Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cleaning oily microfibre cloths

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:14 - 26 Sep 2022    Post subject: Cleaning oily microfibre cloths Reply with quote

I like to use microfibre cloths (usually with a spray of paraffin) on both motorbikes and bicycles; they're just very good at pulling oily muck away. Unfortunately, I then end up with a pile of mucky microfibre cloths which I don't want to chuck as they're not cheap cheap, but nor do I want to put into the washing machine.

In the past, I've used an old saucepan, a camping stove and a load of washing powder and boiled them, but it's a tedious process and takes seemingly endless rinse cycles to get them free of detergent afterwards. Does anyone have a more effective method for cleaning oily rags?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:47 - 26 Sep 2022    Post subject: Re: Cleaning oily microfibre cloths Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
I like to use microfibre cloths (usually with a spray of paraffin) on both motorbikes and bicycles; they're just very good at pulling oily muck away. Unfortunately, I then end up with a pile of mucky microfibre cloths which I don't want to chuck as they're not cheap cheap, but nor do I want to put into the washing machine.

In the past, I've used an old saucepan, a camping stove and a load of washing powder and boiled them, but it's a tedious process and takes seemingly endless rinse cycles to get them free of detergent afterwards. Does anyone have a more effective method for cleaning oily rags?

Microfiber doesn't like heat.
They don't like dryers due to that.

Wash in your washing machine at normal warm wash. Hoi an auld bath towel in with them to assist agitation.
Use a good detergent and mibby a scoop of Vanish.
Rope dry.
No fabric conditioners...

Microfiber quality is very small spaces for moisture, grease and shite to cling to.
Difficult to clean spotless.

Last edited by MCN on 16:08 - 26 Sep 2022; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:01 - 26 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop using microfibre cloths for cleaning dirty oily messy stuff. Laughing

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:49 - 26 Sep 2022    Post subject: Re: Cleaning oily microfibre cloths Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
ThunderGuts wrote:

Microfiber doesn't like heat.
They do like dryers due to that.

Wash in your washing machine at normal warm wash. Hoi an auld bath towel in with them to assist agitation.
Use a good detergent and mibby a scoop of Vanish.
Rope dry.
No fabric conditioners...

Microfiber quality is very small spaces for moisture, grease and shite to cling to.
Difficult to clean spotless.

Does MCN stand for Microfibre Cloth Nerd, per chance??

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:54 - 26 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers. Well, I know chopped up towels, bedsheets etc.. are cheaper, but microfibres are very good for cleaning out bearing races etc.. and anywhere else I want to get clean easily, but that same property does make them trickier to clean.

The other thought I had is to try and clean them with something that is a more direct solvent of what is causing the problem, petrol is the obvious but it's also not the most ideal substance to be sloshing about in a bucket! Unfortunately anything volatile enough to be good at cleaning and easy to remove afterwards is likely to be equally flammable.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:02 - 26 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bucket of hot soapy water to get the rough off then washing machine?

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:12 - 26 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive recently used iodine to remove copper grease/Anti seize grease from some clothing,
Not sure how it would work on micro fibres.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:11 - 26 Sep 2022    Post subject: Re: Cleaning oily microfibre cloths Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

Does MCN stand for Microfibre Cloth Nerd, per chance??

Thumbs Up Laughing

I will add that to my profile, for motorcycle enthusiasts who are in any way curious/suspicious.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:41 - 26 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you're no stranger to touching cloth

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:22 - 28 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`ve plenty of rags (said the wife). Shocked

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:33 - 28 Sep 2022    Post subject: Re: Cleaning oily microfibre cloths Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:

These will fix your problem.

https://www.costco.co.uk/Tyres-Automotive/Car-Maintenance/Car-Cleaning/Scott-Shop-Multipurpose-Towels-10-Pack/p/509965

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:29 - 28 Sep 2022    Post subject: Re: Cleaning oily microfibre cloths Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

I generally prefer reusable options, but those do look particularly good I must say. Thumbs Up

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:46 - 28 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use old underpants but found they tended to scratch the paintwork too often......

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:03 - 30 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
I used to use old underpants but found they tended to scratch the paintwork too often......

...said the man of steel. Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 179 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1