Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Ukraine war and when Russia will collaps?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:25 - 12 Aug 2022    Post subject: Ukraine war and when Russia will collaps? Reply with quote

I hope January 2023 will the end of Russia.
EU and US will have the full ban of Russian oil end of 2022.
Which is symbolic because the current sanctions have crippled Russia#s economy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9oi1wgnR8U&t=1271s

Russian have lost until today 939 tanks that is twice more tanks lost then the combined UK and Germany tank forces!

On 5th of Dec 2022 Russia army will lose 50% of all tanks and collaps.
https://i.imgur.com/BWhYVsj.jpg
Data is here:

https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/02/attack-on-europe-documenting-equipment.html

https://medium.com/@zs.lazar1/125-days-of-russian-invasion-of-ukraine-on-ten-charts-5f5f12607730

Last edited by Val on 16:29 - 12 Aug 2022; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:29 - 12 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do they magically collapse when they are down to 50% of their tanks?

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:36 - 12 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
Why do they magically collapse when they are down to 50% of their tanks?

That is what military analysts say is the critical threshold when the Russian army will not be able to do any fighting not only because of the lost of armor itself, but also because of the lost of man power to run it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:41 - 12 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tanks are no longer the winning offensive force multiplier they used to be. Air support is far superior these days and tanks are very slow and vulnerable to the right sort of weapons.

Thats why the West hasn't expended vast amounts and doesn't have a vast number of them (excluding the US, but they like pork barrelling.)

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:02 - 12 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
the lost of man power

That there being the important bit and absolutely nothing to do with the number of tanks in the field at all. The Russians cannot fully mobilise without declaring it an actual war (instead of a special military operation), which is something they will not do less they lose face to the entire world and their own population. It's as good as admitting defeat giving all the propaganda they've been spewing to their people.

The world knows that the only thing that keeps Russia from being completely militarily insignificant is the fact they have nuclear weapons.

However, they will trundle on as long as possible and hope to beat the Ukrainians through sheer atrophy. They will then lock down what they've taken in territory, call mission complete and then hope the Ukrainians accept it (which they probably won't).

Fucking stupid situation because Putin was told they'd steamroll Ukraine in days.

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:26 - 12 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Tanks are no longer the winning offensive force multiplier they used to be. Air support is far superior these days and tanks are very slow and vulnerable to the right sort of weapons.

Thats why the West hasn't expended vast amounts and doesn't have a vast number of them (excluding the US, but they like pork barrelling.)

True for NATO. But Putin has failed to have air superiority and Ukraine air force is too weak too.

In the lack of air support on both sides the tanks and armored vehicles will win the upcoming Battle of Kherson. Although I doubt Ukraine has the equipment for large assault. And the risk is too high. What they do is cutting russian's supply lines and will try to force them to retreat this way without full on frontal assault. The risk and the losses are too high.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:33 - 12 Aug 2022    Post subject: Re: Ukraine war and when Russia will collaps? Reply with quote

Val wrote:

EU and US will have the full ban of Russian oil end of 2022.

That's good, but what about gas? How much reliance do Germany, and the EU generally have on Russian gas? I was under the impression that was the bigger problem.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:44 - 12 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:

True for NATO. But Putin has failed to have air superiority and Ukraine air force is too weak too.

In the lack of air support on both sides the tanks and armored vehicles will win the upcoming Battle of Kherson. Although I doubt Ukraine has the equipment for large assault. And the risk is too high. What they do is cutting russian's supply lines and will try to force them to retreat this way without full on frontal assault. The risk and the losses are too high.

Tanks don't work against infantry. They only work against other tanks.

If the infantry you are fighting against has weapons that kill tanks they don't need tanks.

Go back to your pointless agruments about why Brexit was a bad idea. I'm a remainer btw.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:44 - 12 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that if Russia carry on another year the EU will fold. They are holding energy prices low at the moment but can't carry it on. Russia isn't suffering......

