Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

SatNav Car Suction Mount?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Frappawotsit
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:49 - 24 Aug 2022    Post subject: SatNav Car Suction Mount? Reply with quote

Rather than splashing g a load of money on a new “bike” satnav, I figured I’d try using an old Garmin Nuvi from my car that is surplus to requirement in the car these days….
I’m looking to Mount on my 2011 BMW R1200 RT and wondered if anyone has just used the standard car suction Mount on the bike?
As the screen on the bike is electrically adjusted up and down I figure rather than on the screen, maybe Mount it on top of the dash cluster where there is a pretty smooth plastic cover….

Has anyone tried this? With what results?

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:40 - 24 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd foresee a few issues; the suction cup will require both a shiny and fairly rigid surface to work; likely an surfaces made of plastic on a bike will be too flexible. You may even end up with damage. A car sat-nav isn't going to be weather-proof either (unless that model is, but I don't think it is?) so while the RT will provide a lovely bubble of calm at motorway speeds, when you stop at traffic lights and it's raining it'll get wet and probably fail fairly quickly. Lastly, bike-specific sat-navs are often designed to work with gloves on, which is a godsend.

I know they're not cheap, but personally I'd go for a bike specific sat nav (I went for a TomTom Rider 550). It feels like it's not particularly cutting edge, but it does work. Alternatively, get a decent phone holder and case and use a satnav app.

Frappawotsit
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:49 - 24 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Alternatively, get a decent phone holder and case and use a satnav app.

This was my first thought, but i tried just leaving my phone in the map pocket of my tank bag (just to trial, not for serious riding) and found in moderately warm weather, the phone overheated and turned off.... hence the thought about using an old car sat nav.

I'm not too worried about the waterproofing as I would likely get a waterproof case for it, but take on board the glove thing.... thanks.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:04 - 24 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frappawotsit wrote:
ThunderGuts wrote:
Alternatively, get a decent phone holder and case and use a satnav app.

This was my first thought, but i tried just leaving my phone in the map pocket of my tank bag (just to trial, not for serious riding) and found in moderately warm weather, the phone overheated and turned off.... hence the thought about using an old car sat nav.

I'm not too worried about the waterproofing as I would likely get a waterproof case for it, but take on board the glove thing.... thanks.

Put the Nuvi in one of these and attach it to the handlebar. Done.

https://jsaccessories.co.uk/product/oxford-products-strap-nav-sat-nav-holder-37121?variant=116345

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:14 - 24 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

buy a quadlock case and mounting kit for your bike, dont forget the vibration dampening attachment, and never look back. Absolutely the best (IMHO) phone mounting system out there. Phone Google Maps/Waze are infinitely better than actual satnav units and having your phone out in the open stops the overheating problem. Also trying to look at your screen through a floppy bit of shiny plastic that most sat nav/phone holders have is impossible on sunny days as it just reflects back at you. Any decent modern phone is waterproof enough to survive being caught out in the rain on your bike, but if its a worry then quadlock also do silicone covers for most makes of phone to make it totally waterproof and avoid screen glare problem of loose flappy crinkly plastic holders.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:42 - 24 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tierbirdy wrote:
phone

He says he can't use his phone for it. Otherwise, yes, this would have been the best option Laughing

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:54 - 24 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Said he cant use his phone because it overheats in hot weather in an enclosed plastic case, quadlock is out in the open so your phone is air cooled Razz Ive had issues with my phone warning me its getting a bit hot when using it as satnav in my car in the heights of summer, but no issues on bike.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:45 - 24 Aug 2022    Post subject: Re: SatNav Car Suction Mount? Reply with quote

Frappawotsit wrote:

This sounds like what you're trying to do: https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/making-a-garmin-nuvi-57lm-into-a-motorcycle-gps.1230481/

Sadly the link to pictures on photobucket doesn't work so you'll just have to use your imagination for what it looks like. Thumbs Up

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:05 - 25 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve just come to this thread (bit late)
I use my sat-nav on my bike all the time.
I do suction it to the inside of the screen and not to the console.

I also have my sat-nav on a lanyard, just in case the suction fails.

Been to Scotland thee times , Wales twice, and did the four points without any issues Thumbs Up

Last edited by pepperami on 14:04 - 26 Aug 2022; edited 1 time in total

Frappawotsit
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:03 - 25 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tierbirdy wrote:
buy a quadlock case and mounting kit for your bike, dont forget the vibration dampening attachment, and never look back. .

Interestingly this was my first thought and my preference, but was concerned about overheating as that had been my experience with phone in a tank bag map pocket. But several on here seem to have good experiences, so maybe the phone out in the open mitigates this issue.... I'll give it a try...

Frappawotsit
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:04 - 25 Aug 2022    Post subject: Re: SatNav Car Suction Mount? Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Frappawotsit wrote:

This sounds like what you're trying to do: https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/making-a-garmin-nuvi-57lm-into-a-motorcycle-gps.1230481/

Awesome, thanks

Frappawotsit
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:06 - 25 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
I’ve just to this thread (bit late)
I use my sat-nav on my bike all the time.
I do suction it to the inside of the screen and not to the console.

I also have my sat-nav on a lanyard, just in case the suction fails.

Been to Scotland thee times , Wales twice, and did the four points without any issues Thumbs Up

Out of interest, what bike? I mainly thought to mount on top of the console because on the R1200RT the screen is electronic and moves up and down. I'm concerned that when raised, the airflow up under the bottom of the screen may cause issues with sucker connection on the screen.
Maybe a few test rides with it lanyard connected are in order! Very Happy

Frappawotsit
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:09 - 25 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:

Put the Nuvi in one of these and attach it to the handlebar. Done.

https://jsaccessories.co.uk/product/oxford-products-strap-nav-sat-nav-holder-37121?variant=116345

Thanks, now looking at these as a possible solution, now tossed up between this idea and the Quadlock & phone....

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:12 - 25 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mighty little Hyosung GT250r Thumbs Up

Frappawotsit
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:57 - 27 Aug 2022    Post subject: Here’s what I went for… Reply with quote

So I’ve gone for a waterproof case and sunshade on the car SatNav… with a suction Mount to the top of the instrument cluster sun shade…. I’ll see how it does over a few rides, if the suction Mount doesn’t hold in that position I might try it on the screen instead, but the position of it is perfect (for me) as I don’t have to divert my eyes far from the road when checking the SatNav. Once I’m happy with the suction Mount sturdiness, I’ll clip the usb power cable neatly away too.

And if it doesn’t work, I’ll go the Quadlock route next…. Thanks for all the input everybody

(Not sure how to upload pics, otherwise I would!)

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:32 - 27 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the reply page, click the "Add an attachment" button and then choose whichever photos you want to post.

Or upload them to imgur.com and post the links here.

Frappawotsit
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:43 - 27 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
On the reply page, click the "Add an attachment" button and then choose whichever photos you want to post.

Or upload them to imgur.com and post the links here.

Yeah tried the attachment way, but nothing happens? It lets me select the image but when I click “upload attachment” the cursor jumps back to the text box and no image is uploaded? Maybe it’s because I’m new to the forum, a restriction on new users perhaps? I’ve checked pics are under 8mb and are jpeg, so believe they conform to pic requirements. Unless it’s an iPad thing, also possible I guess.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 02:07 - 28 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've put text in the text box before trying to upload an attachment, right?

imgur.com might be the easiest solution. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 214 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1