Ballpark figure

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:00 - 26 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update from said friend:

It was parked up in 2018. It was running fine. I was starting it regularly, when it was in the garage, for 18 months or so, then put the new battery on, then probably another 4 to 6 months. No other problems that I know of. Xx

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:13 - 26 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

somewhere between a grand and 1500 depending on what the tyres and chain/sprox etc. are like - anticipating spending AT LEAST £500 on it even if the consumables are ok - like, if it's sat for yonks, it's really common for fork seals to fail, tyres might be a bit deformed too, if its sat on flat-ish ones, i dunno

i think you would really really have to want this make and model to be over £1500

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 26 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A low value, low interest commuter bike.. just not worth it to try and make a profit..

If, on the other hand, you enjoy tinkering and need workshop therapy then fill yer boots - 500 quid tops.

Cheers

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 26 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah my gut feeling is around £250 to £300 but don't wanna insult the man.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:39 - 26 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

TravisBickle wrote:
We're flat out at work at the moment I barely have time to do admin and open letters/emails.

I have to be realistic and say £45 per hour minimum.

I was kinda hoping it would be something I could do in my 'spare time' and so what I consider my time to be worth less relevant.

But when you don't have any spare time and would have to make time for it at the expense of something else, it's a pertinent point you raise!

I find it quite amusing that you operate the opposite of me where you value your free time less than you do your working time Laughing I make approximately £57.95 (depending on bonuses and dividends it could be higher or potentially lower) in my working time and that doesn't include pension or employers national insurance.

For me to give up my free time I would need to be getting at the very, very least £75 an hour out of it. The only exception is if I am doing something for charity, then it goes the opposite way.

For me, this kind of thing has too much of an unknown margin. I would be speculating a punt at £250 on the hope it's only going to be a couple hundred to fix it in parts and a few hours of garage time at the most.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:42 - 26 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah actually just re-read the mileage - it is pretty high tbf

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 26 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
TravisBickle wrote:
We're flat out at work at the moment I barely have time to do admin and open letters/emails.

I have to be realistic and say £45 per hour minimum.

I was kinda hoping it would be something I could do in my 'spare time' and so what I consider my time to be worth less relevant.

But when you don't have any spare time and would have to make time for it at the expense of something else, it's a pertinent point you raise!

I find it quite amusing that you operate the opposite of me where you value your free time less than you do your working time Laughing I make approximately £57.95 (depending on bonuses and dividends it could be higher or potentially lower) in my working time and that doesn't include pension or employers national insurance.

For me to give up my free time I would need to be getting at the very, very least £75 an hour out of it. The only exception is if I am doing something for charity, then it goes the opposite way.

For me, this kind of thing has too much of an unknown margin. I would be speculating a punt at £250 on the hope it's only going to be a couple hundred to fix it in parts and a few hours of garage time at the most.

Why you running some pile of shite Chinese knock off 125 if you're on soo much money?

As for OP, once you come up against the people that will want to buy a clapped out cb500, you'll never want to sell a bike ever again
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:56 - 26 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Fzs wrote:
As for OP, once you come up against the people that will want to buy a clapped out cb500, you'll never want to sell a bike ever again

Laughing

Too true!

I usually find AutoTrader better for filtering out the dickheads. Ebay browsers tend to be worse. Especially, as you say, the lower the value of the thing you're selling the more cretinous the people interested in it can be.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:41 - 27 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Fzs wrote:
Why you running some pile of shite Chinese knock off 125 if you're on soo much money?

Because I felt like it? Rolling Eyes

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:24 - 02 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

TLDR got the CB500 S in the end and paid someone to do the work. Probably going to break even on it or give it to my dad for free. No big deal.

Have paid for the work but not picked the bike up yet, he's an old boy my bike mechanic up the road, old school, gave the bike a complete going over so it's MOT ready now. Full service the works. Stripped and ultrasounded the carbs.

Virtually good to go, the bike is 99%. Just one very peculiar thing it does. When he first started working on it the weather was quite mild and he got it running putting a syringe of petrol on the fuel line but not connected to the tank etc. so make sure it ran ok. Bike would start fine from cold in mild weather. He completed the job and put everything back together, but this time the outside temperature has really dropped and now even though the carbs have been overhauled it's really weird, there's an overflow/breather pipe that goes to the carbs, it won't start from cold unless you give the smallest amount of positive pressure blowing with your mouth down this breather pipe. Blowing hard doesn't work, nor does sucking. Just lips round the hose with the smallest amount of positive pressure gets it to fire up. Once the engine is warm it's start without blowing down the pipe. Just won't start from cold without doing this.

Have yet to find out if this remains the case once the weather warms up a bit.

