Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Time to change the underpants.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mario_Kempes
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 08:50 - 11 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

First big bike, a 2005 Hornet in blazing metallic orange.

I'm out carving through a mountain pass (near Begues in Catalonia) at tortoise like speeds thinking I am the man when I come across a parade of harleys in formation. "Road chief" the lot.

Every curve they slow down to, no exaggeration, about 10mph when they are easily done at 30-50mph. I know the road well so I know there's only 1 straight for the next 10 miles or so.

Straight comes up and I go for it, there's about 16-20 harleys and they're all doubled up. Of course, now they're speeding up.

I get to the about 3 rows from the front and it becomes clear I'm not going to make it and there's traffic coming. Harleys won't break formation to let me back in. One of them shouts something at me.

No choice but to go into teh (foot to foot and a half deep) grassy drainage ditch at the other side of the road as the car zooms past me horn blaring. I stand on the pegs and, miraculously, don't go down despite all the rocks and crap in there.

A couple of the harley riders stop to see I'm alright. I'm too embarassed to say anything other than "thanks". I catch up with them in about 5 mons and am stuck behind them for the rest of my ride.

From that point on, I'd check local Harley groups on Facebook to make sure I don't end up on the same road as them.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 00:51 - 12 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on a nice straight road in mid wales. You could see far ahead and I went for an overtake. What I didn't realise was that there was a dip in the road ahead and a car was now coming directly towards me.

I suspect it may have been more sensible to slam on the anchors and pull back in behind the car I was overtaking, or it may be that I was committed by then. It was many years ago now so I dont remember.

What I did was high speed filtering with me on the white dotted line probably passing at 70 the car which was doing 60 on my left, with another car skimming past me doing 60 going the other way.

I only had time to think about what just happened afterward.

Beware of dips in the road that hide oncoming vehicles kids.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:02 - 12 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:

Definitely, although these days on any road wide enough for two lanes of traffic and isn't a backroad will probably have a centre line, if there are hidden dips it'll almost certainly be hazard lines (i.e. 6m line, 3m gap, rather than vice versa) if not double whites.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:42 - 12 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
colin1 wrote:

Definitely, although these days on any road wide enough for two lanes of traffic and isn't a backroad will probably have a centre line, if there are hidden dips it'll almost certainly be hazard lines (i.e. 6m line, 3m gap, rather than vice versa) if not double whites.

It's surprising how many people don't know there's a difference...

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:42 - 12 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
It's surprising how many people don't know there's a difference...

Indeed. Saw the results from a survey recently (drivers, so probably worse) on their response to being shown various signs and road markings. It was quite alarming . . .

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:17 - 12 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
I suspect it may have been more sensible to slam on the anchors and pull back in behind the car I was overtaking, or it may be that I was committed by then.

You probably did the right thing... I recall a very comparable incident which is my own brown-trouser moment, in fact: I tried to abort an overtake, however the car I was overtaking 'helpfully' jammed on his own brakes to help me get past him in time, at the same time as I did so. I then had to switch from braking very hard to accelerating very hard; fortunately I just made it. Ouch.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:22 - 13 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooning around one of my favourite local roads, I rounded a particularly fast bend only to be confronted by a tractor hedge cutter.
No problem, I'll just slip past, into the path of an oncoming car.
Luckily the bike is very flickable.
Too fast for the conditions? Of course. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:01 - 13 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
I was following a car with Scottish plates and he pulled on to the verge I thought maybe kids on board suddenly going to puke or needed a wee.
So carried on past at sedate speed not even 50.
But he suddenly started to do an unsignalled U turn - had obviously missed that theme park turn off.
I braked and just hoped he kept going and didn't panic brake too.
Missed back bumper by inches

I reckon out of all the stories in this thread this one browns the trousers the most. In most of the other yarns, the rider was either behaving like a self-confessed dick, or if they weren't, then at least will have hopefully learned how to avoid a similar scenario in the future by defensive riding.

But this one? How the hell are we meant to predict something like this happening? Makes the blood run cold.

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:15 - 14 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the day when I was in my 'no licence so anything legal with L-plates' phase I had acquired a Z440 twin with an old Squire sidecar, thinking this would be an easy way to go fast - obviously I had no clue, and no experience aside from mopeds and 100s for about 10 minutes.

I clipped a kerb with the sidecar wheel when exiting a roundabout; immediately the chair was up in the air at the same level as my head with me now on the wrong side of the road, shitting myself mightily. Mercifully there was no-one else using that bit of tarmac at the time... don't ask me how I got the chair wheel down again without writing off myself and the heap in question - I have genuinely no idea, blind panic, mostly - but I did.

In fact, the gods were really smiling on me that day, as I had just got the whole plot back under control in time to wobble innocently past a cop car that was parked further down the road. That was about 35 years ago now; I've been in some tight corners since then but never actually, genuinely as in fear of my life as I was that day.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 14 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Low siding my trusty old Z400 into the front of an oncoming Shell artic petrol tanker and body surfing down the catseyes coming to halt by his rear wheels was quite the buzz. Had to stay with the driver as he went into shock. Laughing

Lesson: Don't ever run on cheap tyres that are through to the webbing, at least, not in wet weather. Laughing

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:24 - 14 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a couple of close shaves with cars pulling out on me.

