Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:00 - 31 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
kgm wrote:
I accept the situation is different if you have a company car but most don't.

I actually disagree mate, I think company cars make up a significant minority, if not slight majority of all EV car sales at the moment. Certainly when it comes to Teslas in particular it will shift heavily to company cars.

People earning in the £100,000+ zone don't want to pay themselves more money which gets' taxed at the 45% rate, they want an electric car which they will only pay 2% BIK tax on each year. It's an extremely tax efficient way to pay yourself more. That means on the Model 3 Long Rage you get a £60,000 car for only £39.25 a month (Scotland income tax rate applied, it's £38.25 in England) in additional tax!

My post probably wasn't clear, but I agree with what you're saying. What I meant was that most of the population in general don't have a company car and that buying an electric car is a different proposition (and more advantageous) if you are able to get one. I think you're probably right that the number of company car owners in terms of EVs in isolation is probably significant.

As it happens the wife has just written off her cooper SD so now I have to look at the options again.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:36 - 01 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly my local bike dealer has dumped Yamaha and started punting out electric bikes.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:43 - 01 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:

My post probably wasn't clear, but I agree with what you're saying. What I meant was that most of the population in general don't have a company car and that buying an electric car is a different proposition (and more advantageous) if you are able to get one. I think you're probably right that the number of company car owners in terms of EVs in isolation is probably significant.

As it happens the wife has just written off her cooper SD so now I have to look at the options again.

Indeed, by my fag packet calulations, there are 32 million cars regiestered in the UK, with roughly 870,000 company cars registered (data from 2020)

So that works out around 3% of cars are purchased as company vehicles, i'd guess that the majority of these in the past couple of years would be EV's, due to the BIK of the BEV's

Figures from 2020 suggest that around 400,000 BEV's were registered (out of a possible 870,000 company cars)

For the remaining 97% of the population, they make very little financial sense until you start doing 8-10k miles per year or more

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:54 - 01 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:

For the remaining 97% of the population, they make very little financial sense until you start doing 8-10k miles per year or more

At 24k/year it still didn't make financial sense for us, where cost saving was the goal. Compared to a new decent car then yes, it worked out cheaper overall. But compared to a 4 year old diesel car, nowhere close. The trouble is in part the cost of a PCP deal or lease at that sort of mileage. A bank loan for the cost of most EVs capable of the range that you'd need doing that mileage is also very high. It cost 11k for our mini and it's basically a top spec SD in mint condition, or was until.the wife smashed the front end in last week. Don't know what I'm going to do now.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:17 - 04 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
Don't know what I'm going to do now.

Is economy the only goal in what you're looking to replace it with? If the wife get's her CBT she can get way over 100 mpg on a 125cc Razz

If you actually do need a car that's in good nick, comfortable, mostly reliable and can get very good mileage, you'll probably find a good condition Nissan Quasqhai with the 1.5L diesel engine. They can do moon miles, have a huge tank and good fuel economy. Otherwise Skoda Octavia diesel?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 266 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2