Doing licenses without any lessons?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic : View next topic  

pbt
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:30 - 16 Jun 2022    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:
I went down the DAS route which was ideal for me as only ever rode around L plates on a 125.

Will probably get flamed for this but although not exactly "legal" - couldn't the OP borrow a friends 600+cc bike, either pillion to test centre or on trailer for the tests? I don't recall being asked about insurance

Examiner... blah, blah... can you read and sign the residency and insurance declaration to confirm you are a UK resident and the bike is insured for the purposes of the test....

You obviously weren't listening and/or paying attention

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:22 - 17 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

these type of posts .. like can i take a test on my m8 600cc ? ..
because DAS is so expensive ... have become the new "does anyone nod anymore " threads .. and should be treated as such ...

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 07:57 - 18 Jun 2022    Post subject: Re: Doing licenses without any lessons? Reply with quote

rb3rbrtberb wrote:

Yeah, thing is, the Mod1 is cheap, £15.50? I means I could take it 10 times before actually getting upset, I'm sure you would learn from your mistakes and pass at some point.

I think for £15.50 I would risk it a few times, and if I was still failing then I would get a lesson.

I'm not a total cheapskate, but I called around riding schools and was shocked at the prices to do the lessons and tests, like £900-£1200 and saying direct access etc, I can't imagine I need 10 lessons on the road of 3 hours each.. that in my eyes is totally ridiculous... I get it for someone that might have never drove a car on the road and was first time of being a rider/driver... etc.

I got that feeling it was all a bit of a rip off tbh, I get they lend you the bikes and insurance etc, so thats what I'm trying to work out, do I pay rape prices of a £1k.. or do I buy a bike for £1-2k just to get my license lol.

Not being funny, you've got to buy the gear you ride in anyways if you want to ride on the road.

I just don't understand how a CBT is £150.. and Mod 1 is £15.50, makes no sense to me.

The price is what it is for a skill to keep you alive - if £1k is too much, dont do it - simple. You have never ridden a bike before? A vehicle with (lets say for a basic learner bike) the acceleration of an early 2000s Ferrari 360 Modena (not the fastest super car in the world but... you wouldn't want it as your first car), but with half as many wheels, much less stability, and no protective elements?

If you do the mod 1 on a 125 it's only valid on a 125. If you want a bigger bike you need to buy a bigger bike, and insure it for the test (good luck getting insurance on a bike you don't have a licesnse for) and at very least you would need a van or trailer to take it to the Mod 1 test site (because they won't come to your work car park, sorry pal). So yeah it's £15 for the test, plus insurance for a bike you can't really insure, plus hiring a van every time you fail, and IF you pass, you pass by luck, without having any of the skills you need to actualy stay safe on the road. It isn't a great plan, sorry to tell you.

We all get annpyed at having to pay £££ for a license but that's the cost of entry these days. If it's too much it's too much, sorry. If you try to cheat the system you're going to probably end up cheating yourself more.

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 08:08 - 18 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

Yeah and 'homes' include flats which are now getting permission to be built without parking.. Case in point old school near me has redevelopment approval for 50+ 1 or 2 bed flats but less than half will have a parking space.. FFS. Councils spokesman said resident will walk or cycle to shops work etc.. - my fucking hairy arse they will.

Underground parking is the only way forwards I think. It's common in other areas of the world and while unpleasant, it's probably the only realistic option

Abaaba
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:46 - 16 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is something I considered when trying to get my license.

is it doable? yes but depends on what licence you going for and if a friend or a family member is going to help you or not

125CC is easy..do CBT, get a bike, insure & taxi disc - ride around and take the mod1, mod 2 test till you pass it

anything above 125cc, you cant ride without an instructor (correct me if I am wrong) so here is where you need a friend or family member with a bigger bike, of course, you need to be insured on that bike to take the test (mod 1 and mod2) till you pass..........remember you cant even practice on those bigger bikes unless you have a qualified instructor with you so it is a case getting the bike to the test centre and trying your luck.

cost of getting the licence via instructor/school = about 1k
doing it solo - unless you pass the tests 1st time, which is highly unlikely, the cost will add up and might end up paying close to 1k

here is the final thing to consider, no substitute for a good experienced/qualified instructor and what you can learn from them.

disclaimer: I am NOT an instructor and do NOT work for riding school but appreciate what they do
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:49 - 17 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

rb3rbrtberb wrote:
Just wanted to say, this is going to be my very last post, so just wanted to thank everyone for their positive comments, its really much appreciated and very helpful in making my decision.

