Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

R6 and other stuff.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:26 - 20 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been thinking and oh well I can't help myself. I think I'm going to go for the sidecar/VN800 if it's as described and for the right price.

I'll only use it for toddling about anyway. Going to see it on Friday afternoon. Apparently mint but he says the sidecar causes the bars to shake at certain revs in second gear. Should really put me off but I'm sure a few springs in the couplers can sort that out.

'Listen to the voices in your head not the ones jabbering in your ears'

'Dinna listen to the fools, go your own way, if it gets a smile oot o max (my son), priceless'

Comments when I asked people their thoughts about this on my FB page.

It's a 1995 VN800 Classic. I like my old bikes. Only thing about older bikes is that I like a fuel gauge these days.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:55 - 23 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
Been thinking and oh well I can't help myself. I think I'm going to go for the sidecar/VN800 if it's as described and for the right price.

I'll only use it for toddling about anyway. Going to see it on Friday afternoon. Apparently mint but he says the sidecar causes the bars to shake at certain revs in second gear. Should really put me off but I'm sure a few springs in the couplers can sort that out.

'Listen to the voices in your head not the ones jabbering in your ears'

'Dinna listen to the fools, go your own way, if it gets a smile oot o max (my son), priceless'

Comments when I asked people their thoughts about this on my FB page.
It's a 1995 VN800 Classic. I like my old bikes. Only thing about older bikes is that I like a fuel gauge these days.

Good for you, go for it I say Thumbs Up

It's a bit late for me really, but IIRC outfits shouldn't be set up with the chair and the bike perpendicular, there needs to be a certain amount of negative camber involved.

Also, if you really want to go for whatever an outfit purports to have as handling, you need a set of leading link forks, standard teles just won't hack it.

You might have to take into account the built in wheel offset that a lot of shaft drive bikes have as well,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:45 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought this Street Triple, 2009 with 35000 miles. I wish i could stop myself, but can't. Back to 3 bikes again. Smile

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/yy224/struan80/s-l500.jpg

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:59 - 05 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what I think about the stupid dinky fairing thing on the front. Might take that off. Also the belly pan is vulgar, that might need to come off.

Irezumi
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:38 - 06 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
I'm not sure what I think about the stupid dinky fairing thing on the front. Might take that off. Also the belly pan is vulgar, that might need to come off.

Dinky fairing made a fair bit of difference from memory when doing steadier motorway stints, though I'm not very tall so may be different for you.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:46 - 06 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home. It's not mint but not too bad, as expected really, a few scratches here and there, some corrosion on the rear shock. Starts first turn and the engine sounds good. I'll take it out for a spin later. Happy enough with it. First impressions are that it is very light. Good.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/yy224/struan80/297241936_753388472448817_1637674120621517680_n.jpg

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:17 - 23 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh so things went a very little bit wrong today. It has caused me concern though not much.

I was out on a run with my IAM Observer. I've decided to do this IAM course for no reason more than to get me out on my bike regularly and learn a few things to keep me alive longer.

We stopped in a village (Gifford, not that that matters) where we could discuss what I was doing wrong Laughing (He actually said I was good). Felt a bit strange predominately sticking to the speed limit. But made for a relaxed ride. My mates tend to go like fuck so it was good to take it easy and not feel pressured into one overtake or the next. I know I know ride at your own pace etc.

Anyway after the stop for tuition my bike wouldn't start. For goodness blinking heck.
It has full power to the dash, fan's come on. won't turn over. No dimming of the headlights when I tried to start it. The battery is new.
I assumed plenty of power there so must be something else.
Bump started it and rode it home. My IAM observer doing the pushing Laughing
Tried to start it and it started first time. Took it out for a ride again and it seems to start no bother again.

What I'm thinking is a relay switch or something faulty? rectifier on the way out? I'll go out tomorrow and see if I can replicate the fault.

Anyway apart from that I am really enjoying the new bike. Might keep this more than 4 months. Or maybe take on more debt and get a newer one Laughing

I bought a model of the Street Triple. I know a sad person, love buying model bikes and sticking them all about the house.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/yy224/struan80/300523232_5767502609960468_2583107566758847606_n.jpg

Love life is getting dull and I'm fed up driving 30 mins each way to pick her up and drop her off. Honestly really can't be bothered. Would not like to hurt her though. I'm just a selfish twat and like being on my lonesome with my boy and the dogs. We'll see how the next few months go.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:04 - 25 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out for a few hours this evening around the borders. There really are some great roads that are quite empty as well. There is beauty aplenty. To tell the truth I'm too busy trying to stay alive than look at the scenery

My mates in their 1050 Tiger and learner 125 Lexmoto LXR.

