Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

TV Show Box Sets

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 60, 61, 62  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:37 - 18 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've decided to finally get round to Umbrella Academy, and I can see that its designed to make me interested in watching it ... but ...

... I just havent got round to falling for it yet.
I probably will but I'm a bit busy right now and I haven't got a spare couple of hours to bingewatch it. Rolling Eyes

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:15 - 19 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started watching The Terminal List with Chris Pratt. Load of bollocks, switched it off after 30 minutes.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:06 - 19 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
Started watching The Terminal List with Chris Pratt. Not woke, switched it off after 30 minutes.

FTFY. Although as I said before it's typically not my kinda thing, and the premise isn't all that original, but it's really well done. It's kinda like the difference between John Wick (well the first two) and a generic Jason Statham film.

The 40% reviewer score and 95% audience score on RT is telling...

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:49 - 04 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power... the ring-a-ling-a-ding-dongs Smile

Apparently Amazon have bet the farm on this production and regardless of the very strange Rotten Tomatoes score I don't think anyone would say they've skimped! Very easy on the eye.

The Right-Wing press have been banging on about "Black Elves?! WTF dude?" and I'd have to admit seeing a medieval style village populated by... diverse peoples is a bit jarring but TBH it has very little impact on the production. Get over yerselves, White Supremacists Laughing

Anyhoo, it does drag a bit and it's no Peter Jackson effort but I'd say it's worth a watch. I wouldn't go as far as saying it's worth splashing out on Amazon Prime specifically for this though.

Word of warning: Morfydd Clark (Galadriel) has the acting ability of a plank of wood so just try and power through those bits, everybody else is fine (particularly the dwarves that play to the style of the Hobbit trilogy.) She is the main character but there's a lot else going on.

Is it Game of Thrones? (Ignoring the last season, obvs.) Not even close but it's not as bad as the slating you'll see in the reviews.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:31 - 04 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
very strange Rotten Tomatoes score

Nothing strange about it, there's a slew of shows that the critic activists love but audiences hate, and vice versa (I posted one above).

Easy-X wrote:
The Right-Wing press have been banging on about "Black Elves?! WTF dude?" and I'd have to admit seeing a medieval style village populated by... diverse peoples is a bit jarring but TBH it has very little impact on the production. Get over yerselves, White Supremacists Laughing

It's a bastardisation of clearly described races even if they're fictional, a subversion of a great literary work, and a conscious effort to undermine what the author always treated as European lore.

Plus Lenny Henry is well raciss Wink

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:35 - 04 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched it last night, thr first 2 episodes. I enjoyed it. Acting was meh although Lenny Henry actually acting rather than being a slapsick twat was bound to be an improvement even if he was made up to look like a white haired Orang Utan out of a Disney movie.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:39 - 04 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

BanditsHigh wrote:

Runs like she's on stilts ... but still manages to outrun all of the adults ... and not one of the adults when they are two feet away think of reaching out and grabbing her!!

But, apart from that, yes perfect casting Thumbs Up

Well, looking back having watched it all there were a few daft moments that made no sense or were just plain silly.
You do have to suspend your disbelief somewhat to enjoy a space opera, especially a franchise owned by Disney, but they
are targeting kids every bit as much if not more so than adults with this stuff so you have to accept that or switch off.
They were few and far between but there were some good bits.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:55 - 04 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
It's a bastardisation of clearly described races even if they're fictional, a subversion of a great literary work, and a conscious effort to undermine what the author always treated as European lore.

From what I recall: one out of place villager, just odd. One black dwarf but not technically anyone important - just a miner/surveyor that married into the right family; regardless, actress comes over as 100% dwarf. One mixed race elf who ticked every other box: beautiful, cold, comes across a bit Hugo Boss S.S. And Lenny but we were all briefed on that way ahead of time.

Thing is I thought all the "race swapped" characters were represented well (poor choice of words, I mean the acting was good!) as in only their skin colour was technically wrong whereas Galadriel the only thing they got right was the skin colour. I hope the bitch gets eaten by a cave troll but we know that can't happen Sad

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:59 - 04 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
One black dwarf but not technically anyone important - just a miner/surveyor that married into the right family; regardless, actress comes over as 100% dwarf.

Apart from being from a race that lives underground, she must have to overdose on Vitamin D supplements. I still don't get why the actress is so thrilled to be 'represented' in a short/fat/ugly race but ok.

Easy-X wrote:
One mixed race elf who ticked every other box: beautiful, cold, comes across a bit Hugo Boss S.S. And Lenny but we were all briefed on that way ahead of time.

