Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

A bit more power from my little Honda

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

HondaCityExpr...
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:23 - 27 Aug 2022    Post subject: Re: A bit more power from my little Honda Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Coincidence? Thinking

kawag0151 wrote:
For sale is my 1986 Honda CB100N
Needs a rebore, piston and clutch cable, needs keys, frame is in great condition.
Had this bike since i was 14 and have done a few miles on it.

Make me an offer as I simply need the bike gone asap and I'm not sure as to what they value at. Today would be great if you can take her away today or asap.

Located on the Wirral in Pensby, thanks.

Is what a coincidence?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:26 - 27 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

HondaCityExpress wrote:
Any cash I spend on a new/classic engine will be a commodity that I can get my investment back on.

I really wouldn't expect to get your money back on a secondhand engine after you've used it for however long. You might do, it's not completely impossible but you'll have added miles of wear and tear so it would be a bit of a surprise for it to not decrease in value.

HondaCityExpress wrote:
Paying an instructor and for hire etc is dead money. I much prefer to invest than splurge, this mentality has served me very well over the years.

Getting a full big boys license is an investment. Get your A1 license and then you'll discover that you want more bike than a 125 so you'll end up spending money on DAS training and tests.

Cut to the chase and do DAS now as the A1 route will work out to be more expensive in total.

HondaCityExpr...
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 00:46 - 28 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I buy an engine from the 80s for £200, in a years time I can almost guarantee it won't devalue by the time I'm done with it, with vintage stuff, the price only ever goes up. I sold a push bike last week for 20% more than I bought it for after about 5 years of use and I didn't change anything on it. I've bought and sold camera lenses for more than I've bought them for, again after years of use. That's why I don't want to let my two bikes go, they're an investment and I love them to bits

If I shop around and get a deal, when I sell the engine I might even make enough to cover the cost of the test! Or keep that engine and sell the smaller one for what I buy the bigger one for.

I also really don't think I'll ever really want to ride anything bigger, the 100cc scares me enough haha. Sure maybe in time, but by then I'll have more motivation to pay for it, right now I'm happy on my 100cc, I'm only 5,6 so it feels like a beast to me!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 02:05 - 28 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigger bikes are easier to ride and you'll no longer be going shit slow getting in the way of impatient drivers.

Many many people say what you're saying about not wanting a bigger bike but then they try riding one and find out that what everyone had been telling them is completely true.

A £200 engine isn't going to last long if it even works at all. Laughing

Selling a pushbike for 20% more than you paid five years ago means either you got a bargain when you bought it or your buyer wasn't very clever. Laughing

HondaCityExpr...
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 07:27 - 28 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I did a typical journey to meet my mates last night, Tottenham to Hackney (London) and 90% of my journey was in 20mph zones, right now I honestly don't want or need a bigger bike. I know you're totally right and I will end up wanting a bigger one eventually, but I know that won't be any time soon. And when that time comes, my bike that currently feels huge, heavy, powerful and intimidating, will feel small and pathetic and I'll be much more willing and confident on a big boys bike. I'll again then need less lessons or will even buy my own bigger bike to do my training and test on.

And yeah, you're right about the push bike, but there's no reason why those conditions can't be repeated. There's always bargains to be found and always people with more money than sense/time.

I've seen a few 1980s CG125 engines for £180-£300. There's no way they'll lose value, older engines like that will become fewer and fewer and only increase in value or at least stay the same.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:52 - 28 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough you don’t want a bigger bike but this is really a pointless endeavour and waste of money to get only 25 more cc. You won’t notice a difference in speed or acceleration.

The amount of difference you’ll see is probably comparable to the performance difference you’d see if you rode after dropping a log in your toilet compared to if you rode with full bowels Laughing

If it was me I would do DAS and get a bigger bike (even a 300-400cc). If it was me but I handicapped myself to only riding A1 then I would punt the ancient Honda and buy a new 125cc and get all the quality of life improvements that come with it.

If you’re dead set on swapping the engine then good luck to you, I look forward to reading the build/swap thread as I sip my fifth coffee of the morning Laughing

HondaCityExpr...
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:29 - 28 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I'm well aware that most people won't have the same perspective as me but that's OK, I'm not doing it for the power, I'm doing it to keep a bike I love and to be able to do the test on that bike.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:51 - 28 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of people had the same perspective when they were on a small capacity bike and now they're attempting to help stop others from making the same mistakes they did.

It might be that they spent lots on buying a shiny new 125 thinking that they'll want to keep it for years and they won't need anything bigger or it might be that they spent lots on repairing a worn out old money pit because they think it's wonderful.

Perspectives change once they've got a bit of experience under their belt and when they've ridden something which isn't a tiddler.

On the plus side, in a year or two you'll be well qualified to advise others against making the same mistakes. Laughing

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:02 - 29 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

HondaCityExpress wrote:
and to be able to do the test on that bike.

What is the point of doing a test on a 125? You'd still be restricted to a 125.

HondaCityExpr...
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:53 - 29 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
HondaCityExpress wrote:
and to be able to do the test on that bike.

What is the point of doing a test on a 125? You'd still be restricted to a 125.

I love how baffled people are in here about this, so unable to consider a different perspective to their own.

Option 1:
I pay £90 to do a test on my own bike, then I no longer have to have L's or pay £200 every other year on CBTs.

Vs

Pay £800+ to train and do A or A2 just so that I can ride my 100cc/125cc bike.

As mentioned before, yes I might want to ride a bigger bike in time, but when that time comes, I'll be much more confident and able and fly through my test with much less training required, so realistically won't cost any more going this route. I may even buy a bigger bike in anticipation of that and do the test and training on that bike, cutting costs further.

Because also, to do DAS I will have to take time off work, which will cost me a huge amount in lost earnings, being a freelancer, that adds up to quite a lot.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:54 - 29 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is not point taking atest on a 125 because you will be restricted to riding a 125 which you can ride on L plates anyway....

As with buying a bigger bike and doing training and test on that, have you looked into insuring a bike that you will only be able to ride whilst in the company of an instructor or tester?

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:54 - 30 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
There is not point taking atest on a 125 because you will be restricted to riding a 125 which you can ride on L plates anyway....

As with buying a bigger bike and doing training and test on that, have you looked into insuring a bike that you will only be able to ride whilst in the company of an instructor or tester?

I think he means he thinks it's better to sink £600 into making his 100cc a 125cc and only pay £90 to take his test so he doesn't have to pay £150 every two years to keep CBT to ride.

Fucking dumb idea considering the cost of this pointless conversion is about the same costs as just fucking doing DAS and involves less dicking about and less headache.

For his conversion he's going to need to buy another engine, probably need some specific tools for swapping in and out the two. Probably need some other parts to make it work right and then need to pay out to have some custom brackets, etc made as well Thinking
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 233 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2