Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Replacement loom / rewire everything?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:33 - 19 Sep 2022    Post subject: Replacement loom / rewire everything? Reply with quote

On the subject of old looms, I was just wondering what you guys' thoughts are on very old wiring looms full of issues.

Situation:

Wiring loom works but it's total bullshit (decades of repairs, modifications, relocations, bypassed connectors, etc.) Ugly and would be a pain to diagnose even a simple problem, as the wiring diagram is no longer much use, colours are all wrong, etc. Plus it's got things like a modern fuse box, alarm system, relocation of electrical components, etc.

Possible to replace with an intact original loom. Intact looms are available, but they are also very old, they look crap, would need fresh connectors, continuity testing, etc. Plus would need a bit of modification and thought, because the colours are different in between model years.

Proposed solution:

Don't get replacement loom. Instead get big spool of cable (single colour) and bag of connectors. Old loom straight into the bin, then cut sections of fresh cable to correct length and make a loom, cleaning up everything. Include hardwiring and connector deletes in the process. Tag every wire with a little note saying what it is.

What do you think? The whole bike is being stripped down anyway.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:10 - 19 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you want to make a rod for your own back.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:27 - 19 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fix the issues in the standard loom it isn't that hard to do.

Using a single colour? Do you honestly think your tags will survive any length of time? How do you envisage fault finding say 5 years hence? I

You'd have to use the heaviest gauge needed throughout too which would bulk the loom up considerably. Madness! Laughing

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:05 - 19 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything works - it's just a mess. It doesn't look like one of those bikes at bike meets, and it might even reflect badly if you looked closely and saw the insulating tape, excess wiring lengths, etc.

My instinct is to rip everything out and start afresh. I looked into M-Unit, but it doesn't actually do very much (you still need the ignition wiring, rectifier, etc.)

But you're probably right and I think for now I'll just keep it and try to hide the guff.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 23:35 - 19 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut off insulation, pin to a board and replicate, not too difficult just time consuming to do it right.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:49 - 19 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Cut off insulation, pin to a board and replicate, not too difficult just time consuming to do it right.

Never thought of that - thanks.

Do you mean taking note of all insulation colours and wiring thicknesses, and then making a direct copy?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:32 - 20 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking

I'm sure there's a thread somewhere about making a replacement loom and I think it might have been posted by stinkwheel.

Closest I can find is this: https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=4673083#4673083

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:40 - 20 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Thinking

I'm sure there's a thread somewhere about making a replacement loom and I think it might have been posted by stinkwheel.

Closest I can find is this: https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=4673083#4673083

Cheers - will look at it.

This stinkwheel fellow is wordy, isn't he. Laughing
Useful chap though.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:42 - 20 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to design looms for electronic equipment professionally. We used to use a piece of plywood, draw the shape of the loom on acetate, print it 1:1 and stick the print down on the board. Then we stretched and screwed springs across the endpoints to hold the wires and put rows of nails along the edge of the design to hold the wires in shape. Then it's just a case of running each wire endpoint to endpoint along the correct route and finally lacing the loom together - lacing is the most flexible but using loom wrap is better for bike looms - extra protection.

Seriously, it'll be a lot more expensive in bits, pieces and cable than you realise and a huge PITA to build and get right. If your original loom is really in that bad a way (and I honestly doubt it is), then buy a second hand one and use that.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:01 - 20 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the bike and what you want the end result to do.

With a re-wire you can omit (at your risk) lots of the safety features
such as clutch and side-stand interlocks etc..

the older the bike teh simpler it will be.

On the XJ bikes forum for example they post a 'basic minimum wiring diagram' for people in your situation.

As already said single colour wire of one gauge is daft thought.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:31 - 20 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in this situation with my Bandit loom several years back. Several dodgy connectors and a failed alarm/immobiliser.

I found a second hand loom from a low-mileage donor bike. An hour or two to strip and refit, and I never had any more issues with it.

Making your own sounds like a lot of faff to me.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:45 - 21 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you buy a decent length of 13 core thinwall trailer cable, you get 13 different colours. 5 thick and 8 thin.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 216 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1