His fresh fade is amazing and so Elvish.

Easy-X wrote:
Thing is I thought all the "race swapped" characters were represented well (poor choice of words, I mean the acting was good!) as in only their skin colour was technically wrong whereas Galadriel the only thing they got right was the skin colour. I hope the bitch gets eaten by a cave troll but we know that can't happen Sad

They completely destroyed changed a character to make her the heroin, when she was already one of the most memorable characters.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:52 - 04 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elrond was okay, one could imagine him calming down a bit to become the old Elrond. Galadriel... is it wrong to hope they've written in a Orc gang-rape scene? Episode 4 or 5 would do, I can hang on.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:54 - 04 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Elrond was okay, one could imagine him calming down a bit to become the old Elrond. Galadriel... is it wrong to hope they've written in a Orc gang-rape scene? Episode 4 or 5 would do, I can hang on.

You've got 5 seasons of her, good luck Wink

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:02 - 04 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a heads up. The Onedin Line has just started on Talking pictures Channel 82 Very Happy

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:22 - 04 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Just a heads up. The Onedin Line has just started on Talking pictures Channel 82 Very Happy

I love a good story about the old sailing ship days but that was a rather romanticised period drama for the ladies along the line of Poldark. Wifie will be glued to it (again). Laughing

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:18 - 04 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The night got even better! Reginald Perin was on channel 65 at nine o'clock, super smashing great!!

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:05 - 05 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I've noticed is that, whilst British (and US to some extent) box sets now go out of their way to be diverse, asian shows are downright racist frankly.

I've been watching a lot of Korean stuff (e.g. All of us are dead, Squid Game etc.) and everyone is Korean. Let alone having a black person in there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:15 - 05 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
One thing I've noticed is that, whilst British (and US to some extent) box sets now go out of their way to be diverse, asian shows are downright racist frankly.

I've been watching a lot of Korean stuff (e.g. All of us are dead, Squid Game etc.) and everyone is Korean. Let alone having a black person in there.

Squid Game had one Indian character and they made him a total retard Thinking

In general yes, no diversity so obviously I can't watch and enjoy it as I'm not represented...

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:45 - 07 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've made a series out of Russian Doll Shocked
I love that.
Gets a bit repetitive but it has a fair few comic moments.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:43 - 21 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resident Evil on Netflix.

Crap. Just comes across as woke casting and thematics. Years ago if I saw a movie or tv show with black actors i just accepted it as genuine casting choice based on talant or someone shagged a casting director but now it just seems forced and deliberate and pointless.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:52 - 21 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching "Alice" on Netflix, almost makes me want to learn Korean! I think it's meant to be a serious Sci-Fi drama but I get vibes of '70s British comedy with some of the characters Smile Also a bit low on diversity from a colour-swatch perspective but I've managed to power through it Wink

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:02 - 21 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Watching "Alice" on Netflix, almost makes me want to learn Korean!

Personally Korean women make me want to learn Korean.

Andor: The first three episodes drop... were released, and I actually enjoyed them. I thought releasing three was a really bad sign (Kenobi and Rangz of Power released two...), but they did it cos the first two are a bit slow, which was unnecessary but I get it... people need explosions otherwise it's 'boring'.

Anyway as a Mando fan I was losing interest in Star Wars after Bubba Fett and Obi-Wan KenobiInquisitor Reva, but so far this is a promising and also much grittier show than you'd expect.

Nothing overtly political either although one of the actresses has suggested it might not stay that way so we'll see.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:54 - 21 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I finished watching Russian Doll which was *completely* bizarre, but I loved it. Wub

The plan was to finish that and then finish Better Call Saul, which I really need to finish.

But I've been waylaid by *sigh* The Crown ... Shifty ... again.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:34 - 22 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veep is ace

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:43 - 23 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dahmer on Netflix.

Absolutely chilling series dramatising the life of Jeffrey Dahmer.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 02 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Bird on Apple tv 7/10
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4301160/

Based on true events. man goes undercover in prison to find out where serial killer has hidden bodies.

6 episodes long, so not too much of a time waster. quite entertaining.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:14 - 02 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm as bad with TV series as I am with books ... loads that I've started and haven't got round to finishing. Laughing

I somehow fell into some old Aussie thing called The Secrets She Keeps Rolling Eyes mentalist chick, man, mentalist! Rolling Eyes
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 196 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 60, 61, 62  Next
Page 55 of 62