BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CZ125

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:13 - 28 Jul 2022    Post subject: CZ125 Reply with quote

Just picked up a 1988 CZ125 as a bit of a project, maybe do some slow touring on it.

It needs new stanchions or the old ones rechroming (any ideas where?), a new front wheel and various small bits

Ant tips on what to look out for on these? Is it possible to just stick a 175 top end on?

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:22 - 28 Jul 2022    Post subject: Re: CZ125 Reply with quote

PotatoHead2020 wrote:
Just picked up a 1988 CZ125 as a bit of a project, maybe do some slow touring on it.

It needs new stanchions or the old ones rechroming (any ideas where?), a new front wheel and various small bits

Ant tips on what to look out for on these? Is it possible to just stick a 175 top end on?

Back in the day (years ago) I had one of those .
There were plenty in the breakers yards, but by now they would be as rare as rocking horse poo in British breakers yards.
Phone around, you never know you might get lucky.
There was a website from Czechoslovakia still selling all sorts of CZ & Jawa stuff brand new.
Sadly I can’t find it at this time, but if I do, I’ll post it here, don’t hold your breath .
Thief-bay still has second hand stuff come up , try them.

As for putting a 175 top end on , I never tried.

Try taking all that fibre shyte out of the exhaust.
I also drilled a few more holes in the baffle to help it breathe more freely.
If you are going to take the top end of the engine off.
Try replacing the small end bronze bush with a needle roller bearing instead.
It made a little difference, not much , but a little bit.
Just my two penny worth Penny Coin Penny Coin Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:17 - 28 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt the 175 will be significantly faster than the 125 so you're probably just making work for yourself.

They are dog slow, cheapo communist era commuter bikes designed to cheaply and efficiently take factory workers to their jobs and back.

I quite like them because they are a bit different and have a bit of character but never loose sight of the fact that these things were often given away in good running order or swapped for beers/small bags of weed back in the day. It'll never be fast, it'll never be good, it can be fun.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:32 - 28 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one for a while way back
As I recall you had to pull out the gear change and turn it backwards to use it as a kick start.
Crap electrics too.
Horrible thing, couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

If I was forced to have one now I'd stick a modern-ish 4t lump
with electric start in it
summat like an rs250 engine mebbe?

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:07 - 28 Jul 2022    Post subject: Re: CZ125 Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
PotatoHead2020 wrote:

Back in the day (years ago) I had one of those .
There were plenty in the breakers yards, but by now they would be as rare as rocking horse poo in British breakers yards.
Phone around, you never know you might get lucky.
There was a website from Czechoslovakia still selling all sorts of CZ & Jawa stuff brand new.
Sadly I can’t find it at this time, but if I do, I’ll post it here, don’t hold your breath .
Thief-bay still has second hand stuff come up , try them.

As for putting a 175 top end on , I never tried.

Try taking all that fibre shyte out of the exhaust.
I also drilled a few more holes in the baffle to help it breathe more freely.
If you are going to take the top end of the engine off.
Try replacing the small end bronze bush with a needle roller bearing instead.
It made a little difference, not much , but a little bit.
Just my two penny worth Penny Coin Penny Coin Thumbs Up

Haven't started taking it apart yet, needs a good clean and a test of the electrics. I take it you mean the silencer? Does it need cutting out or is there more of a technique lol? Any idea on how many holes into the baffle?

Any helps appreciated. Been a good 14 years since I messed around with two stroke engines.

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:48 - 28 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I doubt the 175 will be significantly faster than the 125 so you're probably just making work for yourself.

They are dog slow, cheapo communist era commuter bikes designed to cheaply and efficiently take factory workers to their jobs and back.

I quite like them because they are a bit different and have a bit of character but never loose sight of the fact that these things were often given away in good running order or swapped for beers/small bags of weed back in the day. It'll never be fast, it'll never be good, it can be fun.

Oh yeah I've gone into it eyes wide open. I very much doubt it'll be quicker than even my old derestricted RS50 but 50 odd is enough for pootling about on.

