Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Blocked Coolant Lines?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

ceosteve
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 04:48 - 11 Aug 2022    Post subject: Blocked Coolant Lines? Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I recently bought a used 2004 yzf600rr (thundercat). 1 of the coolant lines started leaking coolant from a small hole. So, I replaced all the lines. When I took the old lines off I noticed a lot of contamination in the coolant system from previous owner neglecting maintenance. The worst spot was 1 of the connection beside the oil filter. It was completed blocked. I tried to spray water through the nipple on the opposite side of the oil filter, hoping to wash all the junk out, but hardly any water could pass through. I connected all the new lines and tried prestone rad flush and cleaner then tried another flush/cleaner as well. I don't think it worked, because the coolant has been going through the overflow system and out the overflow tank under the seat everytime the bike gets up to temp. Now I want to take this part of the cooling system off the bike to remove the obstruction. However, I don't know how to take this part off (metal cylinder between the oil filter and the motor).

1. Does anybody have experience with this / know how to take it off?
2. I'm concerned this part of the cooling system passes through the engine, and essentially the obstruction could be inside the motor itself. Is my concern warranted?

I find it odd the coolant system worked fine before. The issue that made me change the lines is completely unrelated to the problem I'm having after the lines were changed.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:46 - 11 Aug 2022    Post subject: T Reply with quote

Look on CMSNL.com...

Is your bike a "Londoner", and has used local water ?

F18
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:31 - 12 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt you separate that individual water feed. Take the whole oil cooler off and clean it out fully. If the coolant system has been neglected to that extent you may be up for a new oil cooler before the two mix like they ought not to.
Next, what condition are the internals of the radiator in ...

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 21:22 - 13 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just a coolant line, not some higher engineered critical-size thing like carb jet. So poke something down it under most of the crap comes out, then spray some water through it under pressure until it runs clean.

Flush the radiator out as well, and make sure it's all properly bled when you refill with coolant. Usual practice is to run it up to temp with the radiator cap removed to burp out all the water.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 228 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1