Its a shame biking isn't as accessible as I thought it would be without spending £1500 and 30-50h worth of training, one day when the government decides they want this very over complicated processed streamlined and its more straightforward where you can just do a simple bike test to show your ride a bike regardless of CC restrictions, I will be first to sign up. (Just like when the gov decided that trailer licenses B+E that we had to take to prove we could hook a trailer up safely and could be trusted to pull a 3.5t trailer behind our vehicle safely is no longer required and everyone can just do it without zero experience).

End of the day, if bikers what more people to become bikers and be part of this, then they need to make it simpler to get licensed, not "easer" just more straightforward.

I've bought an bike in the end, a Motor cross offroad only bike, a 2023 KTM 300SX two stroke, which is now on order.. I took that £1500 I was going to waste on a bike license and put it towards a long wheel base, high roof van which I can put a sofa in the back of while I'm track side enjoying the bike Smile

Take care everyone, thanks again.

Best of luck with the new bike.

I think you might have a long wait for testing procedures to get any easier. When I was a youngster I bought a BSA C15 in a box of bits with the plan that by the time I was old enough to sit the yest I'd have a bike to do it on. I never did finish that bike, the year before I was old enough to do the test the government dropped the max bike size to 125.
That was in 1983, since then the government has been systematically squeezing potential new bikers off the road by making ever more hoops to jump through - the reality is that they don't want bikers on the road, why would they make things any easier?

Lastly, when I relocated to the US in 2015 one of the first things I did was get the endorsement on my driving licence for motorcycles. Florida's car licence is ridiculously easy to obtain, I have a harder time buying decent chocolate from a petrol station but for bikers, as there is no test requirement in FL, they insist that you attend a three day nationally recognised training course. At the time I was a little put out, after all I'd been navigating roads on a bike in the UK for over 30 years, many of those years it was my only form of transport, what on earth could I learn from a course designed for newbies.
As expected, I was the only one on the course with previous experience but it wasn't a total waste of time, I did learn a few new tricks.
Moral of the story, you can teach an old dog new tricks. Motorcycling on the roads is a totally different ball game from driving a car and if there is training available I'd recommend that it is taken.
Sure the current testing sequence in the UK is a royal pain in the butt but at least bikers don't die nearly as often as countries that only require a half arsed effort to train people. And while I may not have agreed with it 15 years ago I am now inclined to think that there should be a mandatory refresher course every ten years or so... Shifty

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:21 - 17 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yeah.. OP starts with this..

Quote:
My end goal is simple, I want to buy a Yamaha WR250F for using off road with some small use on road

Then end by saying hes ordered a KTM 300 Moto-X race bike.. That's a £10k 99kg 57HP bike by the way, that would scare the bejesus out of me I reckon.

Lets hope he's a quick learner on the dirt.. and where to ride? Not green lanes as that still needs a licence - right?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:37 - 17 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - green lanes are (unmade) public roads

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125
mailbnade03 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:59 - 10 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

mailbnade03 wrote:
I'm pretty sure that if you take the MOD1 on a 125 you'll only get a 125 licence - regardless of what you attempt to do the MOD2 on.

You made an account and resurrected a thread just to say something that was already said? Rolling Eyes
mailbnade03 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:10 - 10 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

And your point is? Or have the nurses been distracted so that your dementia riddled brain has gone amok on the Internet?

Your zero sized font is an arse btw.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:17 - 10 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/url]https://get-vidmateapp.com/[url]
[/url]https://get-mobdroapk.com[url][/url]

Ooooh, stealth spam. Bend over darling.....
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 251 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4