Worst thing though is when my front wheel went into a grove on the road, my bars shook so so much I thought, that's it, death is approaching.

Nearly rammed into the back of my mates bike when he chose to take a last minute decision to turn right at a junction. He slammed on his brakes, no indicator, just missed hitting him. My fault for riding to close but I had a stern word.

Blah blah
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:47 - 15 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the day, out near Chester on my FZR600, one mate on his CBR1000, the other on another with his wife on the back.

The roads were wet, but being on a 600 I had to work hard to keep up so when we stopped at the traffic light to turn left, I decided I needed to give it some to get away. Lights changed, lots of revs through first gear, into second and the back end starts to come round. More through luck that skill, I managed to stay upright, gather it all together and disappear down the road.

When we stopped for a tea break later, my mates were impressed, my mate's wife wasn't and she didn't speak to me for weeks after
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 01:23 - 27 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had quite a few on all bikes over these 4 years but I can only think of the ones on the zx9r, not that they're that much compared to some of yours.

1. Had the bike for a couple weeks, getting used to the power. Going home from ace, another friend on the hornet gases it down the ramp onto the a406, here we go I think! Cept I didn't account for the weight of my very relaxed pillion sitting upright. Front wheel comes up, friend scrambles for dear life and manages to get hold of me, come down and bounce up again as I grabbed the throttle, come down crooked and go wee weeing all over the lane. Bike sorts itself out and onwards I go very calmly. Must have been a spectacle. Friend was very quite for awhile.

2. Moving house, got a friend to ride my other bike to the new place. He overtakes getting onto the parkway in Feltham, I can't make it so overtake after the turn and gas it. Suddenly there's a lorry turning into the road. Oh I'm going 100mph, great. Brake ike fuck, and do an almighty rolling stoppie. Released some and bike came down, I slowed enough not to have a rear bumper for braces.

3. Roadtrip to south of France. Trying to keep up with this uber cool Frenchie on some tricked out Buell down a brand new road, amazing. Until, reaaaaally long bend, too much speed, I look left I see the road worrying close, I took right I see an abyss. Pray to hell and lean a lil more (probs ok but over my comfort zone). I lost sight of him after that, when we reached destination 10 mins later I just sat next to the bike wondering about the meaning of life for awhile.

4. Just the other day, I was changing lanes on mway, I look to the left nada, mirror nada, as soon as I cross the line a car speeds past me like fuck, missing me by very little. Not sure where it came from tbh, probably a bad observation on my side.

Mostly I learnt, beware of how much speed creeps, never try to keep up.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:26 - 27 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:

This is a big problem when driving in the states, I almost wrecked a brand new Mustang once somewhere in Missouri.
Those endless straight roads hide many a vehicle with a mixture of undulation and heat glare.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:38 - 30 Sep 2022    Post subject: Re: Time to change the underpants. Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
What's the most frightening experience you have had on a bike, that you walked away from physically unharmed, and maybe learned something to stand you in good stead for your future riding?

Mine goes all the way back to my earliest days with my Kawasaki GPz750 Turbo.
I had it in a lock-up before I'd even passed my test, and would go out and sneak rides on it late at night.
I was on a very wide, multi-lane dual carriageway (where the A406 North Circular joins the M11). A gentle downhill slope, I was in one of the nearside lanes heading for the roundabout that the beginning of the motorway then passes over. I had wound it on full throttle, speed probably got up to something like 130mph or thereabouts when the bike went into the most terrifying and violent tank slapper, a proper lock-to-lock one.

Here I was, a total n00b on big bikes, with no idea that a bike could do something like that, and no idea of how to react. They don't teach you such things in novice bike training!

I remember feeling that it would be a mistake to try to brake, or even to try to take firm charge of the steering. It seemed to go on forever, but couldn't have lasted more than a few seconds in reality. I just really lightened my grip on the bars (which I could barely touch anyway, so violent was the movement going on), let go of the throttle, and waited for my imminent demise when it would finally spit me off. But fortunately, it settled out quickly as the speed dropped. To this day, I have no idea if there was something I could have done to take back charge quicker than I did, and thankfully, have never experienced another one. And thank the heavens that it happened in such a wide open space late at night when there was very little other traffic around!

I rode straight home, put the bike away, and went to bed, probably with the adrenaline still coursing through me Laughing

I'm not sure what lessons I specifically learned from that, other than that big, powerful bikes deserve a lot of respect, and maybe I learned something about sensitivity to how a bike is behaving from moment to moment, when it's telling you to back off before you get into trouble.

Following you around some random roads in Wales. Rolling Eyes Shocked Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:12 - 30 Sep 2022    Post subject: Re: Time to change the underpants. Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
What's the most frightening experience you have had on a bike, that you walked away from physically unharmed, and maybe learned something to stand you in good stead for your future riding?

Following you around some random roads in Wales. Rolling Eyes Shocked Laughing

Funnily enough, I don't remember any frightening moments from my riding in Wales, although for a period I had a lot of fun there.
When I broke my back, well that wasn't frightening, just stupid inattention on my part, slow speed anyway.

