Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What have you done to your bike today?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:43 - 07 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally managed to balance carbs after changing the faulty mixture screw.
replaced it with an allen headed screw, not the brightest idea ive ever had, it was blinking awkward trying to get to the screw with a little 3 mil allen wrench Neutral
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 20:36 - 07 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

the price of Italian exotica i guess.
i imagine high powered cars can eat through consumables in no time as well.

Exactly this. My mate has a Ferrari California and got a flat tyre. He moved it about 10ft to the side of the road and fucked his alloy.. £10k they wanted for new one Shocked

Saying that, I bought a big bang R1 brand new in 2014 and the clutch went after 3 weeks. Yamaha had to replace it even though they tried to wriggle out of it and blame it on me... said you can take the whole bike back if you think I did that... they fixed it.

Also had an Aprilia RSV4 RF which I bought new in 2016 and within a month the 3rd gear dog had to be replace, the quickshifter munched it.

Happens I guess.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 20:38 - 07 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

virus wrote:
3 thousand miles and its fucked the basket that badly?! on a 35k bike? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

It's a track bike by all accounts, I imagine he twatted it on track days... fixable though and you don't lose money on R's so I'll still be up even if I sell it Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:47 - 08 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does clutch-less (with or without a proper quickshifter) increase this sort of basket wear?

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:58 - 12 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I did put all the spacers for the back wheel of ‘Project Scrappy Hyosung’ in a sonic bath.
With a bit of wire brushing and the sonic bath, they’ve come up nice and shiny clean.

Happy Pepperami is happy Thumbs Up

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:17 - 15 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Organised someone from Riverbank to collect the GSX750 and sort out its carb problem, put it through an MOT, including a discussion on how much it will cost me to get it to ULEZ compliance Rolling Eyes

But at least its not sitting being ignored any more.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:11 - 15 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the Vance & Heinz 57 exhaust on the old fella's Harley might be pleasingly anti-social the downside is the high chance of 3rd degree burns if you don't plant your leg down just right Shocked

The supposed heatshield it has is attached via steel jubilee clips with plenty of other contact points Rolling Eyes We very carefully stuck a bit of the cafe racer heatwrap under the heatshield and things are much improved! Downgraded from egg-frier to panini warmer Smile

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:26 - 15 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Organised someone from Riverbank to collect the GSX750 and sort out its carb problem, put it through an MOT, including a discussion on how much it will cost me to get it to ULEZ compliance Rolling Eyes

But at least its not sitting being ignored any more.

A bike of that age? I think you'll either have to be very lucky, or you'll be doing it fraudulently I reckon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:40 - 15 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blew them both dry with a leaf blower and stuck em in the garage now that the monsoon has arrived in Scotland.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:58 - 15 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have no intention of doing anything fraudulently. Mad

I would only go by what the guy at the shop says, because obviously I have less clues about how the thing gets done, than I have fucks to give.

Either it goes through the test, or I only ride it outside the M25, I can work on that if I have to Laughing

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:00 - 15 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Well I have no intention of doing anything fraudulently. Mad

I would only go by what the guy at the shop says, because obviously I have less clues about how the thing gets done, than I have fucks to give.

Either it goes through the test, or I only ride it outside the M25, I can work on that if I have to Laughing

Anything is possible... Or you could move into civilization with the rest of us? I had to sell my lovely VFR800 because of the ULEZ, but it does mean I now have my lovely GSX-S1000F.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:33 - 15 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Anything is possible... Or you could move into civilization with the rest of us?

Civilisation is very civilised isn't it ... Thinking

But I'm urban, see.
I like my little scumbag east London garden/flat, which is finally just starting to be nice again after many years of neglect.
Chelsea's far enough for me to commute: a little buzz through town and back, just right for hellkat.

Quote:
I had to sell my lovely VFR800 because of the ULEZ, but it does mean I now have my lovely GSX-S1000F.

Can't imagine selling either of them. Shocked
I used to have a list of must-do's, but I am happy with the pair of these (when they are going!) for quite different reasons.

A Ducati went past me on the way home last night (I was being chauffered anonymously in the Jag Laughing )
So I liked the sound of it, behind us all the way through the Dartford tunnel, sounded amazing ... and I remember when I yearned to have one of those rattly-bastard clutch ones.

But I am content with the Snarley and the GSX.
For now ... Shifty
Was thinking of buying another (newer) one but figured I might as well pull my finger outa my arse and get em fixed than buy another one to park in the front, to annoy the neighbours.

Might still get the Ducati though Shifty maybe just the scrambler, for LOLs Mr. Green

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:02 - 16 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck that, go older! "Historic" bikes are ULEZ and CC charge exempt Smile

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125435295877 1981, maybe outside the realms of "largely unmodified" Thinking

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284866483011 1980 Ducati if that's your thing, just the other side of Guildford Smile

And we've almost finished the T140 if you'd like a British classic Wink

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:55 - 16 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 of my vehicles are tax/mot exempt and CC and ULEZ exempt. I'm telling you- you have to go backwards in time! I'm surprised more people aren't buying historic vehicles specifically for the benefits. After all, there's no restriction on usage, times, mileage etc if it's a private vehicle.

