Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Current injuries

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:50 - 11 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a net contributer I put myself within the have rather than the have not camp.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:06 - 11 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do know you can pay extra voluntary tax contributions?

Nobby, be proactive, and stop with the virtue signalling. Set an example. I've been a contributor. That doesn't make me special. You're not fooling anyone but yourself.

But anyway, this isn't the thread for this discussion.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:12 - 11 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I said I think there should be a safety net.
You call me a thief as a result.
I then point out I'm a net contributer.
You then call me a virtue signaller.

Do you read stuff before you post?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:14 - 11 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
So I said I think there should be a safety net.
You call me a thief as a result.
I then point out I'm a net contributer.
You then call me a virtue signaller.

Do you read stuff before you post?

The contradictions are yours Wink
Take it to the politics section Nobby. You know people get annoyed when this stuff gets into every thread and section.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:23 - 11 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

I'm also a smoker. I know the risks. And I have had a few periods here and there in my life where I haven't paid NI contributions due to unemployment - in that situation now, and have been for a few years now. Still think I deserve NHS treatment? What about those who live healthy, safe lives and are unfortunate enough to contract some illness, or are involved in a non-fault accident that leaves them in need of treatment...our NHS is tottering, is it fair for someone like me to place additional strain on it through my poor life choices?

You see, there's virtue signalling, and then there's principle. The first is pretty common, and cheap as chips.

See, that could also be called virtue signalling. Smile

The NHS was (and is) intended to be free at the point of delivery for all that need its services. Rich or poor, working or not. We all pay taxes and contribute at some point in our lives (OK there are exceptions to this but the principle stands) and some of those taxes go to the NHS to provide health care. Denying yourself access is your personal choice of course, but at some point that becomes a bit similar to being a self flagellating ascetic.. Wink

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:33 - 11 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

I'm also a smoker. I know the risks. And I have had a few periods here and there in my life where I haven't paid NI contributions due to unemployment - in that situation now, and have been for a few years now. Still think I deserve NHS treatment? What about those who live healthy, safe lives and are unfortunate enough to contract some illness, or are involved in a non-fault accident that leaves them in need of treatment...our NHS is tottering, is it fair for someone like me to place additional strain on it through my poor life choices?

You see, there's virtue signalling, and then there's principle. The first is pretty common, and cheap as chips.

See, that could also be called virtue signalling. Smile

No, I disagree with that. Virtue signalling is making claims about how good you are when you don't do anything to back it up. It's about lazy words with no commitment Wink
And I should stress, unlike the virtue signallers, I don't consider myself a wonderful person (as I'm sure you'll agree Laughing ). Unlike Nobby, I'm not pretending to be something I'm obviously not.

Quote:
The NHS was (and is) intended to be free at the point of delivery for all that need its services. Rich or poor, working or not. We all pay taxes and contribute at some point in our lives (OK there are exceptions to this but the principle stands) and some of those taxes go to the NHS to provide health care. Denying yourself access is your personal choice of course, but at some point that becomes a bit similar to being a self flagellating ascetic.. Wink

At what point? Exactly?

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:38 - 11 Aug 2022    Post subject: Re: Current injuries Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

For a while I was only able to move about by crawling on my knees and my left elbow.

i must be a bit of a sick pup because reading that actually made me laugh out loud Embarassed
best of luck MJ

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:45 - 11 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

No, I disagree with that. Virtue signalling is making claims about how good you are when you don't do anything to back it up. It's about lazy words with no commitment Wink
And I should stress, unlike the virtue signallers, I don't consider myself a wonderful person (as I'm sure you'll agree Laughing ). Unlike Nobby, I'm not pretending to be something I'm obviously not.

"Virtue signalling is the expression of a moral viewpoint with the intent of communicating good character." Wink

chickenstrip wrote:
At what point? Exactly?

I'm sure you'll realise when. Laughing

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:48 - 11 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the usual set of aches and pains that come with getting older but nothing that could compare with the ones posted here!