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:50 - 28 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
I had one for a while way back
As I recall you had to pull out the gear change and turn it backwards to use it as a kick start.
Crap electrics too.
Horrible thing, couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

If I was forced to have one now I'd stick a modern-ish 4t lump
with electric start in it
summat like an rs250 engine mebbe?

Oh don't worry I know it'll likely be utterly, utterly awful but quite looking forward to the "character" of it and having the Hondas for any serious miles.

gbrand42
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:02 - 28 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 175 ooh around 40 years ago. It had a tiny bit more performance than a 125 (15bhp instead of 12 or something like that). Wouldn't you need to bore out the cases to get a 175 barrel on it? I seem to remember the bottom of the bore of the barrel on mine slid down into the crankcase. Very basic and agricultural, I wouldn't use one now for anything more than local pottering. I reckon something from MZ might be a better bet - completely weird-looking but better engineered.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:04 - 28 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

gbrand42 wrote:
I reckon something from MZ might be...better engineered.

They're...worse than an MZ? Jesus Christ. Shocked

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:43 - 28 Jul 2022    Post subject: Re: CZ125 Reply with quote

PotatoHead2020 wrote:

Haven't started taking it apart yet, needs a good clean and a test of the electrics. I take it you mean the silencer? Does it need cutting out or is there more of a technique lol? Any idea on how many holes into the baffle?

As i remember, the whole end comes off. Pretty sure it was a series of screws holding the two parts together which will have long gone and it'll be held on with fossilised 2-stroke residue. Hammer and a blowlamp would be the tools of choice.

If it's like the Jawas, the baffle will be a long series of drilled tubes, discs and large fibre washers threaded onto an enormously long bit of M6 allthread with two nuts on the end.

One thing the CZ factory were very good at is tinwork. They did it properly in the old style hard chroming with copper plate under it and everything. Clean up that chrome, it might surprise you how little corrosion there actually is.

A company called vape make bolt-on electronic ignition/dynamo units for them which are excellent. Plug and play. You throw away all the old crap in its entirety and bolt the vape unit on. It has two wires coming out of it. One goes to the coil, the other has a healthy amount of 12vDC. They are not cheap but this can save a huge amount of hassle, head-scratching and trying to source obsolete carbon brushes and field coil regulators.

If you're keeping the original ignition system, old (rear engine) skoda points fit them.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:18 - 28 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:

Oh yes..

..much!

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:02 - 29 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:

CZ made some good bikes. They made some pretty bikes. They made some competative enduro and six days trials bikes. They even made some competative racers. Hell, Jawa/CZ made the first liquid cooled V4 2-stroke GP bike (Which incidentally, nobody would ride because it was too mental and dangerous).

They did none of those things in the 80's.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:36 - 29 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:
gbrand42 wrote:
I reckon something from MZ might be...better engineered.

One of my lads had an MZ ETZ 125 for a while and while I'm
not a fan of 2T's, I kinda liked it and rather enjoyed tootling about on it.
His mate had a CG125 of similar age and that felt like a slug in comparison.
Not much of a compliment to say it's better than a CG I know, but
the MZ was livelier plus handled and braked ( front disc) much better.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:32 - 29 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck! Never messed with a CZ myself unfortunately.

Neighbour has a 2016 registered Jawa 350 which was fun. The four speed box in that was definately nicer than the four speed in my MZ. But, always fancied a little go on a CZ for a period of time at least... They look fun to just potter about on and commute.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:38 - 29 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're...worse than an MZ? Jesus Christ. Shocked[/quote]

One of my lads had an MZ ETZ 125 for a while and while I'm
not a fan of 2T's, I kinda liked it and rather enjoyed tootling about on it.
His mate had a CG125 of similar age and that felt like a slug in comparison.
Not much of a compliment to say it's better than a CG I know, but
the MZ was livelier plus handled and braked ( front disc) much better.[/quote]

Yeah I vaguely remember training on the CG125 about 14 years ago, wasn't particuarly impressed with them and they were common as muck back then. Haven't seen one in years though

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:38 - 29 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

blurredman wrote:
Good luck! Never messed with a CZ myself unfortunately.

Neighbour has a 2016 registered Jawa 350 which was fun. The four speed box in that was definately nicer than the four speed in my MZ. But, always fancied a little go on a CZ for a period of time at least... They look fun to just potter about on and commute.

