Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Todays - What Grinds my gears

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 105, 106, 107 ... 175, 176, 177  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:39 - 09 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than one camping trip, I only ever keep waterproofs and my helmet in the top box.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:32 - 09 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its about the weight of your helmet, we know you are dying to show us how heavy it is ... Shifty

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:27 - 10 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gears ground by "monospeed drivers". You know the sort, 40mph everywhere. NSL, 50mph, 40mph, 30mph . . . they have one speed. Behind one yesterday on the C90 . . . which will happily bowl along at 50mph and it's a 50mph road. Eventually a long straight that's clear, so I "go for it" (as much as one can on a C90, basically throttle wide open and head on the handlebars). Draw level with him and he starts accelerating slowly, eventually matching my pace. Running out of road now, so have to tuck back in again behind him. Temporary traffic lights and I filter in front, much head shaking from him. Once clear of the lights I put a big distance between us very quickly (and I can't claim savage acceleration) so clearly he was back to 40mph again. What is it with some people?!

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:41 - 10 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fucking trapped nerve in my lower back been making me walk like I've shit my pants for the last few days. I can usually
pop it fairly easy when it does this, but this time it's affected my mobility to such an extent that I can't twist the way I do
to pop it.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:13 - 10 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Gears ground by "monospeed drivers". You know the sort, 40mph everywhere. NSL, 50mph, 40mph, 30mph . . . they have one speed. Behind one yesterday on the C90 . . . which will happily bowl along at 50mph and it's a 50mph road. Eventually a long straight that's clear, so I "go for it" (as much as one can on a C90, basically throttle wide open and head on the handlebars). Draw level with him and he starts accelerating slowly, eventually matching my pace. Running out of road now, so have to tuck back in again behind him. Temporary traffic lights and I filter in front, much head shaking from him. Once clear of the lights I put a big distance between us very quickly (and I can't claim savage acceleration) so clearly he was back to 40mph again. What is it with some people?!

Yeah, had this in the car loads of times. "What do you want to bet they just carry on doing 35? [on entering a 30mph zone]" I often observe to the wife Sad On the bike, not so much Wink

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:48 - 10 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Yeah, had this in the car loads of times. "What do you want to bet they just carry on doing 35? [on entering a 30mph zone]" I often observe to the wife Sad On the bike, not so much Wink

Indeed. Unfortunately with 8bhp at my disposal, opportunities to get away from such individuals are few and far between. I have to wait for traffic lights usually!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:29 - 10 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today was the last Monday kayaking training session of the year. Doh!

Next Monday is the first running session of winter training. Crying or Very sad

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:03 - 10 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely kayak season is just starting?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:16 - 10 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not seasonal, paddling all year is the way to go. Razz

The lack of daylight is the problem as it limits who's able to go out on the water in the evenings. Which means some of us will be creating our own training sessions where we go paddling in the dark. Dance!

Winter is good because paddle boarders don't do cold weather and wild swimmers don't like winter so we mostly have the river to ourselves.

Mr. Green

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:58 - 10 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argyle was deep in water last Friday. I saw rivers that are normally burns.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:22 - 11 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Other than one camping trip, I only ever keep waterproofs and my helmet in the top box.

That looks barely thick enough to hold my cup of tea let alone what you're carrying. Racks these days just aren't man enough..!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:16 - 11 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

blurredman wrote:
The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

That looks barely thick enough to hold my cup of tea let alone what you're carrying. Racks these days just aren't man enough..!

They say that the current model has been improved since they've had multiple cases of failure. Not holding my breath.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:35 - 12 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Please click on the link we've just sent to the email you gave us to activate your account"

But you never did send me an email did you, you BASTARDS

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:34 - 12 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Car repair costs!

One of my daughters knows nowt about cars but she at least knows enough for me to check things over before an MoT...

"And can you check the brake discs? Not the pads, they're fine. They mentioned it when it was last serviced." Oh really Rolling Eyes I looked and yes the discs are worn down a bit but years away from being a problem (car is 4 years old.) There's a lip but could probably tap it off with a toffee hammer if it came to it Smile However, I did notice the front tyres were nearly bald so I made sure she got them replaced.

MoT result: pass with no advisories. The garage "went above and beyond" to offer their own advisory and suggested replacing the front brake discs at a cost of... wait for it... £512 Shocked (That probably includes new pads as they "only" have 7mm of meat left, ffs.)

BTW a set of discs and pads for this car would cost me £60~£70 and take about an hour to fit. Does help if you have a trolley jack ofc Wink

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:16 - 12 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
£512 Shocked (That probably includes new pads as they "only" have 7mm of meat left, ffs.)

BTW a set of discs and pads for this car would cost me £60~£70 and take about an hour to fit. Does help if you have a trolley jack ofc Wink

It's genuinely unbelievable the rip of prices some garages especially dealers need to charge. I had someone say that my pads only had 9mm on them. I literally repeated the word only. The car was only there because of a recall (Zafira).

Luckily i'm fairly handy and pads/disks etc aren't a problem and we have mechanics at work also. I fix the IT, they fix the car.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:37 - 12 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

My neighbour mentioned to me today how a little old lady he knows showed him a quote for her Honda Civic: £110... for new headlight bulbs Shocked He tore up the quote and did it for nothing.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:56 - 12 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Fiat dealer try and convince me that £75 was a fair price for 4 spark plugs. Identical set bought at ECP £13.
They prey on ignorant/apathetic people with more money than sense, a little like insurance companies.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:11 - 13 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people just don't know how much these things cost and sometimes even think such prices are reasonable...

EDIT: What annoys me, and this has been the case for years is that depending on what you search for 'images' is not always the 2nd in-line next to 'all' link search results. Images always used to be 2nd in line but sometimes instead it's 'news' or 'shopping' and even many years later after they changed this I still get caught out.

Last edited by blurredman on 09:33 - 13 Oct 2022; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 08:42 - 13 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki wanted £300 for a set of kingpin bearings for my old Suzuki Jimny.

Got a set from the bearing factors for £25 and a local motor engineer fitted them for £60 (he said it was genuinely less than an hours work, AND he shimmed them properly so they wouldn't go again). Not cheap shite bearings either, timkens.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:24 - 13 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Got a set from the bearing factors for £25 and a local motor engineer fitted them for £60 (he said it was genuinely less than an hours work, AND he shimmed them properly so they wouldn't go again). Not cheap shite bearings either, timkens.

Anything named "Jimny" deserves to die.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:40 - 13 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

Anything named "Jimny" deserves to die.

In the US it's called the 'Samurai' which is somehow worse.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:53 - 13 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not getting paid for a weekends 'work' I did last month.
The situation has been resolved but I don't need the ballaché.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:00 - 13 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooncil telly (again).
Who the utter is in command of programming at BBC?

I just clicked onto BBC 1 and some absolute drivel is on Unbreakable.

Camp Men, Weird looking dude who's sat through too many beauty treatments, looks like a madame tussauds exhibit. And that omnipotent Essex fackin' Acksents.

That's it, I'm voting for independence at the next referendum now.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:01 - 13 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

No post exits... fecking forum is broken.

Last edited by MCN on 00:03 - 14 Oct 2022; edited 1 time in total

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:02 - 13 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I moved my comment to its own thread.

I don't know if I should cancel my TV licence of Rage Flounce BCF. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by MCN on 00:05 - 14 Oct 2022; edited 1 time in total
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 188 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 105, 106, 107 ... 175, 176, 177  Next
Page 106 of 177