As for my bike- went to the monthly club meeting near bristol, but bike charge light was flickering and sometimes on dimly all the way there (55 miles). Currely have the 14ah battery from my Honda in the ETZ251. After a few pints and time to go home I realise the charge light didn't come on at all when the ignition was switched on- I decided to ride on but soon realised the battery wasn't being charged at all now (on the way was intermittent). I could see that it wasn't being charged (I've a voltage gauge mounted) but I just couldn't stand the hickups and misfires and bogging anymore.

Stopped near Crick to see if I could see anything. Brushes on the alternator were fine.....long enough by a long way and still springy and not a bad surface to ride on either rotor connection wise. But simply removing them and putting them back seemed to work, and the battery was being charged all the way home.
Still have my other issues with the bike though, the leaking core plug, the slipping clutch and the stalling at idle. Rolling Eyes

I have the new 75.6mm piston for the ETZ250 but have yet to have time to put the bike all together. The car is taking my time at the minute replacing metal that used to solid but now have holes. Still a way to go on that, but the rear is done- just some work in the floor pan and some in the skuttle (that will be a pain!).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:58 - 17 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

New exhaust fitted to the Viffer. Sounds ace - can’t wait for a ride out!

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:07 - 19 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

big and ugly looking to my eyes Sick

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:05 - 19 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

More on the rolling noise-abatement order* Smile It's performance is a bit lumpy at the low end so we decided it needed a remap. The traditional dyno route requires extra Harley tax so something like Power Commander V starts to look more economical. V&H does a mouth-breather version that's a bit cheaper and we plugged it in today...

Wow! Talk about easy. Are you up for downloading an app and doing Bluetooth pairing? If so you can remap Harleys Laughing Bike model auto-detected, pick your menu of parts, flash Cool

As an aside the pipes apparently have baffles. "These things get louder?!"

*1690cc into straight pipes

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:24 - 21 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old fella's Bonnie had been sitting about for a while due to the steering being a bit "crunchy." We wondered whether one of the bearing cages had cracked so ordered some replacements.

Took the front apart today and the old bearings and races all look fine so we just cleaned and re-greased everything (there was hardly any grease left in there) put it all back together and the steering seems fine now Smile

TBH the lazy option as the new bearings were the tapered sort and we would have had to knock out the old ones. Only the one on the bottom yolk would have been a pain; to get out without damaging the rubber dust cover anyway.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:41 - 21 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed the amber lens had fallen out of the right-rear indicator but I had a pair of Oxford mini-arrows bought in a Halfords sale sometime ago so on they went. The LED lights came with resistors. They’re not as bright as I’d hoped, or maybe it’s that the orange light doesn’t seem to fill the space. OK though.

https://i.postimg.cc/vHvZnpLY/0-AE8-D567-B06-A-4332-BB55-1942246-AAA9-D.jpg

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:26 - 22 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil and filter change on teh XJ/Radian which involved removing the exhaust.. got my copperslip out for the studs then a bloke came to the door offering to chop down a tree in my front garden for 80, no 60, no 50 quid..
.. sent him packing but then realized my tube of copperslip had vanished with him (twas sitting atop my wheelie bin awaiting usage) . Tosser.

Found a few pin head sized bits of ally in the old oil which I've chosen to ignore.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:33 - 22 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got around to installing replacement piston in one MZ, after fishing out all the ring remnants from the exhaust silencer. Unfortunately the ring broke soon after re-building the engine (new main bearings). Ring managed to spin due to retaining pin recessing into the piston.
Sounds good with the replacement 76mm piston (standard=69mm). Thankfully there was minimal damage to barrel that only consituted my requirement to deburr the exhaust port.

2nd MZ, the mirror fell of Friday, well actually it literally came off in my hands whilst I was riding and wondering why it was jiggling all of a sudden. I was considering then frisbying the mirror to the side, but decided to keep it- might be able to do something with it. Obviously the rust and fatigue have got to it. Replaced the unit for now.

https://scontent-lhr8-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.15752-9/299943592_482743896532014_5939287672219957578_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=ae9488&_nc_ohc=1_WvtztHVIcAX9o3hwE&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-2.xx&oh=03_AVJSmhOiZWk3uX_2zhWAArF_a3dC_vrg_wQYLORqUTTQvQ&oe=632975E1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:06 - 22 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changed sprocket on ethe Viffer, went +2 teeth. Speedo over-reads by a noticable margin, but that's what phones and GPS are for. Accelerates nice and briskly now, because honestly, when am I going to use much north of a ton commuting to work.
https://i.imgur.com/IY8LRT9l.jpg

Found the fault on the Fireblade, Fuel Pressure regulator. Ordered an OEM one, half the price from the US, even with taxes etc included. Cheapo copies are £15 on fleabay, but I'm not sure I trust those in a high pressure fuel system.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:47 - 22 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Changed sprocket on ethe Viffer, went +2 teeth. Speedo over-reads by a noticable margin...

Going a bit bigger is the chain rubbing against any of the covers? Also, where's the speedo pickup? Last few bikes I've been working on it's usually hanging off a wheel hub so unaffected by drive-chain changes Thinking

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:11 - 22 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Also, where's the speedo pickup? Last few bikes I've been working on it's usually hanging off a wheel hub so unaffected by drive-chain changes Thinking

Ha! Anything younger than about 20 years will have it driven off the gearbox and 10 years old is likely to be driven electronically.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:23 - 22 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pickup is driven off the output shaft, you have to remove it to change the front sprocket. Covers are well spaced, and the eccentric hub has plenty of adjustment to allow the not at all worn chain to stay on there.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 237 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Page 26 of 47