Remortgaging

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:24 - 27 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Villers wrote:
Try here.... https://www.themoneycalculator.com/mortgages/calculators/mortgage-overpayment-calculator/#!/dealfinder/mortgages/

Put your balance, term and interest rate and it will show you the curve (remember to take off the overpayment, i.e. make it zero). I use it when trying to sort out mortgages or when considering a bigger one.

Also first post from me in about 8 years or something!

So from my stuff, added to that, the last 2 figures of 499.68 and 499.04, thats the first time you see capital higher than interest, is that when I start leaving the negative equity side?

Month 18 capital £499.68 interest £499.04
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:26 - 27 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've settled on a 10 year fixed. Interest rate is fairly competitive, monthly payments are affordable allowing for overpayments (or removal of overpayments if we need to tighten belts). I can't see the BOE base rate dropping by anything anytime soon and if anything it's likely to climb up a bit yet too. I worked out that it only needs to rise by 0.5% to make getting a 5 year fixed at today's rate (followed by the assumption of another 5 year fixed, but affected pro-rata by BOE base rate changes) a more expensive option. Seemed like a no brainer really and all being well with overpayments should last the remainder of the mortgage.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:16 - 27 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems a pretty sensible decision.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Villers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:19 - 27 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

So from my stuff, added to that, the last 2 figures of 499.68 and 499.04, thats the first time you see capital higher than interest, is that when I start leaving the negative equity side?

Month 18 capital £499.68 interest £499.04

I'm not sure it's as straight forward as that Paddy, realistically negative equity is a function of house value Vs remaining capital. I think stinkwheel explained it earlier on but the idea that lenders front load interest isn't really true as it's just the result of the interest rate Vs the capital owed.

If you decided to sell the house tomorrow you don't owe the rest of the interest, that vanishes. So to see if you are in equity you just need to estimate what you owe Vs what it's worth.

Long term, I prefer over payments where possible as this comes off the mortgage interest free although that's providing there's no penalty. I've had deals with unlimited over payments and paid twice the mortgage every month. Using that calculator I linked would show you what the impact of as little as 50 quid a month would make in terms of years and interest.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 08:51 - 28 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, negative equity is when the amount you would get by realising a house sale won't clear the outstanding balance.

Usually happens when the housing market collapses.

It's not to do with interest.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:36 - 28 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah cool cool, thanks for clearing that up Smile

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:15 - 28 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Villers wrote:

If you decided to sell the house tomorrow you don't owe the rest of the interest, that vanishes. So to see if you are in equity you just need to estimate what you owe Vs what it's worth.

Well, apart from any early repayment charges from exiting a fixed deal early Thumbs Up

Villers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:43 - 28 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

Well, apart from any early repayment charges from exiting a fixed deal early Thumbs Up

True that, unless they will let you transfer to the new house in some cases. I think my own provider is happy with that but I doubt all are!

I'm more concerned over the usual robbery charges, like the stamp duty, solicitors fees, coal mine search for the tenth time...

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:29 - 01 Aug 2022    Post subject: Re: Remortgaging Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
My question is:

Do we then start out again at the top of the curve, with 95% of the initial monthly payments going into interest, 5% on capital, therefore ultimately paying more in interest if the rates were equal, meaning that any improved rate on offer from another mortgage company would have to be offset against the fact that a greater amount of interest would potentially be paid over the remaining term of the mortgage?
:

Not unless you take the new mortgage for the same amount as the old one.

The curve you refer to occurs as the repayments are roughly constant, but the outstanding balance (and therefore the interest you pay on it) reduces over time.

Say you borrowed 100k two years ago.

On a 'normal' 25 year mortgage, you might now owe 95k for example, and therefore you're paying less interest than you were two years ago and more of your monthly payment is going to capital repayment.

With mortgages with a fixed rate element, you can take a new deal now to minimise the interest rate, but at 95k over 23 years (remaining balance over remaining term).

If you were to remortgage at 100k over 25 years then yes, you'd be standing still on the curve. You might choose to do this to release equity for improvements or similar.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:38 - 04 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some useful info there, thanks everyone. It does make perfect sense now I think about it, I guess the way it's usually worded (and displayed graphically) makes it seem like it's an erosion of an "interest debt" but in reality, it's interest calculated on a regular basis instead.

Incidentally, I'm pretty glad I got that deal the other week given today's news!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:50 - 04 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:

Incidentally, I'm pretty glad I got that deal the other week given today's news!

I don't think it's anywhere near topped out yet either.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:38 - 08 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

No indeed! Glad I didn't sit on it for any longer. I anticipate another 0.5-1% over the coming 12-18 months.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 322 days between these two posts...
SmithAnderson This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

that_impulse_guy
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:01 - 26 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
No indeed! Glad I didn't sit on it for any longer. I anticipate another 0.5-1% over the coming 12-18 months.

Smile

anyway..
mortgage amortisation tables is the search term, example here.
https://www.citrusmortgages.co.uk/mortgage-amortisation-cost-calculator/

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:07 - 26 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
We've settled on a 10 year fixed. Interest rate is fairly competitive, monthly payments are affordable allowing for overpayments (or removal of overpayments if we need to tighten belts). I can't see the BOE base rate dropping by anything anytime soon and if anything it's likely to climb up a bit yet too. I worked out that it only needs to rise by 0.5% to make getting a 5 year fixed at today's rate (followed by the assumption of another 5 year fixed, but affected pro-rata by BOE base rate changes) a more expensive option. Seemed like a no brainer really and all being well with overpayments should last the remainder of the mortgage.

I bet you're sitting smug right now eh?

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

DaddyStu
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:32 - 26 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Pete."]
ThunderGuts wrote:

I bet you're sitting smug right now eh?

I was going to fix for 10 back last year too (at 2.02%). Was told my ERC - early repayment charge was £3500 so chose not to. With hindsight... I should've coughed it up. Now i've got 2 more weeks to go to avoid ERC and look likely to be fixing 7yrs at 4.8% Bad timing.
BaiseMaHache This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2