Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

#ntdwi

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 157, 158, 159 ... 169, 170, 171  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:04 - 14 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I think your "neighbourhoods" are all just a construct of your mind anyway. You're too much of a fan of the sweeping generalisation.

Confused So when I go into one area and I'm surrounded by Asian Muslims, then a few miles down the road I'm surrounded by Hasidic Jews, that's a construct? That sounds exactly like something a leftist would say to try and explain away self-segregation/people preferring to be around their own.

I think you're offended when someone provides evidence that contradicts your assertion, and you seem reluctant to challenge your own views, dismissing rather than refuting what's been said.

chickenstrip wrote:
Modern liberals don't have neighbourhoods or communities.

They've always had their own communities (like everyone else), they're even building new ones in cities now because city living is fashionable. It's how 'diverse' areas have turned 'trendy' with boutique stores and cafes etc..

chickenstrip wrote:
And you M.C - where do you fit in all of this? What neighbourhood or community are you a part of, that you can call 'home'? Is it real, or just another construct of your mind? Or perhaps you are alone, like the liberals, belonging nowhere? But at least you are happier than all these others Smile

I've always been an outsider in 'the community', it's why I call BS when diversities go on about things being too white and making them feel uncomfortable, as I've seen the other side and how they do a lot more to make people feel unwelcome than simply being there.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:12 - 14 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
to v or not to v wrote:

you come across as quite a smart fella generally Stink, but that statement is just dumb.
who even knows or cares who Salmon is these days other than the jihadis?

Well, it appears he was up on stage pontificating to a crowd, who presumably paid to be there.

I'd definately go out of my way to avoid listening to him. Not so far as stabbing him in the neck but I'd definately change the channel on the radio. Even if it meant listening to that nippy bird on radio Scotland for 15 minutes until he was finished.

From the video it looked like a white mainly boomer crowd, I very much doubt the guy just happened to be there.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:59 - 14 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
I think your "neighbourhoods" are all just a construct of your mind anyway. You're too much of a fan of the sweeping generalisation.

Confused So when I go into one area and I'm surrounded by Asian Muslims, then a few miles down the road I'm surrounded by Hasidic Jews, that's a construct? That sounds exactly like something a leftist would say to try and explain away self-segregation/people preferring to be around their own.

I think you're offended when someone provides evidence that contradicts your assertion, and you seem reluctant to challenge your own views, dismissing rather than refuting what's been said.

Firstly, you are assuming too much from a handful of posts on this forum. I'm not at all offended by people challenging my views and thoughts. Much of what I do post is just me thinking aloud anyway, sometimes to provoke a reply in order to understand how others see things (when you read this, try to imagine me smiling benignly - you'll be surprised at the difference Smile ). My mind is not always made up on many such topics. I guess that's probably how most people who think things over are.

So what do you think it is that holds these groups together, and do you think it gives them advantages that make it worthwhile for them to stay in these..."communities"? Do you think we ever had such a thing in this country? Do we still, anywhere? And if so, what holds that together? I think what I'm pushing at here is that we appear to have lost something in this country that we once had, and we need to find it again.

My view is that "multi-culturalism" has been an unmitigated disaster, and will continue to be so. It is far too artificial a construct (that word seems to be stuck in my head now Laughing Substitute a better one in if you like Smile ) We should have stuck with welcoming in those who would adopt our own ways. Doesn't mean we can't sample other cultures from around the world, but if I wanted to live in a muslim society, for e.g., I could convert and go to a muslim country. Some cultures will always clash, we should admit this to ourselves. But that also doesn't mean things will never change in our own culture, but such changes should be allowed to occur naturally, not forced.

Quote:
chickenstrip wrote:
Modern liberals don't have neighbourhoods or communities.

They've always had their own communities (like everyone else), they're even building new ones in cities now because city living is fashionable. It's how 'diverse' areas have turned 'trendy' with boutique stores and cafes etc..

Well, yes, ok. So they are the very types who bang on about diversity, but fail to adopt it themselves. So perhaps they have torn down the borders for the rest of us, whilst reinforcing their own.

Quote:
I've always been an outsider in 'the community', it's why I call BS when diversities go on about things being too white and making them feel uncomfortable, as I've seen the other side and how they do a lot more to make people feel unwelcome than simply being there.

What defines you and gives you a sense of place? It sounds like you don't have that sense, or have lost it. So what do you have instead to keep you "grounded"? If nothing, what do you think could be done to change that?

Note: you will see me contradict myself from time to time. As I said, this is because I am exploring ideas all the time, I don't assume to know everything (perhaps not much at all Smile ). Life is a paradox! Smile
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:07 - 14 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
So what do you think it is that holds these groups together, and do you think it gives them advantages that make it worthwhile for them to stay in these..."communities"? Do you think we ever had such a thing in this country? Do we still, anywhere? And if so, what holds that together? I think what I'm pushing at here is that we appear to have lost something in this country that we once had, and we need to find it again.