Yeah, that would definitely be in the garage if I could justify one. Just fasinating they're still allowed to sell them.

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:39 - 29 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

gbrand42 wrote:
I had a 175 ooh around 40 years ago. It had a tiny bit more performance than a 125 (15bhp instead of 12 or something like that). Wouldn't you need to bore out the cases to get a 175 barrel on it? I seem to remember the bottom of the bore of the barrel on mine slid down into the crankcase. Very basic and agricultural, I wouldn't use one now for anything more than local pottering. I reckon something from MZ might be a better bet - completely weird-looking but better engineered.

From what I can gather at the moment it looks as though the entire barrel can be swapped over

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:40 - 29 Jul 2022    Post subject: Re: CZ125 Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
PotatoHead2020 wrote:

As i remember, the whole end comes off. Pretty sure it was a series of screws holding the two parts together which will have long gone and it'll be held on with fossilised 2-stroke residue. Hammer and a blowlamp would be the tools of choice.

If it's like the Jawas, the baffle will be a long series of drilled tubes, discs and large fibre washers threaded onto an enormously long bit of M6 allthread with two nuts on the end.

One thing the CZ factory were very good at is tinwork. They did it properly in the old style hard chroming with copper plate under it and everything. Clean up that chrome, it might surprise you how little corrosion there actually is.

A company called vape make bolt-on electronic ignition/dynamo units for them which are excellent. Plug and play. You throw away all the old crap in its entirety and bolt the vape unit on. It has two wires coming out of it. One goes to the coil, the other has a healthy amount of 12vDC. They are not cheap but this can save a huge amount of hassle, head-scratching and trying to source obsolete carbon brushes and field coil regulators.

If you're keeping the original ignition system, old (rear engine) skoda points fit them.

Thank you, is it a case of removing all of the fibre washers?

gbrand42
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:05 - 29 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had another thought about fitting a 175 top end on the 125. The 175 had a longer stroke, so a 175 top end would only give you about 150cc. Doesn't seem worth it to me, probably 1-2hp improvement at best.

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:01 - 29 Jul 2022    Post subject: Change things Reply with quote

I've never had a CZ but I have had a few MZ's

Might I suggest you throw away everything that's crap about the bike and replace them with something else? I did that. Hell, I'm still doing it on the same bike after like 30 years.

It's a madness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:45 - 31 Jul 2022    Post subject: Re: CZ125 Reply with quote

PotatoHead2020 wrote:

Thank you, is it a case of removing all of the fibre washers?

You're probably best just leaving them. They weren't entirely ignorant of pressure wave dynamics so it probably works ok as-is, you risk making it run worse. They often benefit from a de-coke though.

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:44 - 31 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

Will just get it running for the meantime then.

What is incredibly weird is that the stanchions aren't chromed. Just seem to be steel.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:29 - 31 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems odd. That said, they did that with some BSAs just after WW2 because chrome was in short supply and if they are just steel, you can sand them smooth with fine grit. As long as the oil doesn't leak out, you're good.

Found this website, lists a few CZ parts: https://www.obsoletebikeparts.com

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:02 - 02 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 125 about 35 years ago, when I was a penniless yoof. I swapped two shagged Suzuki A100s (my then current steed and spares bike) for it. It was about 10 years newer than the better of the two Suzukis and came with a year's ticket so naturally I thought I was onto a winner.

Obviously I wasn't, it was worse than the Suzuki in every department (which took some doing) but I quite dug it in a perverse sort of way. In the two years I had it it never left me stranded, and although ugly and horrible it had started to inspire a bit of loyalty in me. Then some scrote nicked and torched it... weirdly I found the ignition key in a big box of other keys when I was looking for something else the other day!

Hope you enjoy it, what was (rightly) deemed poorly made tat back in the day is now an interesting diversion from the modern world of biking where everything works just so.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:11 - 03 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowasyoulike wrote:
.. weirdly I found the ignition key in a big box of other keys when I was looking for something else the other day!

Bet I have one exactly the same. They were perfect for inserting roaches in herbal cigarettes.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 266 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2