I hope you all get well/improve/find relief soon. Thumbs Up

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:50 - 11 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

"Virtue signalling is the expression of a moral viewpoint with the intent of communicating good character." Wink

So it obviously isn't what I'm doing then, is it? Have you stuck that lens cap to your fucking eyes now?! Laughing

Quote:
chickenstrip wrote:
At what point? Exactly?

I'm sure you'll realise when. Laughing

So you agree that I'm not self-flagellating*. So all of your last reply was pointless Razz
Thank you for your honesty...at last.

*can't afford the tissues until my pension goes in next week.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:53 - 11 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
I have the usual set of aches and pains that come with getting older but nothing that could compare with the ones posted here!

I hope you all get well/improve/find relief soon. Thumbs Up

GTFO Middle Finger
Oh sorry, force of habit, gotta stop all this virtue signalling I keep doing! Embarassed

Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:12 - 11 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I've been through the wars as I said but there is one thing that frightens the life out of me, the thought of going blind.

A relative is currently going through this, and it's hereditary so yay that's something to potentially look forward to Neutral I don't know what I would do personally, it depends how much eyesight you lost.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:46 - 11 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usual 'getting old' ailments like failing eyesight, hearing, Alanna Myles etc. Also, whilst not in the same league as others here, I have recently developed achilles tendonitis in both legs, and I have a flakey bum-crack.

I won't be bothering the NHS with either of these complaints, not out of some sense of social responsibility but rather because the chances of getting an appointment are slim indeed, and I don't fancy trying to explain a parmesan cleft on the phone.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:08 - 12 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the NHS that is for everyone is the same one where everyone's complaining they can't get appointments and treatment? So me, who hasn't paid NI contributions in ages and doesn't bother going to them, I am no worse off than those who are fully paid up users? (or would-be users). Someone's being had here!

Hang on a minute...didn't they just put NI contributions up? What, to pay for the service to continue to deteriorate? Confused

You'd be surprised how much you can put up with before you crawl into your local A&E Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:00 - 12 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
I have recently developed achilles tendonitis in both legs

I hope you can address it, I started getting pain in both achilles around 5-6 years ago, and it seemingly developed into chronic heel and plantar fascia pain. I've had tendonitis in both wrists/arms for even longer, but I've found the issues with my feet more debilitating.

Diggs wrote:
I won't be bothering the NHS with either of these complaints, not out of some sense of social responsibility but rather because the chances of getting an appointment are slim indeed

My feet/tendon issues actually started with insoles the NHS provided to try and address knee issues/pain (which I still have as well) Brick Wall Although as above I would recommenced you try and get it sorted and don't ignore it.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 07:49 - 12 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

N.I. Contributions are for entitlement to retirement pension and some contributary benefits.

The NHS is paid for out of general taxation.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:26 - 12 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Fact checker says: Wrong. Or at least partially misleading.

https://www.tax.org.uk/national-insurance-contributions-nics-an-explainer

Quote:
Q. Didn’t Gordon Brown do something like this?

Well remembered. In 2003 the then Labour Government raised NICs by one per cent to fund the NHS. Business leaders and Conservatives criticised it as a ‘jobs tax’ and accused Labour of breaking the spirit of their manifesto, which had promised no increases in income tax (but hadn’t mentioned National Insurance).

https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/projects/nhs-in-a-nutshell/how-nhs-funded?gclid=CjwKCAjw9NeXBhAMEiwAbaY4ltm4fqn2ukvXmI0im7I5nrUsEGHdhLN7loeBZry05P8EjazGRYs8SxoCeP0QAvD_BwE

Quote:
From April 2003, National Insurance Contributions were increased to boost NHS funding. This increased the share of NHS funding that comes from National Insurance Contributions, but general taxation still accounts for the vast majority of NHS funding.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:10 - 12 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
trying to explain a parmesan cleft .