I think it's a natural instinct, I also think it's pragmatic when you look around the world and see different racial and religious groups not getting along (to put it mildly). We're no different, we do still have 'community', think of village communities or even other smallish towns I visit, where it seems to be alive and well.

Anecdotally older generations tell you about the loss of community (among us) due to multiculturalism in London etc., which I understand, but even then when you look at local associations (friends of <insert park>) that are exclusively white, I'd suggest that's a manifestation of community?

I think we have lost a sense of national identity, but that wasn't organic and it was for pretty obvious reasons.

chickenstrip wrote:
We should have stuck with welcoming in those who would adopt our own ways.

How would you determine that? Cos I'd suggest no community has. Name a ethnic minority and then tell me whether they've wholly adapted to British life. They all just seem to do their own thing, the best we can hope for is that 'their own thing' isn't robbing and stabbing or grooming young girls.

chickenstrip wrote:
Well, yes, ok. So they are the very types who bang on about diversity, but fail to adopt it themselves. So perhaps they have torn down the borders for the rest of us, whilst reinforcing their own.

Yep, if you were going to displace a people, and you were meek, and cared about how you were perceived, I suggest you'd pretend you were on their side, whilst at the same time undermining them.

It might not even be a conscious act, although financially pricing out the 'diversity' you claim to love, whilst even demolishing their housing (Labour councils are pulling down estates all over London) is pretty transparent IMO.

Bigger picture they still get to support mass immigration, knowing it'll have to go somewhere else, and the ones that can afford to stay will probably be alright... This is the same reason the Tories support mass immigration, although obviously the difference is 'the left' are adding to their voter base.

chickenstrip wrote:
If nothing, what do you think could be done to change that?

Move Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:16 - 14 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

chickenstrip wrote:
If nothing, what do you think could be done to change that?

Move Laughing

To what country? Razz
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:51 - 14 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Yep, if you were going to displace a people, and you were meek, and cared about how you were perceived, I suggest you'd pretend you were on their side, whilst at the same time undermining them.

It might not even be a conscious act, although financially pricing out the 'diversity' you claim to love, whilst even demolishing their housing (Labour councils are pulling down estates all over London) is pretty transparent IMO.

Bigger picture they still get to support mass immigration, knowing it'll have to go somewhere else, and the ones that can afford to stay will probably be alright...

What I don't understand is how long do they think they can keep this up before it affects them adversely, even within their 'gated communities'? I'd love to know what they see the end game to look like. I suspect they don't know themselves.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:52 - 14 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
M.C wrote:
Move Laughing

To what country? Razz

Every Western nation seems to be going down a similar road, it's a bit like that scene in looper... https://youtu.be/oGo96xzNSEs?t=60

chickenstrip wrote:
M.C wrote:

Bigger picture they still get to support mass immigration, knowing it'll have to go somewhere else, and the ones that can afford to stay will probably be alright...

What I don't understand is how long do they think they can keep this up before it affects them adversely, even within their 'gated communities'? I'd love to know what they see the end game to look like. I suspect they don't know themselves.

Trying to unweave all their contradictions and doublethink is challenging Razz Some buy into the guilt narrative that we deserve it, some are so ideologically driven the reality doesn't matter, and others plain don't care or probably think they'll be dead before things get really bad.

I do think there will be some sort of reckoning, right now lefties are using minority groups (for votes), and minority groups are using them to champion their cause.

Eventually one group will get sick of the other, a bit like how the white working class were abandoned despite Labour being founded on championing their plight.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:28 - 15 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Rushdie used a traditional Islamic tale as the basis for a new fiction and was thus seen as portraying the character Mohammed, which is forbidden. I think it was as simple as that. Clearly he didn’t deserve what followed but I don’t know why it’s necessary for him, Charlie Hebdo and others to go out of their way to disrespect that rule. As a lapsed Muslim Rushdie should have known better than anyone how significant it would be.

Good job the Joho's have a sense of humour otherwise Trey Parker and Matt Stone would have been strung up years ago, eh?

True, Islamists are generally less tolerant than modern-day Christians but my point was if their non-violent majority have declared that their “prophet” should never be depicted I’m prepared to respect that. Why wouldn’t I? It’s no skin off my nose.

Blasphemy might usefully convey the view that the muslim community needs to sort out it’s own affairs but it’s been counter-productive.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:08 - 15 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

True, Islamists are generally less tolerant than modern-day Christians but my point was if their non-violent majority have declared that their “prophet” should never be depicted I’m prepared to respect that. Why wouldn’t I? It’s no skin off my nose.

