Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New battery time.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:49 - 04 Sep 2022    Post subject: New battery time. Reply with quote

Yes, this shit again.
The Motobatt has lasted well over the past 8 years or so, do I just get another?
Is Lithium the way forward?
Lead acid is cheap but is it the best for a low mileage bike?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:21 - 04 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not if left to go flat
Might be ok on a tender or taken indoors and topped up regularly
when not in use.

Not sure of the price differential between a LA battery and a
Li-on equivalent other than they're more expensive

We know the charge density of li-ion is higher then LA,
thassa well known fack
But.
Li-ion is fussier and has to handled right in terms of charging
so quality of the battery itself and it's charging system is important.

I'd be seeking out reliable reviews from long term users of Li-ion
MC batteries re ruggedness, reliability and longevity before spending.
To be clear, I'd hope for years not weeks or months of good use

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:53 - 04 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is it that you would like the next battery to do that this one didn’t, I mean it lasted 8 (!) years. I’d replace like-for-like in that situation.

Or was that 8 years of regular bike use, and now you expect to use it less? That would be a different matter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:03 - 07 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sample size of 1, but here is a data point for you. In my experience, Lithium Iron (Li-Fe) batteries (ex: Shorai) are not all they are cracked up to be. I will never fit one to any motorcycle I own again. In my opinion, Lead Acid is proven, and has yet to let me down. I do not possess such riding skill that the weight difference is going to improve my speed or lap times anyway. For me, best to stick with reliability and durability.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:11 - 07 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go Lead Acid too but there must be a better technical solution.
I have been surprised by the ability of a battery boost/starter which runs on a mobile phone sized power bank - with special transformer bit you plug in the end has battery clips on it.
On much bigger engines than bikes.
( https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maypole-300A-Li-Ion-Portable-Power/dp/B07DNDWBH2 )
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:12 - 07 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fitted a Lithium b82reh on the hypermotard. I did this for one reason only. There was NO space for ANYTHING under the seat.

The lithium I chose was tiny in comparison to the standard so I went for it and could stuff my little accessories in the gap left.

Would I fit one onto the ZX10R ? Probably not, the lead acid fits in its cubby hole and since I got rid of the exhaust servo thingimabob I've got space for relays n fuseseses.

Like mentioned earlier, I'm not a good enough rider to benefit from the weight loss, which is enormous by the way. I ride on the roads, not the track, and I have plenty of space for my knick-knacks.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:28 - 07 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm probably asking way too much from a bike battery these days, very low milage and I'm not maintaining it in terms of manual charging as I should.
The short time spent with the lights switched on during the last MOT the other day took it to just under the required crank over power even though I'd charged the battery the night before and took the bike for half an hours spin before the test.
Probably two ways to go for me, either seriously up the bike time or re-evaluate my two wheeled future.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:33 - 07 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of them have upsides and downsides. Decide for yourself - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ywopGAXP-I

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:13 - 07 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:
All of them have upsides and downsides. Decide for yourself - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ywopGAXP-I

Cool.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 07 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:

Good vid
We ought sticky that for future battery discussions and debates
tldr:
It depends, there's no simple, 'one size fits all' answer.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:57 - 07 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other consideration is how it's stored. Lead acid batteries can lose capacity if they're not kept at 100%. Opposite is true to Lithium, that's usually best stored at around 40-80% fully charged.

sendhelp
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:04 - 08 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
I'm probably asking way too much from a bike battery these days, very low milage and I'm not maintaining it in terms of manual charging as I should.
The short time spent with the lights switched on during the last MOT the other day took it to just under the required crank over power even though I'd charged the battery the night before and took the bike for half an hours spin before the test.
Probably two ways to go for me, either seriously up the bike time or re-evaluate my two wheeled future.

Are you not able to charge the battery more frequently without having to remove it from the bike? The lithium batteries I've had have held their charge much longer than lead acid batteries, but will still die if left too long. The JMT ones have a little charge level indicator on the top which can be handy.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:53 - 09 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reality is that the problem is me rather than the battery.
I r lazy.

sendhelp
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:20 - 09 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
I r lazy.

I see, another problem to diagnose - any suspicions as to the cause? Are you bored of the bike? Lame riding buddies? Poor work/life balance?

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:54 - 10 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

sendhelp wrote:
recman wrote:
I r lazy.

I see, another problem to diagnose - any suspicions as to the cause? Are you bored of the bike? Lame riding buddies? Poor work/life balance?

Poor work/life balance is probably the biggest culprit.
I used to have a couple of decent riding mates but thier own work/life commitments have put a stop to regular ride outs.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 220 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1