Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

No power on Lexmoto Viper

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Adsy1944
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:07 - 15 Aug 2022    Post subject: No power on Lexmoto Viper Reply with quote

Thought I'd ask here before I shell out for a new battery as I'm only guessing...

I went to take out my Lexmoto Viper yesterday (don't judge, I regret it too). When I turned on the ignition, there was absolutely nothing, no dash, no lights no start.

I've had a poke around and couldn't see any lose connections or blown fuses, though I definitely wouldn't consider it a comprehensive check.

I've taken the battery out and it tests at 12.5v resting saying it's 60% full. Now I can understand that might not be enough to start, but shouldn't I still see some sort of life? I think I'm going to replace the battery rather than charge it as it has a nice white crust around the negative terminal.

I was just wondering if anyone could confirm whether a low voltage would prevent me turning it on at all, and if they had any pointers?

Thanks!
Adam

Mysteriass
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:21 - 15 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd clean up those terminals and the wires to it, top it up with distilled water if possible and try charging it before you spend money on anything else.

Yeah, the battery is probably toast but it could also be a bust fuse, a short somewhere or a dislocated / damaged wire. It could be something like a short is the problem and that's what bust the old battery and you'll bust the new battery if you don't figure out where that short is... if that's what it is.

Of course the battery could be dead of natural causes... but... maybe not.

See what happens with the old battery once it's charged. It'd be good to see a sign of life from the dash lights.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:14 - 15 Aug 2022    Post subject: Re: No power on Lexmoto Viper Reply with quote

Adsy1944 wrote:
Thought I'd ask here before I shell out for a new battery as I'm only guessing...

I went to take out my Lexmoto Viper yesterday (don't judge, I regret it too). When I turned on the ignition, there was absolutely nothing, no dash, no lights no start.

I've had a poke around and couldn't see any lose connections or blown fuses, though I definitely wouldn't consider it a comprehensive check.

I've taken the battery out and it tests at 12.5v resting saying it's 60% full. Now I can understand that might not be enough to start, but shouldn't I still see some sort of life? I think I'm going to replace the battery rather than charge it as it has a nice white crust around the negative terminal.

I was just wondering if anyone could confirm whether a low voltage would prevent me turning it on at all, and if they had any pointers?

Thanks!
Adam

If it's been turned off in storage for a while the battery will be shagged. It only took two months for my battery on my 125 to be shagged from discharging. Replaced the battery and it's been perfect ever since.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 17:16 - 15 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 12.5v it should show signs of life, and probably start the engine.

I would be looking for a blown fuse first, and cleaning up the battery terminals.

Adsy1944
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:26 - 15 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I recharged the battery, it finished suspiciously quickly (like an hour) and was then testing at 13v.

I only rode it on Thursday, so it's not a slow drain from storage. I found 2 fuses (and a fuse that must be a spare as it was in a fuse box but not connected to anything. I too out the head unit and searched under the seat, checking all the connections and none were loose. it does have a few bigger connectors that aren't connected to anything, but I can't find anything for it to connect to.

I'm no mechanic, but I can't find anywhere obvious there is a fault. I've put the battery back and will retest the voltage tomorrow. Otherwise I'll have to book it in.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:53 - 15 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multimeter a d check voltage whilst running. If it's 14 or 15 volts it's the battery. If its 13 or less its the charging system.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:01 - 16 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Install battery. Measure voltage when just bolted in.

When you turn the igntion, is there a change in the voltage? If there is a voltage change, it means your bike will be at least connected to the battery.

But check your main fuse.

Doubly so, find a wiring diagram for the bike and have a nosey at it. See where connections go and use your multimeter to check for continuity along your lines. You could have a crudded up frame ground ....

Wiring diagram is the place to start if you don't know where wires go.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Adsy1944
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:29 - 17 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys,

So I after reinstalling, I left it overnight and the battery voltage is back down again, so either a short or a buggered battery. I've had all the panels off to follow the leads and the fuses look ok. I've got it booked in but I think I'll replace the battery as it looks like it's going to need it anyways.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 244 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1