That's fine until violence is threatened or used if you don't. I don't go out of my way to upset such people, but I reserve my right in a modern democratic country to say what I think if I chose to.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:12 - 15 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

That's fine until violence is threatened or used if you don't. I don't go out of my way to upset such people, but I reserve my right in a modern democratic country to say what I think if I chose to.

Yeah but you’ve just flipped the argument; you reserve the right to blaspheme someone else’s beliefs and then ask what riled their cage.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:21 - 15 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Because it's a slippery slope. Our tolerance hasn't helped us one bit has it? It's just allowed a religion and a people who hate us to feel emboldened, to the point where they've started attacking us.

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Yeah but you’ve just flipped the argument; you reserve the right to blaspheme someone else’s beliefs and then ask what riled their cage.

To be clear people have f'ing died over this, and your perspective is "well just don't do it"?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:24 - 15 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Because it's a slippery slope. Our tolerance hasn't helped us one bit has it? It's just allowed a religion and a people who hate us to feel emboldened, to the point where they've started attacking us.

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

To be clear people have f'ing died over this, and your perspective is "well just don't do it"?

Your approaching it from the point of view that all Muslims are out to kill you.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:34 - 15 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Stupid strawman

I'm approaching this from a point of view that allowing a group to do whatever they want, and not making clear what is and isn't acceptable, has lead us to this point.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:39 - 15 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Stupid strawman

I'm approaching this from a point of view that allowing a group to do whatever they want, and not making clear what is and isn't acceptable, has lead us to this point.

That’s a silly answer. You think the section of Islamists who are committing these crimes aren’t aware that they’re crimes.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:51 - 15 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
That’s a silly answer. You think the section of Islamists who are committing these crimes aren’t aware that they’re crimes.

Crimes in their culture/religion? Death for blasphemy? Child marriage? Seems like an obvious conflict, it might be why they have their own courts.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:52 - 15 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

it isn't about rattling cages. It is about the principle of free speech, and the slippery slope that even now we are pushing ourselves off down, and what that leads to. Don't think so? Look at history. It has been demonstrated countless times. What does it take to learn these things? Want to find out for yourself? We have a school teacher right here in his home country in hiding, in fear of his life, for what? Words that harmed no one.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:59 - 15 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you two formed a tag team? Laughing
chickenstrip wrote:
We have a school teacher right here in his home country in hiding, in fear of his life, for what? Words that harmed no one.

Pointless words that he knew would offend. Sure, the strength of feeling was excessive but also predictable. Played right into the hands of the nut jobs.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:07 - 16 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Played right into the hands of the nut jobs.

Whom you are siding with. I don't.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:09 - 16 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Considering we were arguing earlier in this convo probably not.

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Pointless words that he knew would offend. Sure, the strength of feeling was excessive but also predictable. Played right into the hands of the nut jobs.

Was the teacher getting beheaded in France predictable?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:31 - 16 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Considering we were arguing earlier in this convo probably not.

It wasn't an argument, it was a spirited discussion Laughing

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:58 - 16 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Was the teacher getting beheaded in France predictable?

Innocent young Ariana Grande fans were attacked in 2017. The French teacher was killed in 2020. We’re well aware that the extremists are proper nasty.

Again my point is, why deliberately offend ordinary Muslims when that just plays into the hands of the extremists? Or do you think they’re all the same?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:07 - 16 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor Salmon Rushy...

"Oh, but he did provoke them to do it."

Along the lines of she was wearing a mini-skirt so asking to be raped Rolling Eyes

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:22 - 16 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Again my point is, why deliberately offend ordinary Muslims when that just plays into the hands of the extremists? Or do you think they’re all the same?

I wasn't aware the teacher in France did? He showed a depiction of the prophet Mohammed, with warning to a class, and an ordinary Muslim girl (who wasn't even present that day) and her ordinary Muslim dad took offence and launched a campaign that resulted in his beheading.

Easy-X wrote:
Poor Salmon Rushy...

Along the lines of she was wearing a mini-skirt so asking to be raped Rolling Eyes

Iran's view... https://news.sky.com/story/sir-salman-rushdie-brought-stabbing-attack-on-himself-says-iranian-foreign-ministry-12673468

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:42 - 16 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

What were the exact circumstances of the 'offence' that sent that teacher into hiding? Did he deliberately set out to offend muslims?

What these extremists are practicing is terrorism, pure and simple. We should crack down on them, not bow to their demands. What else will we tacitly allow? Why just for muslims? Can you extrapolate where this atttitude leads? We shall all have to be silent before we get to the end of it all.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:00 - 16 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Poor Salmon Rushy...

Wearing a mini-skirt isn’t recognised as a rule violation by the majority of the community. There’s no parallel.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 246 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 157, 158, 159 ... 169, 170, 171  Next
Page 158 of 171