the issue by now, but if not, does your bike have an alarm?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 184 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1