Russian oil and fuel revenue up even as exports fall - IEA

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/russian-oil-fuel-revenue-up-even-exports-fall-iea-2022-06-15/

India and China are quite happily buying their oil. If I was Putin I'd stop the gas to the EU instantly and tell China he'd support them if they retake Taiwan. That would be America off his back instantly.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:49 - 12 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come back to the UK please.

Wub

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:03 - 12 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just need to bear in mind that those are very specific numbers being reported from a war zone and they’re telling us what we’d like to hear.

The likelihood that the EU will wean itself off Russian gas and oil soon and go on to sanction anyone else who buys it seems far-fetched when you consider the self-harm it will do.

Half of France’s nuclear reactors are down due to maintenance issues apparently. Not helpful.

I thought Putin might have been ousted due to this unwise and costly war but he seems surprisingly secure in place.

KiwiBob
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:45 - 12 Aug 2022    Post subject: Re: Ukraine war and when Russia will collaps? Reply with quote

Val wrote:

Russian have lost until today 939 tanks that is twice more tanks lost then the combined UK and Germany tank forces!

Russia has around 16,000 battle tanks so they can afford to lose a few!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:37 - 12 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of them aren't current gen and the few current gen ones deployed in theater didn't last long.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:29 - 13 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

In answer to the original question: with Chinese backing - never, without Chinese backing, within the next 20 years.

As to the Ukrainian sideshow the tank loses are as much about lack of maintenance and endemic corruption within Russia as they are indicative of Ukrainian military success. Anyway, artillery is where it's at in this conflict.

Will Putin manage to get anyone to leave NATO is the real question and that won't be answered till the winter.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:46 - 13 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Will Putin manage to get anyone to leave NATO is the real question and that won't be answered till the winter.

Not sure how he could do that? His actions seem to be having quite the opposite effect thus far.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:40 - 13 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

Not sure how he could do that? His actions seem to be having quite the opposite effect thus far.

He's trying to break the sanctions and he should succeed. Start offering cheap oil & gas to eastern europe and some of the countries will jump at it and that gives him a lever in the EU. At the moment anything major has to be ratified by all, not just a majority has it not?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:53 - 13 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EU is not the same thing as NATO. But I suppose he could put pressure on countries to leave that too. Basically, our continental friends have right fucked themselves over Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:50 - 13 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putin has relied heavily on armoured forces in his invasion.
I've been wondering though, how that pans out in the context of history in that region. Come autumn, those forces could find themselves in a bit of trouble as the ground becomes waterlogged and turns into a quagmire wherever armour operates off road. I daresay modern armour is better equipped to deal with this than in WW2, but I wonder if there still might be problems. The Ukranian forces otoh don't rely on armour, but more on foot soldiers equipped with anti-armour weapons, who will find it easier to stalk those tanks etc when they're more confined by soft ground?

This makes me also wonder if Putin will make a major push before that wetter weather sets in.
Or maybe his armoured forces are already so depleted that he won't be able to...but I'm not sure I believe that is the case.
Or he might ease things off until winter sets in and the ground hardens, becoming more suitable for armour again.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:37 - 15 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
India and China are quite happily buying their oil. If I was Putin I'd stop the gas to the EU instantly and tell China he'd support them if they retake Taiwan. That would be America off his back instantly.

Support them with what? Words? Definitely not manpower, tanks, military equipment, etc since they're struggling to supply themselves at the moment Laughing they also don't have any money to support China with either.

China can't invade Taiwan. Taiwan only has certain beaches that can be landed and they would make it impossible to land on them. China doesn't even have the amphibious assault vessels to actually do it either. They can't airdrop a load of troops. Fucking nonsense fantasy invasion that is impossible to practically achieve. Sabre rattling only over Taiwan.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:10 - 15 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK the problem with Taiwan is to be of any value it needs to be taken intact. Carpet bombing, nuking, artillery barrage, destroyer salvos etc. would destroy too much infrastructure. China would end up with a very expensive rock.

