Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

In-car android stereo

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:19 - 29 Mar 2022    Post subject: In-car android stereo Reply with quote

I've recently replaced my basic car stereo with an Android stereo, and I was planning on fitting a dab aerial and downloading a dab app on it.
The reason for replacing is because my wife wants DAB radio, we'd both like bluetooth for music (Spotify) and phone, and at a later date I can add a reversing camera.

However it's been suggested that I could use mobile data instead, and use it like my phone I guess. I see the benefits as being able to play internet radio instead of DAB, Spotify, Google maps with live traffic etc.

If I do this, I'm thinking of getting a cheap data sim deal, putting it in a spare mobile and keeping it connected in the car in the glove box or hidden away with the hotspot on. That way it will always be on, get charged when I'm driving, the stereo will always have wifi, and anyone else in the car can use it too if needed.

Anyone done anything similar? Or advice on why this would/wouldn't work?
Thumbs Up
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:32 - 29 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked to see if the Head Unit supports fitting a sim card, i know some do (my old one did)

But yes, in theory your solution would work, though i suspect a DAB ariel /reciever would be far cheaper

Or, if you already have decent Data bundles with your phone contract/PAYG then why not simply use whichever device is connected at the time, this is how i did it, though i mainly used Spotify, and i simply downloaded my most palyed albums/playlists to the headunit, so only used the Data the once for all those songs

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:36 - 29 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above, one aftermarket android unit I fitted had a sim slot for exactly this purpose.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:54 - 29 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 - My head unit doesn't have the option to fit a SIM card.

Part of the problem here is my wife's complete non-IT brain, she doesn't want to have to connect a hotspot every time she gets in the car - even if she could find it on her phone! Laughing

I'd need a DAB USB aerial to fit into the back of the stereo, looking around they're about £50. I've already got a spare smartphone, the cheapest data SIM is something like £4 a month for 15GB - plenty for the stereo.
So yes, over the course of a year the SIM would cost more. But then I'd have the added benefit of Google maps with always up to date traffic - plus a trip into Europe later in the year means we don't have to worry about running out of data for bored kids on the journey!
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:05 - 29 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:

Part of the problem here is my wife's complete non-IT brain, she doesn't want to have to connect a hotspot every time she gets in the car - even if she could find it on her phone! Laughing

I'd need a DAB USB aerial to fit into the back of the stereo, looking around they're about £50. I've already got a spare smartphone, the cheapest data SIM is something like £4 a month for 15GB - plenty for the stereo.
So yes, over the course of a year the SIM would cost more. But then I'd have the added benefit of Google maps with always up to date traffic - plus a trip into Europe later in the year means we don't have to worry about running out of data for bored kids on the journey!

It is fairly stright forward to setup the hotspot automatically when your phone detects that is is connected to a certain bluetooth device

Every Android headunit i have used in the past has had some in-built way/app to do just that

Similarly, most modern phones these days have ways of doing it

My current Samsung can do it via Bixby Routines, and there are plenty of third party apps that will do similar

Tasker
MacroDroid
Carspot Ready
IFTTT (possibly)
etc

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:45 - 29 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
Feasty wrote:

It is fairly stright forward to setup the hotspot automatically when your phone detects that is is connected to a certain bluetooth device

Every Android headunit i have used in the past has had some in-built way/app to do just that

Similarly, most modern phones these days have ways of doing it

My current Samsung can do it via Bixby Routines, and there are plenty of third party apps that will do similar

Tasker
MacroDroid
Carspot Ready
IFTTT (possibly)
etc

Now, that's food for thought! I've just done some Googling and come up with the app Hot Spot Starter, does exactly that job - never knew any of this existed before Laughing
Just need to test it out now when I get chance later Thumbs Up

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:14 - 26 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thought I'd provide a little update.

The android head unit went back to the seller and my money back after 2 days - it was awful. So slow, and impossible to use whilst driving - even simple things like changing the radio station.

I've now got an original later version VW head unit, which comes with its own problems Rolling Eyes !

It's got DAB and bluetooth which is what I was after. I was hoping the DAB aerial would work ok hidden under the dash plastic but reception is terrible so I'll need to move it to the windscreen. Worst case get a better DAB aerial...

The utter pain is bluetooth. I have a Samsung S9 and want the phone and audio to connect at the same time, so I can listen to Spotify.
However from what I can gather from lots of other forums Samsung put out a bluetooth software update a while ago which has stopped this working. The phone connects fine, but audio is a constant case of changing to airplane mode and back again, deleting and re-adding the car stereo/phone from each other etc to get them both working at the same time.
My work iPhone connects phone & audio perfectly every time - get an iPhone instead? I would - but I hate Apple with a vengeance...

So I'm now left with looking to buy a Google Pixel phone and see if that works any better... Evil or Very Mad

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:25 - 26 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:
So I'm now left with looking to buy a Google Pixel phone and see if that works any better... Evil or Very Mad

It won't be, I love my Pixel 6 but fuck me is it bad with the Seat built in unit, on board controls won't let me skip songs/change stuff aside from volume!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:21 - 22 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 14 plate Zafira which I have had since 3000 miles.

It has a crap old fashioned radio FM, AM , NO DAB

All I did was get a Bluetooth Adapter, this plugs in to the 3.5mm audio socket and it gets its power from a USB Cig plug.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Babacom-Bluetooth-Cancelling-Headphones-Hands-free-Black/dp/B08L7ZC21T

I then use the Amazon Music App, hit it in to car mode and that's it.

I can ask Alexa to play any music I want and if I want to listen to radio I can mostly say Alexa listen to .....

Occasionally I use RadioPlayer app.

--

My mates got a fancy company car, which huge Ipad type display. But his audio is a bit crxp and he can't talk to Alexa all shitty menus.

I'm happy with what i've got.

On the bike I just hum.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 270 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1