Wales is the place that really taught me how to be in control with fast (ish) riding, was probably at my best for a while then.

What you did following me isn't my problem Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:06 - 17 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big lorry tried to run me off the road just after the exit junction of the NEC Birmingham arena. Forgot what motorway it is...

Anyway I was running out of road on the junction and had to pull into the motorway just as the lorry was trying really hard to close the gap... Anyway i got in. A bit later when the roads cleared up a little, he then went into the third lane (I was still in the 4th lane) he travelled up about half way. And then started pulling into my lane pushing me into the side of the road... while doing 70...

I had to break so fucking hard to get back behind him so he didnt run me off....

So wish I had a camera for that... Would have reported them.

andys675
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:48 - 20 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

in lifford lane, kings norton birmingham there used to be a bridge, the road was flat the one side of the bridge and the other side the road dropped away at what felt like a 45 degree angle, they did fix it years ago however

so going back to say 87 or 88 I had a VT500, and my mates out with us were on an RD400 and a CX500

coming back from evesham where we'd been to see someone we headed back and ended up on lifford lane, I wasn't too clued up at the time but CX500 dropped back and I was chasing the RD400 flat out with another mate on the pillion

we hit the bridge at easy 80 mph, no sudden lift but the bike started to drop away from underneath me as we sped into the air

so I'm midair with just the bars in my hands, pillion is looking down at my helmet

the VT hits the road, I land in the saddle and pillion lands back in the seat behind me, and we carry on, as you do

got back to RD400 owners house and the guy on the CX gives us the telling off of telling offs, he thought we were never going to make it

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:23 - 20 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

andys675 wrote:
the guy on the CX gives us the telling off of telling offs, he thought we were never going to make it

Never mind CX guy, what did your pillion have to say? Or were they incapable of speech? Shocked

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:03 - 22 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

andys675 wrote:
in lifford lane, kings norton birmingham there used to be a bridge, the road was flat the one side of the bridge and the other side the road dropped away at what felt like a 45 degree angle, they did fix it years ago however

so going back to say 87 or 88 I had a VT500, and my mates out with us were on an RD400 and a CX500

coming back from evesham where we'd been to see someone we headed back and ended up on lifford lane, I wasn't too clued up at the time but CX500 dropped back and I was chasing the RD400 flat out with another mate on the pillion

we hit the bridge at easy 80 mph, no sudden lift but the bike started to drop away from underneath me as we sped into the air

so I'm midair with just the bars in my hands, pillion is looking down at my helmet

the VT hits the road, I land in the saddle and pillion lands back in the seat behind me, and we carry on, as you do

got back to RD400 owners house and the guy on the CX gives us the telling off of telling offs, he thought we were never going to make it

Are there not bridges all around the country where people go specifically to do just that?
I remember the days when a few of us would head out on the Princetown - Exeter road with the bridge at Poundsgate being the highlight of the trip. The bridge is still there.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:31 - 25 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:

Are there not bridges all around the country where people go specifically to do just that?
I remember the days when a few of us would head out on the Princetown - Exeter road with the bridge at Poundsgate being the highlight of the trip. The bridge is still there.

in my area it was it was a spot down a country lane known as lee lump.
i remember going over it in a fully loaded Austin Metro that was a hire car.
the landing broke the subframe and we had to limp home.
dont think my mate got his deposit back on that one Mr. Green

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:36 - 25 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
andys675 wrote:

I used to do that at the end of the road Jensen Button grew up in with my brother on the back of my bike...

(He lived in Vobster, I lived in Coleford and used to go through Vobster to get to Frome and there is still a majestic hump back bridge in upper vobster and so we used to go that way just for the crack.)

Redn8lackGaz
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 07:58 - 09 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys.....I'll confess to not being a biker but have joined this forum to hopefully hear some positive news after an incident I saw on the M1 yesterday morning.
I was driving north up to the footie match at Leicester, between junctions 20 & 21 (I think) when 3 bikers went past me at speed. My son commented how fast they were going and when I looked in the mirror there were maybe 100 more coming up behind.
A few cars went past but no bikers, which I thought strange, so took a look in my mirror. They had all pulled across the 3 lanes, still about 100 yards back holding back the traffic and one of them was out front doing a wheelie.
I told my 9 year old son to look behind and he was like wow!
I kept an eye in my mirror and wheelie guy suddenly pulled away at speed zigzagging across the road, but not for long.... as he got to lane 3 and turned back, the back wheel kicked out and both him and bike proceeded to slide across the tarmac to the hard shoulder.
I think I saw him stand up, but cannot be sure and was wondering if anyone had any information.
I really hope he is ok... he may have been showing off....I guess it was preplanned which is why they blocked all 3 lanes, but still didn't like seeing someone being hurt.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:17 - 09 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Edit: you have the odd bit of copper vocabulary in there...

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:55 - 09 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s chavs copying stuff they’ve seen on YouTube from the USA. Last year one died in a collision between them on the A1 in Bedfordshire so they all came back for a ‘vigil’ a week later in such numbers that the police had to allow it, much to the annoyance of everyone else.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4