Taiwan couldn't hope to win against their big brother but they'd at least hold out long enough for the US to park a carrier in the Malacca Strait and fuck China up without firing a shot.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:40 - 15 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

At somepoint Russia will use either tactical nukes or chemical weapons to stop an attempt at re-taking contested territory. At which point NATO will have to get involved.

I'd suspect it would be by means of projected air power because there's unlikely to be any appetite for feet on the ground. So most likely creating and enforcing a no-fly zone and with backup air support to Ukranian ground troops.

At that point, armour is totally out of the picture. There are NATO bases close enough to send in A10s and attack helicopters driectly which would take out every bit of standing armour in the country within the first 48h. It would be like when the cloud lifted at the battle fo the Bulge.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:10 - 15 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Taiwan couldn't hope to win against their big brother but they'd at least hold out long enough for the US to park a carrier in the Malacca Strait and fuck China up without firing a shot.

It wouldn't happen to begin with, but if it did. How does China take over Taiwan?

Do they have the amphibious assault capability to send 100's of thousands of troops to storm beaches and landing sites in Taiwan? No.

Do they have the paratroop assault capability to send 10's of thousands of troops behind defensive lines in Taiwan? No.

Taiwan has 130,000 active duty troops. Using the 3:1 rule, China would have to land approx. 390,000 troops to have a chance of winning.

Does China have the troop numbers? Yes, easily. But they can't land them. They can't resupply them either.

EDIT: They have fuck all landing ships in service compared to the number of troops that would have to be landed:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People%27s_Liberation_Army_Navy_Surface_Force#Amphibious_warfare_ships

Absolute fantasy to even consider China invading Taiwan.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:45 - 15 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they need to invade it? Naval and airspace blockade and treat it like a siege Thinking They're nowhere even close to food self-sufficiency on the island but if there's one thing the Americans have always been hot on it's open trade. If China blocked food imports to Taiwan could Joe Biden stop a reciprocal blockade of Chinese exports?

If China are gonna make any move they'll have to do it before November. All signs point to the Democrats losing Congress and the Senate, undermining their main supporter in the White House.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:10 - 15 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
At somepoint Russia will use either tactical nukes or chemical weapons

I wonder what the fallout/radioactive contamination levels are like from tac. nukes?
I'm also not sure if they'd be logical even for tactical reasons in this war. Are the Ukranians using large concentrations of forces? They can do a lot of damage with smaller teams supplied by the West with modern weapons, and/or they could use concentrate and disperse tactics, leaving no substantial targets for any length of time. And if the fighting is close in, hanging onto each others belts so to speak, that also would rule out the use of tac. nukes.

I think Ukraine has to resign itself to a long drawn out conflict of more or less hit-and-run tactics to win in the end, much like the North Vietnamese employed against the US in that war, or the Afghans against Soviet forces. They too would concentrate for a given attack, but would not aim to hold ground, being more concerned with depleting the enemy forces, a constant strain on resources. Of course in Vietnam the North had the advantage of country in which it was easy to conceal troop concentrations for limited periods. it was common to hear "they have a whole division in those hills somewhere...", without any major concentrations ever being pinned down.

And at the end of the day, it makes no sense for Putin to do too much damage to the land, cities etc. Yes, he gets his buffer zone against the West/NATO, but the impression I got was that he wants to reintegrate Ukraine into the Russian 'empire' for more reasons than just that.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:42 - 15 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Do they need to invade it? Naval and airspace blockade and treat it like a siege Thinking They're nowhere even close to food self-sufficiency on the island but if there's one thing the Americans have always been hot on it's open trade. If China blocked food imports to Taiwan could Joe Biden stop a reciprocal blockade of Chinese exports?

If China are gonna make any move they'll have to do it before November. All signs point to the Democrats losing Congress and the Senate, undermining their main supporter in the White House.

That's a much easier thing to do, a naval blockade is a real possibility I am happy to concede on that point but it will draw huge political pressure on China from the entire world.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 245 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 1 of 20