whats wrong with my carbs?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 02 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:

The cost of doing shims on an engine like this will be upwards of £350-£500 if taking to a shop to be done.If you choose to go that route then remove as much of the bodywork as possible as you will be charged for this.

I have seen the post on the exup1000.co.uk forum Thumbs Up
I am on there as YAMAEXUP Wink

i would be tempted to have a shop check the valves, but i dont know of any with a good reputation near me. my experience with mechanics over the years has left me with trust issues.

its a shame the exup forum is so quiet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:16 - 06 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike shops with a good reputation for doing jobs like valve shim adjustment are few and far between.I have only heard of one shop in particular who performed this procedure with the best intentions and they were in Faversham the last time I heard.Egg at K&S did a great service to a friend who needed several shims changing on his 2003 5PW-R1 where the cams needed to be moved.But they are a lot easier to do than on our engines as Exup1000 and T/Ace cams need to be removed completely so as to get at the shims as they are under-bucket.I do all of my own servicing on my R1 and Exup and know the procedure.It is not a quick job but is fulfilling knowing that you have saved yourself a lot of money and more than likely done the job correctly.

I used to know of someone who took her Suzuki to a local bike shop who is a Honda franchise in Kent.She requested that they check the clearances while doing the chain and sprockets,but there was no way that they could have checked them as the road grime on the cam cover was undisturbed.They even gave her a printout of the clearances..... Evil or Very Mad

Always have a 'Plan B'
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 257 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2