Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Any entomologists in here?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:04 - 07 Sep 2022    Post subject: Any entomologists in here? Reply with quote

I've just been bitten!

About 30 minutes ago driving in the countryside with all the car windows open.

Leant my arm against the arm rest and got the shock of my life, to the point it made me veer all over the road and I nearly crashed the car.

Quite painful at the time, still is slightly painful and uncomfortable. It's left a red mark and the area is swollen. Drew a bit of blood but not to the point it was dripping, you could just see where the skin had been punctured and if I squeeze it blood comes out.

Just curious what kind of insect might have caused this, only insects that sting that I can think of that are native to the UK are all daytime creatures Thinking

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:31 - 07 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a nasty nip on the collar bone from a False Widow spider a few years ago. It didn’t draw blood but it felt like a bee sting.

https://i.postimg.cc/ZKHm2wJ6/FB836364-2-EBC-4699-9-E61-D04-A582-E3-D52.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:50 - 07 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main one will bite and draw blood plus you don't always realise as it anaesthetises locally is Horsefly, they are about into late evening.
If you were moving at any speed maybe a bug or something just crashed into your arm?
A lot of them have vaguely nasty innards as defence mechanism.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:41 - 07 Sep 2022    Post subject: Re: Any entomologists in here? Reply with quote

TravisBickle wrote:
I've just been bitten!

Leant my arm against the arm rest and got the shock of my life, to the point it made me veer all over the road and I nearly crashed the car.

Quite painful at the time, still is slightly painful and uncomfortable. It's left a red mark and the area is swollen. Drew a bit of blood but not to the point it was dripping, you could just see where the skin had been punctured and if I squeeze it blood comes out.

Just curious what kind of insect might have caused this, only insects that sting that I can think of that are native to the UK are all daytime creatures Thinking

If you're sure it's a bite rather than a sting, then I'd say you've been bitten by a cleg. The bite itself is painless - it hurts when they rip their mouthparts out after they've taken their blood meal. It often leaves a weal.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:11 - 07 Sep 2022    Post subject: Re: Any entomologists in here? Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
TravisBickle wrote:
I've just been bitten!

If you're sure it's a bite rather than a sting, then I'd say you've been bitten by a cleg. The bite itself is painless - it hurts when they rip their mouthparts out after they've taken their blood meal. It often leaves a weal.

Is that Scottish for a type of horse fly? Google sort of lumps them in together. I've never heard them called that before.

Notch-horned cleg-fly (horse fly)

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=cleg

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 07 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are also called clegs here in Yorkshire
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 07 Sep 2022    Post subject: Re: Any entomologists in here? Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Islander wrote:

Is that Scottish for a type of horse fly? Google sort of lumps them in together. I've never heard them called that before.

Notch-horned cleg-fly (horse fly)

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=cleg

I'm not sure whether it's a regional thing - I knew them as clegs when I lived in London as well. But yes, they're horse flies - long squarish looking buggers.

https://live.staticflickr.com/4075/4742995790_5430b4f958_b.jpg

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:42 - 07 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:

Distant relative of the Compo or Foggy?

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:52 - 08 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
doggone wrote:

Distant relative of the Compo or Foggy?

No, but is related to the Nora.

I've evaded them this year...just a couple of months and all being well I'll not get stung by a wasp. That's a good year for me....well apart from the crabs and despair.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:51 - 08 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis "Spiderman" Bickle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:58 - 13 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still alive!

My arm was fully inside the vehicle when it happened so it definitely wasn't something that hit me at speed. I was definitely something I leant on that was inside my car on my door arm rest. Definitely wasn't anesthetised as it hurt enough and was sudden enough to shock me into swerving all over the road and nearly mounting the curb or would have hit an oncomming car on the other side of the road had there been one coming.

The redness went away the next day and so did the lingering stinging pain that was there for the rest of the evening. Was left with a brown mark that's turned into a scab. No infection and most disappointingly no puss Sad

Very peculiar!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:12 - 13 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

TravisBickle wrote:
I'm still alive!

Thanks very much. My life at the moment is problematic* enough without knowing that you still exist.

* in the first world problem sense.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:43 - 13 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

So long as there is no mention of millions of baby cockroaches crawling out of the scab ...

Doh!

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:49 - 13 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRgXDZghPj8

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:13 - 13 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ain't even gonna click ... Folded arms

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 13 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's YouTube.

Can't be that bad Thinking

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:39 - 13 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend was bitten by a UK spider and the wound developed necrosis. He had a hole in his arm like half a ping pong ball.

You know it’s still in the car, right?
Twisted Evil

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:26 - 14 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:

I live (not native, mind...) in Yorkshire, and to me a clegg is a proportion of underpant. One's 'cleggs' are like one's 'kecks', i.e. one's pants...

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:54 - 22 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've not seen a clegg until you've seen the giant dark horsefly type. They're like fucking helicopters.

https://naturenet.net/blogs/wp-content/uploads/tabanus-sudeticus.jpg

I was once bitten by a flower bug. Particularly sore bite which did bleed, then was horribly swollen and itchy for about a week afterwards. I wasn't aware they bit, but they sure as hell do and it was definately one of those because I saw it do it (looking at it thinking "I wonder what sort of bug that is?").
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bc/Anthocoris_nemorum1.jpg

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:22 - 26 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
TravisBickle wrote:
I'm still alive!

Thanks very much. My life at the moment is problematic* enough without knowing that you still exist.

* in the first world problem sense.

Ahh Nobbers, you auld romantic fool.
That's a lovely thought.

Your sensitive side slips out the leg of your undercrackers now and then.

Refreshing.

Last edited by MCN on 16:30 - 26 Sep 2022; edited 1 time in total

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:28 - 26 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sub-Saharan Africa has the best beasties.
A sore one it the Tetse Fly. Similar to clegg bites a chunk of skin out.

Tumbo Fly.... Sneaky wee bastirts lay eggs in damp washing. The grubs hatch when you wear the clothes and burrow into your skin. Cool.
Ironing kills the eggs. Tumble dryer is better though.

Rhino Beetle. Dumbest-fuk-at-flying beasties ever. Half the size of a squash ball. Hee-Haw steering so when one is hooning down a bush road and one of them collides with you it hurts like a bastirt. Makes a mess of guts too.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:39 - 26 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

TravisBickle wrote:
It's YouTube.

Can't be that bad Thinking

Youtube absolutely CAN be that bad!

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:52 - 26 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was uncalled for!

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:33 - 26 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folded arms
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 183 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1