Any ideas what this could be? Think running it around a bit would clear the problem?
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:11 - 02 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave001 wrote:
golded rule when buy never name a price make the seller name his

go see it ask him his lowst price after checking it over
dont worry about silence just stare at him to you get a a answer

if he knows the game and there no way you getting a answer
of a really silly low price

then ask again what his lowest price if still dont get it walk away
there be plenty more for sale even more with the shit thats coming

People that ask for the lowest price when they've seen a price on the ad never get anything off unless the seller is a desperate crackhead

Rolling up, spending your own money getting there and then expecting money to be knocked off has a very tiny success rate, been watching Mike Brewer too much, reminds me of the time i was selling an NC30, this guy travels 2 hours and then says the engines ticking, he wants 500 off, i just told him to go home and then i sold it for the price i wanted the following week.

Is the pipe that you blow in (odd thing to find a way of starting) supposed to be connected to something? vacuum pipe etc
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:08 - 03 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave001 wrote:

iv never payed the adverticed price for any bike or car private or at a dearler in my life

your picking the wroung adverts i can normaly gage if its worth a drive with a phone call thers other factors two in adds and age of add

what you got to remember is thers always some one in need of cash or
a car or bike taking up valible space that needs moving

only time i pay adverticed price is if it rare or below book price

a nc30 is rere thers only about 40 odd left in uk on the road

i aint going to be buying or making offers on what i dont know about

the next two year the market is in trouble bikes are starting to show up now on market

car dearlers are in shit with the inflated prices they pay during and just after covid now ther stuck with over price stock that is only going to sell at a loss

but just now aint the time to buy anything unless its a bargain

by the time the morgage rates take effect the marley with be flooded with bikes in next two years

im fine iv not had to worked since the 80`s and are morgage free

I've heard this crap for the last decade, prices are gonna drop ( on a market where more and more people are coming in every year and the houses aint being built, supply and demand ) ?

Car dealers name their price because the new ones aint coming, firms sat on their arse for the last 2 years and now there's no capacity to replace what was once plentiful , even now inflation is only high thanks to a Bizarre war disrupting fuel and energy prices

Anyone that usually wants cash desperately hasn't looked after the bike properly and so, all the hidden issues appear when you start using it

my mortgage has gone up £100 a month, not something i'd be selling assets over that generally beat inflation, you'll just get the desperates selling the rubbish , k3 gsxr's and R6's with cracked liners
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:00 - 03 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave001 wrote:

im fine iv not had to worked since the 80`s and are morgage free

..is that so? Are you quite old then??

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:38 - 04 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Fzs wrote:
Is the pipe that you blow in (odd thing to find a way of starting) supposed to be connected to something? vacuum pipe etc

Good question!

I asked my mechanic and he said it just goes towards the rear of the bike and hangs loose, like for atmospheric pressure.

Hoping to pick the bike up Friday, take it for MOT and run it round for a few days and see if the problem clears itself with use.

He's speculated maybe crystalised fuel in some of the drillings, although he ultrasonic cleaned it two or three times. Could this potentially be a possibility? Any fuel additives one could buy to maybe clear this fault? He said he could investigate further but conscious it's not an open cheque book and considering the value of the bike might be better to stop here before the cost gets out of control.

On the assumption I could sell it tomorrow for around a grand, I should at least get my money back on it. It runs sweet as a nut once it's started, like I say though it just doesn't start from cold unless you put a small amount of positive air pressure on that pipe.

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:16 - 04 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

TravisBickle wrote:
Rob Fzs wrote:

Good question!

I asked my mechanic and he said it just goes towards the rear of the bike and hangs loose, like for atmospheric pressure.

Hoping to pick the bike up Friday, take it for MOT and run it round for a few days and see if the problem clears itself with use.

He's speculated maybe crystalised fuel in some of the drillings, although he ultrasonic cleaned it two or three times. Could this potentially be a possibility? Any fuel additives one could buy to maybe clear this fault? He said he could investigate further but conscious it's not an open cheque book and considering the value of the bike might be better to stop here before the cost gets out of control.

On the assumption I could sell it tomorrow for around a grand, I should at least get my money back on it. It runs sweet as a nut once it's started, like I say though it just doesn't start from cold unless you put a small amount of positive air pressure on that pipe.

Give it a thrashing with E5 fuel in for 100 miles and see if it's settled down?

bad starting but fine once running is sometimes valve clearances out
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:26 - 04 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Fzs wrote:
Give it a thrashing with E5 fuel in for 100 miles and see if it's settled down?

bad starting but fine once running is sometimes valve clearances out

Thanks, I'll do that. I pick it up Friday hopefully and get it MOT'd and maybe take it to the coast next weekend.

I'll keep you posted.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 106 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2