We had a drag race and my Street Triple was the fastest to the 108 that I got to, then I gave up as I start to really shit myself at that speed. Shocked

I'm 10 stone on the Triple, my mate is probably more than 17 stone on the Tiger. It is as a whole package heavy and I'm light on a light bike. Pissed him off a bit Laughing

The Lexmoto is a decent 125 for the money, appears well made and inexpensive maybe but fit for purpose parts. He says very uncomfortable after a couple of hours. Feels and looks bigger than a 125 of old.

Usually out in head to toe leathers so felt naked with Kevlar laced jeans and hoody and short boots. I'm not sure though as I feel more secure in the leathers still. The hot weather has brought out the bravery in me.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/yy224/struan80/300796476_1250259899068781_5613818567521386131_n.jpg
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/yy224/struan80/301406811_1150600265803834_404420818970611978_n.jpg

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:10 - 25 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:

Anyway after the stop for tuition my bike wouldn't start. For goodness blinking heck.
It has full power to the dash, fan's come on. won't turn over. No dimming of the headlights when I tried to start it. The battery is new.
I assumed plenty of power there so must be something else.
Bump started it and rode it home. My IAM observer doing the pushing Laughing
Tried to start it and it started first time. Took it out for a ride again and it seems to start no bother again.

What I'm thinking is a relay switch or something faulty? rectifier on the way out? I'll go out tomorrow and see if I can replicate the fault.

There was something about a rectifier mod recall on these. I think if you can see the rectifier mounted in front of the rear wheel, it's been done. Others may recall better than me.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:21 - 25 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved my rectifier under the battery tray. I have a similar thing waiting to go with my Daytona 600, I never liked the OG rectifiers.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:37 - 25 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Moved my rectifier under the battery tray. I have a similar thing waiting to go with my Daytona 600, I never liked the OG rectifiers.

Was it a matter of overheating in its original-fit position?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:54 - 25 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been out since and the fault has not happened again. If it was the rectifier would it not just fail and not be intermittent?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:18 - 25 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
I've been out since and the fault has not happened again. If it was the rectifier would it not just fail and not be intermittent?

Maybe the mod has been done but left with iffy wiring? Dunno.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 25 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:

I reckon a reg/rec fault (or dirty, heat-damaged connector) could show up intermittently (at first) but from what you’ve said it’s not clear that the reg/rec was the issue.

Having had a prolonged and painful experience with a bike’s charging system and learned that one weak component (battery, generator, reg/rec or connectors) can weaken the others and set off a cycle of failures I’d be inclined to fit a brand new battery to any new bike which had been sitting idle for months. An apparently decent voltage reading isn’t good enough if it can’t be maintained when under load. Current is key.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 30 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you did have rider modes would you not just stick it in sport for all occasions? i know I would....Rider modes wtf. I am of the belief that ABS is cheating. Next thing we'll be having electric bikes for goodness sakes.

A long story and not even relevant to this post but having raced round Knockhill in an old XR2, no ABS, and also a mini with ABS. The ABS is cheating until a few laps in when you realise that manual braking is more precise.

Does an electric bike have rider modes?

I wish I liked that highland Alda's shit to Grouse and i would save my self a fortune. I wonder when fuel will become the same price as whisky. I'll look back on this post with wonder when this eventually happens.

Loving the wee Triumph. It's like a totty maniac.

Next bike may be the 765, when they fall at £3k.

6 days with no fluoxetine, not good.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:01 - 31 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

Was it a matter of overheating in its original-fit position?

Preventing it from doing so, rather than waiting for it to do so Laughing

Same with this one, I've got it ready for hardwiring an R1 regulator just just behind the side panel where there is decent airflow.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:20 - 31 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
If you did have rider modes would you not just stick it in sport for all occasions? i know I would....Rider modes wtf. I am of the belief that ABS is cheating. Next thing we'll be having electric bikes for goodness sakes.

A long story and not even relevant to this post but having raced round Knockhill in an old XR2, no ABS, and also a mini with ABS. The ABS is cheating until a few laps in when you realise that manual braking is more precise.

I guess it's whatever you're used to. I've still never owned a bike with ABS. I don't see that as some kind of superiority on my part, just never have. I have had one accident where ABS may well have saved it, but so would being more careful on my part.

