Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Not shifting down to 1st or 2nd gear

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Abaaba
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:43 - 15 Sep 2022    Post subject: Not shifting down to 1st or 2nd gear Reply with quote

I sometimes use my bike to commute to work (14-mile round trip), today was one of those days but on my back the bike refused to shift down to 1st or 2nd gear. I slowly made it back home.

On inspection/checking, I noticed the gear shifter isn't springing back up when shifting down from 3rd to 2nd hence why I couldn't shift down, if I give the gear shifter a tiny nudge up, I can shift down......hope that makes sense.

Does anyone know what could cause that or had a similar issue?

Bike: CBF 600 58 Plate
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:05 - 15 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lube the gear linkage and check the chain tension. If the chain is too tight then it'll make the gearbox difficult to shift.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:19 - 15 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you only shifting down into those gears at a standstill? Or do you normally shift down into first before coming to a stop?

Abaaba
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:03 - 15 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Lube the gear linkage and check the chain tension. If the chain is too tight then it'll make the gearbox difficult to shift.

I have sprayed WD40 on the gear linkage and let it soak overnight, hopefully, it will be better tomorrow.

**that ruined my planned 200-mile round trip this 3 day lond weekend**

Abaaba
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:05 - 15 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
Are you only shifting down into those gears at a standstill? Or do you normally shift down into first before coming to a stop?

I do a quick shift down from high gear to 1st just before coming to stop.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:34 - 15 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abaaba wrote:
xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

I do a quick shift down from high gear to 1st just before coming to stop.

Releasing the clutch between each? When was the oil last changed? Have you checked the oil level?

Abaaba
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:37 - 15 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Releasing the clutch between each? When was the oil last changed? Have you checked the oil level?

No hold it in whilst doing the shift down all at once.

oil last changed on Feb this year

oil level is spot on.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:47 - 16 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this happen some years ago.

You just need to grease up your linkages, not just spraying WD40 at them I'd suggest. Undo them and grease the faces then reassemble.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 08:04 - 16 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try releasing the clutch between each change.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 08:13 - 16 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abaaba wrote:
MarJay wrote:
Lube the gear linkage

I have sprayed WD40 on the gear linkage and let it soak overnight, hopefully, it will be better tomorrow.

Hand

WD40 contains solvents and so it it will remove grease or lube.

It is not good at lubricating things.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 08:47 - 16 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abaaba wrote:
MarJay wrote:

*triggered*

Jeez. Chain lube would be better. At least it penetrates the rose joints and so on. You need to ideally strip the linkage and lube it properly but for a quick and dirty solution, spraying the rose joints with lube and then moving the linkage about might be enough.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:26 - 16 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abaaba wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

No hold it in whilst doing the shift down all at once.

You need to get in the habit of changing gears properly. Come down through the box and engage each gear as you slow down.

If you're at a stop and can't get it into first/second, let the clutch out slightly, then pull it back in and try again.

As mentioned, WD40 isn't lube.

Abaaba
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:05 - 16 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

You need to get in the habit of changing gears properly. Come down through the box and engage each gear as you slow down.

If you're at a stop and can't get it into first/second, let the clutch out slightly, then pull it back in and try again.

I am gana have to retrain myself, I am sure the training school did encourage quick multiple gear shifts just before stopping

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:14 - 16 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abaaba wrote:
xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

I am gana have to retrain myself, I am sure the training school did encourage quick multiple gear shifts just before stopping

The hint is in the name, it's a sequential gearbox. Thumbs Up

Last edited by Polarbear on 23:14 - 16 Sep 2022; edited 1 time in total

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:14 - 16 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shifting down through the gears as you're braking helps to slow you down plus if you're going through the gears fast enough to keep the revs high then you'll be able to get the rear wheel to skip. Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 220 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1