Google suggests olive oil Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:56 - 12 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Fact checker says: Wrong. Or at least partially misleading.

https://www.tax.org.uk/national-insurance-contributions-nics-an-explainer

Quote:
Q. Didn’t Gordon Brown do something like this?

Well remembered. In 2003 the then Labour Government raised NICs by one per cent to fund the NHS. Business leaders and Conservatives criticised it as a ‘jobs tax’ and accused Labour of breaking the spirit of their manifesto, which had promised no increases in income tax (but hadn’t mentioned National Insurance).

https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/projects/nhs-in-a-nutshell/how-nhs-funded?gclid=CjwKCAjw9NeXBhAMEiwAbaY4ltm4fqn2ukvXmI0im7I5nrUsEGHdhLN7loeBZry05P8EjazGRYs8SxoCeP0QAvD_BwE

Quote:
From April 2003, National Insurance Contributions were increased to boost NHS funding. This increased the share of NHS funding that comes from National Insurance Contributions, but general taxation still accounts for the vast majority of NHS funding.

It's ok arry, I never pay too much attention to anything Nobby says Laughing

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:02 - 12 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember when I haven't been in some sort of pain from something. My knee is a steady 4, my feet at a 2, my neck is at a 6, my hernia is having a flare up and at an 8, my rib muscles at an 8 too. My thumb joint at a 2. My favourite finger is a 3. Pain killers don't seem to work these days, or rather the amount I reluctantly force myself to take don't work. Ankles are a 3 and I have a toenail that keeps going to a 4 every now and then for no reason that I can see.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:22 - 12 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
Diggs wrote:
trying to explain a parmesan cleft .

Google suggests olive oil Laughing

Chuck in some sun-dried tomatos and its a meal right there! Laughing

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:09 - 12 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Take it to the politics section Nobby. You know people get annoyed when this stuff gets into every thread and section.

I was going to just say "pot, meet kettle" but it deserves more. Not that you will care, as you shall no doubt point out.

While I don't spend as much time here as I used to, you're one of the stand out names for bringing "this stuff" into a thread. A constant stream of specious argument, devil's advocate and arguing for the sake of it. Often with no real discussion and just fishing for disagreements so you can score points, or at least that's how it looks to a vaguely interested observer.

Anyways, back to the point.

Still got a fucked spine. Still on crutches but so far avoided a wheelchair. Can't really ride much now. Still, when things get bad there's always a positive, it might only be "I haven't shit myself today" but you take the morale boost where you can get it Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:18 - 12 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarmacsurfer wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

I was going to just say "pot, meet kettle" but it deserves more. Not that you will care, as you shall no doubt point out.

While I don't spend as much time here as I used to, you're one of the stand out names for bringing "this stuff" into a thread. A constant stream of specious argument, devil's advocate and arguing for the sake of it. Often with no real discussion and just fishing for disagreements so you can score points, or at least that's how it looks to a vaguely interested observer.

I don't deny it Razz
Apart from the scoring points bit. I couldn't give a fuck about that Smile

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:25 - 13 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to hold books etc about 18" away now, eyes getting older. Mild aches and stiffness first thing in the morning. I do have to be careful how I lift heavy things, back's a bit dodgy.

Viking genes, baby. Cool

Irezumi
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:39 - 13 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Tbh, although I might have a little whinge about aches and pains on occasion, I don't like to go into great detail, since all mine were brought on by my own actions - no one to blame but myself. This is a big part of the reason I'm not registered with a GP anymore - and I sort of feel I've had more than my fair share from the NHS already. Anyone else in that kind of situation/feel that way?

Regardless of if they were self inflicted or not it's better to try and get any issues addressed sooner rather than later. Will mean less of an issue at a later date, for yourself and therefore the healthcare/social care system in your later years.

I work for the NHS (clinical role seeing patients), less time is needed (as a general rule) if dealt with sooner rather than later. If you're going to pay for healthcare/elderly care in later life personally then go for it. Clinicians would rather treat you now than when it's more complicated and you are less able though.

Regardless of what you chose to do hope your health improves. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 253 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4