If you have good brakes, I really don't think ABS is important. Good brakes and learn how to use them properly. I'd rather that than all the rider aids in the world, plus having come through on bikes before all the electronic stuff, I guess I just kinda like a more raw feel.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:19 - 02 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy can't look at my bike until the 19th so I've ordered a Haynes manual. Should be here today.
Going to get fired in. Never worked on bikes as I'm too lazy, like riding them but normally get no satisfaction from getting the spanners out.

9/10 times the bike starts. When it doesn't the bike tries to turn over twice then nothing. All the ignition lights work and it goes through the ignition switch system fine.

Thought are this based on what I've read.

1. Battery. It was only fitted a week before I got the bike though. I've got a multimeter on order.

2. Solenoid/relay. Was hoping this was under the seat but it appears that it isn't. I'll need to check out where it actually is. Anyway I've got hold of a relay.

3. This is maybe a long shot but I'm sure I read it somewhere.
During the start up sequence the ECU can detect a low battery voltage/current and refuses to start itself based on this. Obviously the battery voltage/current drops during start up so could this be why it turns over twice then nothing. The battery drains to quickly?

4. Stator/rectifier? Would need to read up on how to check these. I can't see how a faulty stator and rectifier would cause in an intermittent failure to start. It would just fail due to lack of insulation resistance on a coil or a bad earth. The bike wouldn't start at all.

Could be something as simple as a loose wire. Anyway it's annoying not knowing whether the bike is likely to start or not when I'm out. At least it's light enough for bump starting. Smile

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:22 - 02 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is going to be fun.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/yy224/struan80/303250510_754746055816683_1808945380826382212_n.jpg

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:29 - 02 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think you have a bad battery the easiest, cheapest and most assured test is to attach a set of jump leads between it and another vehicle battery.

Quote:
9/10 times the bike starts. When it doesn't the bike tries to turn over twice then nothing. All the ignition lights work and it goes through the ignition switch system fine.

At the point of “nothing” do the lights go out, and is there any sound?

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:50 - 02 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
If you think you have a bad battery the easiest, cheapest and most assured test is to attach a set of jump leads between it and another vehicle battery.

Quote:

At the point of “nothing” do the lights go out, and is there any sound?

I'll need to confirm this when it happens again. It's been starting fine all day. When it fails all the dash lights stay on, the front light dims when the bike turns over as expected just for 2 turns, then won't turn over and have to bump start it. I recall hearing a clicking but can't be sure if it was after the 'nothing'. I'll make note of what happens next time it does it.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:24 - 02 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Create a dedicated post in the Workshop section, you'll get better visibility. Put your symptoms, a pic of your rectifier to head off questions about whether the recall has been done, and add a video of the "not starting" problem if you can.

If it's intermittent, just take a video every time you start the bike until it happens, you can always delete them afterwards.

You can keep this thread for your mad ramblings then. Very Happy Thumbs Up

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:08 - 02 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:
Create a dedicated post in the Workshop section, you'll get better visibility. Put your symptoms, a pic of your rectifier to head off questions about whether the recall has been done, and add a video of the "not starting" problem if you can.

If it's intermittent, just take a video every time you start the bike until it happens, you can always delete them afterwards.

You can keep this thread for your mad ramblings then. Very Happy Thumbs Up

Yes you are right, should have posted this in Workshop sorry. Will go back to mad ramblings in this post, it suits me better. Laughing I'll get videos, good idea mate.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:53 - 07 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a leather jacket of ebay to go with my bikes. Does not really do much for my 55 year old street cred but I don't care I feel great. Sad old c***

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/yy224/struan80/301615795_531455795417765_2528255981047898471_n.jpg?width=590&height=370&fit=bounds

Life's becoming dull, need a trackday to get the shit from under my foreskin. Whatever that means.

I've got the 600 doing nothing, the 400 doing nothing. I wouldn't track the Street Triple.

It's fair enough booking a full days track time. I can only do about 20 laps before I'm kaput though. I am seriously unfit and that's why I prefer motorised cycle to pedal cycle.

See if my pals will do it with me. Can you share a bike at a bike trackday? I don't even know.

CBR 600 f2 is more or less standard. If I crashed it, it would not be the end of the world. And I will crash it by being an arse trying to do a Marquez. What happens is I get proficient at doing the laps then get just a tad brave and it all goes to ratshit.

Anyway just a thought to leave this with myself tomorrow when I'm sober.

Rangers got well gubbed tonight, great Laughing Laughing

600 photo just because.
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/yy224/struan80/20210612_125200(1).jpg?width=590&height=370&fit=bounds

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:34 - 08 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

the shoulder pads on that jacket reminded me of Dynasty Mr. Green
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 229 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 15 of 19