BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Upgrades/Work

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Stevie-YBR
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:00 - 22 Jul 2022    Post subject: Upgrades/Work Reply with quote

I got my V5C in for the bike today. While looking through it, the bike should be silver, however, it was being used for CBT lessons and as such, it would be prudent to think that it had been dropped on more than one occasion.

With this in mind, would I be correct in thinking that if stopped by the police they could go down the 'no insurance' route?

The plastics on the bike are black and I would like to put it back to silver, I've searched around but not seeing much out there out-with single panels that are marked or or have substantial damage.

My thinking is now just to get silver wrap and wrap the plastics that are currently on the bike. This would mean taking off the plastics, removing the stickers and using glue removed on the residue before giving it a thorough clean and clay bar then a final clean. I also plan to get OEM YBR stickers to place back on the bike.

With that I have crash bars on the bike and will be keeping those on just incase. I was looking at going down the powder coating route with this and doing a blue colour, not too dark but not too light either. Not sure how viable this would be though.

To complete the refurbishment I would like to add sequential indicators, I have seen a kit that gives you DRL front and rear, when indicator is being used this supersedes the DRL.

What's everyones thoughts? I don't expect it to cost more than £100 unless I go down the route of powder coating the crash bars.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:55 - 23 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrap it. It's really not that hard. Hairdryer, and a cheap wrap kit off fleabay.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:47 - 23 Jul 2022    Post subject: Re: Upgrades/Work Reply with quote

Stevie-YBR wrote:
I got my V5C in for the bike today. While looking through it, the bike should be silver, however, it was being used for CBT lessons and as such, it would be prudent to think that it had been dropped on more than one occasion.

You wouldn't normally need to change the tank and sidepanels with the low speed drops you usually get from learners. Bars/pegs/levers/indicators are the usual suspects. I'm assuming if you've checked the V5 that the frame and engine numbers are all matching?

I know this is your first bike, and you love it and want to get it "just so", but I'd really advise not bothering with any of the stuff you want to do. None of it will add value to the bike (and a bad wrapping job will probably lower it), none of it will actually change the riding experience. And none of it will change the YBR from what it fundamentally is, a no frills learner/commuter 125. Most visual tarting up of bikes is a wasted effort anyway, but it's even more so on a bog basic 125. That's not an insult to the YBR by the way, its simple nature is one of it's best qualities.

Assuming the engine/frame numbers are right on the V5, get the V5 changed to reflect the real colour. If you want to work on your bike (and I would recommend working on your own bike to anyone), focus on the mechanicals, give it an oil/filter service, service the brakes, adjust your clutch, change the fork oil etc. None of it is expensive, none of it will lower the value of your bike, and all of it will potentially improve your riding experience. If you've done all that, or it doesn't need doing, just ride the bloody thing!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:58 - 23 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd put all the OPs idea's in the 'polishing a turd' category but would check the VIN....

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:52 - 23 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon Zen dogs covered it, but would add
some "Live to Ride" mirrors would set it off nicely

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:19 - 23 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just change the v5 rather than silver wrapping the bike.?

Rob W
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 23 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
I reckon Zen dogs covered it, but would add

Combine this with a 'Tarmac Terrorist' hoody and you're good.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:47 - 24 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the tank still silver?

You're good to go. Ride it.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 24 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Is the tank still silver?

You're good to go. Ride it.

Beat me to it. It's always the tank colour that wins.

I think they'd have to work hard to say you don't have insurance based on the tank colour anyway..

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:22 - 25 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:

Or maybe an eagle claw sidestand? https://www.imagemotorcycle.com/product-page/ks0608-talon-kickstand

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:04 - 25 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:

Lol.. BUT only available for Hardly Ablesomes (and Hayabusas oddly..)

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:10 - 25 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget one of those Guardian Bells things.

"These little bells, known in the motorcycling world as Gremlin Bells, Guardian Bells, or Spirit Bells, are a kind of good luck charm for motorcycle riders. The bell is said to protect them during their travels, similar to how a pendant or image of St. Christopher, the patron saint of travelers, is often carried in vehicles to protect their occupants while on the road.

Here’s how the bell works: legend has it that there are harmful spirits that lurk the roadways, always on the lookout for motorcycles to cling onto and cause mischief. You may have heard of unusual and hard-to-diagnose problems that occur in machines (most often in electrical systems) being called “gremlins,” and supposedly, it is these same unpredictable and harmful spirits that cause problems for motorcycles and their riders.

The Gremlin Bell is a way to ward off these spirits. It is said to work by capturing them in the hollow of the bell and infuriating them with the constant ringing until they release their hold and break free, returning to the roadway to find another unsuspecting rider without a bell to harass instead.

The Rules of the Bell:

There are some “rules,” however, to the Gremlin Bell and how it works:

1.) It should not be bought by the user - in order to work, it must be given to a rider from a loved one. According to the legend, a bell is “activated” by the gesture of good will when someone, especially another rider, gives it to a rider they care about as a gift.

2.) It should be attached to the lowest part of the frame. Because gremlins lurk on the roadways and “grab” onto bikes as they pass by, the low-hanging bell should be the first thing they contact, so that they are immediately captured by it. It should be attached securely – safety wire is sometimes used, but that can create rust and scratches, so a zip-tie is generally the preferred method.

3.) When a bike with a bell on it is sold, it should be removed. The Gremlin Bell is a gesture of kindness to a rider from someone who cares about them, so it should be kept by the intended recipient, and can be transferred to another bike. If someone sells a bike with a bell and they want the new rider to have it, they should still remove it, and give it to them face to face.

4.) A bell that is not given with intentional good will loses its spirit-fighting mojo. If someone steals a Gremlin Bell, the gremlins go with it – and the bell will no longer ward them off. The key to the bell’s power is good will. If it is stolen, it loses its effect...and karma will take care of the rest!

5.) One Guardian Bell is all that a bike will need if all of the above rules are followed. Ride safe, and KNOW that you are loved!"

Laughing

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:16 - 27 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly enough, one of my bikes used to be red.

I updated the colour change to the DVLA as usual, and looking up Tax status it comes up with the correct colour (white), but MOT history still says red. Been like that for many years now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 274 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1