Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Whatever happened to Chinese crate bikes?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

symonh2000
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:22 - 29 Aug 2022    Post subject: Whatever happened to Chinese crate bikes? Reply with quote

I am sure that many people here won't be too sad to see the back of them, but whtever happened to the £400-600 Crate bikes which you could buy from China and then assemble and register yourself?

My brother had a couple of them, he bought them put them together properly over the space of a few days, replaced the oil etc and then ran them for a few years before selling as spares or repairs and buying another. Some of them lasted a couple of years, one lasted 5 years and was still going when he sold it to fund a car.

It was good cheap transport for him whilst he was out of work.

As far as I can see they are no longer available, unless I am wrong on that score?

The cheapest Chinese bikes now seem to be £1000+ which IMO isn't cheap enough to take a punt on one.

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:46 - 29 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emissions and ABS requirements would put up costs of the bikes or rule out the cheaper models for dealers.

If you want to buy 20 bikes at a time there's still the china wholesales. Razz

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:31 - 29 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I built one for a friend way back in 2007/8, a POR Apache. Even back then I think his was more like £700 delivered.

BOE inflation calculator says that £700 in 2007 is basically a grand in 2021 money: https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetary-policy/inflation/inflation-calculator

That's not even accounting for the current massive inflation spike we're currently in.

symonh2000
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:03 - 30 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I seem to remember my dad buying a new Branson Cuba 50 for about £450 back in 2013. that still only works out at about £550 in today's money.

I wasn't thinking of buying one, just curious about why they are not seen now.

I don't think the quality has improved to justify the £1400 or so that similar models cost now.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 231 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1