Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Wobbling brake caliper

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

marstrand
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:08 - 27 Jul 2022    Post subject: Wobbling brake caliper Reply with quote

Bought a Honda Hornet, first bike.

I recently removed the front left caliper to grease the sliding pins. I've been more observant of it since then, and noticed that its motion appears to be somewhat "wobbly". What I mean with that is whenever the caliper moves outwards, the uppermost past of the caliper (or the upper sliding pin) appears to be moving outwards before the lower part (the lower sliding pin). Same story when it moves inwards again. Attached a homemade, slightly exaggerated figure of somewhat how it looks.

Is this normal or something to worry about? I ask since I removed and reinstalled the caliper myself, with some but not excessive mechanical knowledge, fearing that I messed up somehow. I used a torque wrench for the bolts, so that should at least have been done correctly.

Since I wasn't really observant of the caliper when riding previously, it is likely that it was moving that way previously. If it's not normal, what could it be a sign of? I've been thinking about a bent disc, which maybe could explain why the front brakes sometimes makes squeaking noises when I lead the bike. No vibrations whatsoever when driving so I suspect the squeaking may be due to build up of old brake dust.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:50 - 27 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a warped disc to me

marstrand
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:09 - 28 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
No surface oxidation from high heat though, and no shaking/vibrations when braking. Think it rather could be bent if the disc actually is deformed. Like if a previous owner has forgotten the disc lock. The bike did however pass inspection and vent through service at an authorized repair shop before I got it. I doubt I should question their expertise, so either something has occurred during the 60 miles I've ridden it, or I'm just being overly autistic.

I was quite easy on the brakes in the beginning since I did a lot of highway riding, usually only having to engine brake and using the brakes sparsely. Think I've read that this could cause brake pad debris to build up on the pads. Started using the brakes more recently to avoid this, and possibly get rid of the built up dust. Maybe I should give the pads a good cleaning though.

F18
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 10:53 - 28 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the run out of the disc, in situ - easy, by eye to start with and you've one on the other side to compare it to.

If it looks true you'll have to overhaul the calipers (I bet they need doing anyway) and start from a know good, clean, non-sticking, work point.

If you are unsure which way to hold the spanners, book it in a local independant - this will be bread and butter work for anyone remotely decent. You don't want to f***k this up.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:28 - 28 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

plenty of how toos on youtube for brake servicing. its not too hard to do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:59 - 28 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

marstrand wrote:
WD Forte wrote:
No surface oxidation from high heat though, and no shaking/vibrations when braking. Think it rather could be bent if the disc actually is deformed. Like if a previous owner has forgotten the disc lock.

I've seen really quite badly warped disks that didn't have any discolouration, so I wouldn't put too much stock in that.

It's also not going to be the calipers themselves (unless the bolts are loose or something) as nothing changes in the calipers as the wheel rotates. I think WD's suggestion of a slightly warped disk is most likely, and a forgotten disk lock quite possible as a cause. You'd probably need to get the front end off the ground and give the wheel a spin while measuring the disk position against a fixed point (like the fork leg) to confirm though. Might also be worth checking the bolts on the disk are all tight and checking the disk for any cracks.

If the caliper is only moving a couple of mm, the brake performance is good, and you can't actually feel it at the lever, personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:19 - 28 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

"""If the caliper is only moving a couple of mm."""

I think you mean the disc ?
The calliper should not move so that leaves the disc.
The disc should not move either because it will shorten the life of the brake seals.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:26 - 28 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bollocks are you talking now, Jaffa?

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:43 - 28 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
What bollocks are you talking now, Jaffa?

Facts, so what`your twopence worth Noddy Laughing

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:47 - 28 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:

I think you mean the disc ?
The calliper should not move so that leaves the disc.
The disc should not move either because it will shorten the life of the brake seals.

The calliper could be moving because iT's not bolted on properly. In addition some weaker amd smaller callipers could well move fractionally because of a warped disk.

Some disks are designed to move (floating) so your comment is wrong in that respect. If its moving for any other reason then seals wearing early is the least of your problems.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:21 - 28 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP doesn't say exactly which version of the Hornet they have, and the name has been used a few times. Plus they're probably 'merkin as they say "highway".

Assuming it's a Mk1 CB600F version, they have floating disks and seemingly the same 2-pot sliding calipers as my VFR750. You can see this here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTQlsZpQFVQ
In which case, both the calipers and disks can move slightly. Though presumably, if enough force is being applied to the caliper to make it move, unless they're pretty seized you'd expect it to push the pads back a bit too.

marstrand, are you noticing a lot of travel at the brake lever? Why did you feel you needed to grease the sliding pins in the first place?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:12 - 28 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did wonder about the possibility of floating callipers, but obviously there are because all single piston ones have to be floating.

marstrand
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:21 - 31 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:
OP doesn't say exactly which version of the Hornet they have, and the name has been used a few times. Plus they're probably 'merkin as they say "highway".

Assuming it's a Mk1 CB600F version, they have floating disks and seemingly the same 2-pot sliding calipers as my VFR750. You can see this here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTQlsZpQFVQ
In which case, both the calipers and disks can move slightly. Though presumably, if enough force is being applied to the caliper to make it move, unless they're pretty seized you'd expect it to push the pads back a bit too.

marstrand, are you noticing a lot of travel at the brake lever? Why did you feel you needed to grease the sliding pins in the first place?
Sorry for my absence, I've been on a trip with my bike for a couple of days. And from further inspections I am now quite sure that it is the disc that is warped/bent. When riding, the left disc wobbles slightly, which is especially clear when comparing to the right disc which is perfectly flat. The wobbling causes the disc to come in contact with the brake pad and therefore also causes the caliper to wobble. I guess this causes the pistons in the caliper to move inwards and outwards, creating friction on the gliding pins, which most likely was the cause of the creaky noise I used to hear when riding. This noise was the reason why I greased the sliding pins.

The disc and caliper is almost identical to the one in the video you linked. Mine do however have ABS (on the right side of the front wheel) and the caliper have three pistons. I do not feel any travel at the brake lever. I don't know which version it is, but the model year is 2011.

I guess I could try to record how it looks. Will try to do that tomorrow.

Last edited by marstrand on 18:36 - 31 Jul 2022; edited 1 time in total

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:24 - 31 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
In addition some weaker amd smaller callipers could well move fractionally because of a warped disk.

BOOOM! Headshot!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 270 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1