BCF: Bike Chat Forums

VFR750 - Rolling Resto

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:22 - 21 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firestorm front end bolts right in. Bit shorter but I think that improves the handling.

Springs are a bit cack but that can be easily fixed by fitting a set of linear springs appropriate to your weight.

Damping is considered to be a bit "wooden". There's a well described modification where you regrind the taper on the damping rod so it's fully tapered (they have a step on them as standard) and drill a small relief hole in the damper body. I've done this* and there was a noticeable improvement.

https://www.ablett.jp/bikes/vtr/vtr_sus.htm

*I'm now running VTR internals in my VFR forks because I have a set of pretec 6-pots to fit VFR lowers. I did have a full VTR front end fitted for a while though.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:17 - 22 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Firestorm front end bolts right in. Bit shorter but I think that improves the handling.

I'll give it a go then. Find it strange though, because I'm riding the 750 and the 800 side by side a lot at the moment, and the 750 is much more nimble and happier to be thrown on it's ear already. And it's not like the 800 feels slow slow or lazy, it feels fine, the 750 is just better. That's with them both as standard in terms of their geometry. In reference to the damper rod mods (and thank you for that), a mate of mine years ago had a Firestorm and the feel from the front end was fantastic, properly like you had the front axle between your hands, really noticeably great. But then someone pulled out on him and wrote it off, so he bought a replacement, and the feel from the front wasn't anywhere near as good. There was nothing wrong with it, but it was only "OK", it just felt like a normal bike. Makes me wonder if that mod had been done to the first one and we didn't know.

I did want to ask you something though. In your "shed find" thread I came across this -
stinkwheel wrote:
I also stripped the thermostat housing and checked the 'stat is working in a pan of boiling water because it is the mother of all bastard jobs to get at once the carbs and airbox are on.

Since I think my thermostat is toast, I need to get to this, but at a casual glance, it looks like with the side fairing off it's basically right there. 2 bolts on the housing (and maybe the one on the hanger) and I'll have the thermostat out. What makes it such a bastard? What am I missing?

I'm going to be doing the boiling pan test on the old one AND the new one, because somewhere in the unreliable byways of my memory, I remember reading that new thermostats of this type quite often don't work and have to be replaced (sometimes multiple times) before you get a "good un". And there's no harm in trying it so why not.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:03 - 22 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:

Since I think my thermostat is toast, I need to get to this, but at a casual glance, it looks like with the side fairing off it's basically right there. 2 bolts on the housing (and maybe the one on the hanger) and I'll have the thermostat out. What makes it such a bastard? What am I missing?

It's just tight as hell as I recall. Maybe it's not as bad as I remember. I had it in my head access to the bolt nearest the middle was tight and it was something of a sod to get the lid up and off with the hose on but tricky to get onto the jubilee clip to get the hose off if you want to do it that way.

I think the hangar bolt needs to come off too. I'm sure it's do-able though.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AL9nZEWKkTs3Hn1owRlQTZ-7gPlALncVTlEnjPRxr_82CuPPA-8d79kQVGymeIEwEFHKguyDwWD8O7A58CT6-gb1uHezyhBQDC2P0R6xrS7epmZbRZtnpzPhpbNsaUipSX2YL8VPP7J_AmFbU4oKF5_4QE8i=w1576-h886-no

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3