Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Green energy. Is that actually possible?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:59 - 04 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course the minority ideologies are leading. Look at BLM. 13% of the UK is BAME, 40% in London, seems like 60% in adverts Laughing

I’m not sure the silent majority are worried about climate change, and they couldn’t openly express that anyway, such is the world we live in. When they do express their views in an election their representatives are too afraid to do the job.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:10 - 04 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

I’m not sure the silent majority are worried about climate change, and they couldn’t openly express that anyway, such is the world we live in.

Exactly. They are not just silent, but silenced.
The climate change ideology offers huge power now to those who get on board. There are very few significant policy areas that it can't have leverage over, and those that it can't, well, that's where the minority ones come in. Remember, this is all globalist stuff. National politics will take more and more of a back seat.

This doesn't mean that other issues won't become prominent from time to time. In fact, they make nice distractions from the main one, the agenda of which can be carried forwards underneath. But when climate change knocks heads with anything else, you can bet on which will win in the end. What do race or gender matter if the very end of the world is nigh? In fact, you could put that old classic sandwich board on and parade it in some very high profile circles, and no one will laugh at you now.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 04 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Islander wrote:

Oddly enough, China is actively reducing its dependence on coal. It's not a fast process but they recognise the need and are acting.

You're rather fond of the CCP aren't you? Laughing
How is building over 100 coal-fired power stations in the last 2 years helping, do tell?

Not as much of a fan as you. Razz

It's coal use is falling in relative terms and they're trying to achieve zero carbon by 2060. Read into that what you will but there are plenty of sources to choose from.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:39 - 04 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

You're rather fond of the CCP aren't you? Laughing
How is building over 100 coal-fired power stations in the last 2 years helping, do tell?

Not as much of a fan as you. Razz

You're the one always sticking up for the Chinese. I think the CCP is an obnoxious entity. Is it something to do with your employer and their connections?

Quote:
It's coal use is falling in relative terms and they're trying to achieve zero carbon by 2060. Read into that what you will but there are plenty of sources to choose from.

What I read into that is that climate change alarmists like yourself need to work more on your panicking Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:40 - 04 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Exactly. They are not just silent, but silenced.
The climate change ideology offers huge power now to those who get on board. There are very few significant policy areas that it can't have leverage over, and those that it can't, well, that's where the minority ones come in. Remember, this is all globalist stuff. National politics will take more and more of a back seat.

Use of that sort of term may just get you called a climate change denier. Laughing

It's not an ideology, it's a scientifically measured and tested fact. The global mean surface temperature is increasing along with human produced CO2 in the atmosphere.

Try to avoid the dogma based glib political repartee - it really doesn't do you any credit. Wink

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:52 - 04 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

Use of that sort of term may just get you called a climate change denier. Laughing

Coming from you, I'd wear it as a badge of pride Smile

Quote:
It's not an ideology, it's a scientifically measured and tested fact. The global mean surface temperature is increasing along with human produced CO2 in the atmosphere.

It's a hypothesis built up into an ideology.

Quote:
Try to avoid the dogma based glib political repartee - it really doesn't do you any credit. Wink

Oh noes, I might lose credit with you?! Shocked Crying or Very sad

Laughing

What is your employer's connection with the CCP...or the Chinese, if you want to split hairs?

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:36 - 04 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

You're the one always sticking up for the Chinese. I think the CCP is an obnoxious entity. Is it something to do with your employer and their connections?

Quote:

What I read into that is that climate change alarmists like yourself need to work more on your panicking Laughing

I can't remember a single occasion where I've stuck up for the CCP. I'll present a fact on occasion but that's not an indicator of any liking for them. Feel free to show me where I've professed support though.

I'm not an alarmist, again I present facts.

Deary me, you can do better than this. Laughing

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:39 - 04 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Islander wrote:

Coming from you, I'd wear it as a badge of pride Smile

Quote:

It's a hypothesis built up into an ideology.

Quote:

Oh noes, I might lose credit with you?! Shocked Crying or Very sad

Laughing

What is your employer's connection with the CCP...or the Chinese, if you want to split hairs?

It's not a hypothesis. Do keep up old chap. Laughing

My employer's connection? Absolutely none.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:49 - 04 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

I can't remember a single occasion where I've stuck up for the CCP. I'll present a fact on occasion but that's not an indicator of any liking for them. Feel free to show me where I've professed support though.

Do you think of them as a force for good in the world, or ill?

Quote:

You present exactly what all the other ideologues preach. Anyone who disagrees or claims conflicting evidence you denounce, personally. In fact, you do that with all political and politicised issues. Islamists and other religious zealots do exactly the same. This is why your credibility is so low.
And because you still haven't figured out that telescope cap Laughing

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:12 - 05 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:
No such thing as council houses since right to buy and selling off the remainder to housing assiciations.....

Ok, but there are 3 million people in the UK on housing benefit. Start with mandatory, fully funded solar installations on those instead of subsidising energy costs directly.

The wants and desires of the occupier/owner/local planning department/nimbys don't come into it. You refuse and no more housing benefit. You accept, you get free power.

You could probably power a couple of cities on the amount of bawwing and butthurt it would create.

Side effect would be a step-change in production and fitting skills for the installations, driving down the cost of them for everyone else. Also investing money in capital expenditure and job creation which has to be better for the economy than "quantitative easing".

They call them 'Fake' solar panels.

Low rent housing (or whatever they call them) are being fitted with full roof panels.

I think they are called fake by the usual suspects who negative karma everything.

The are not fake they just pump power into the grid. SOmeone gets paid for the power just not the person living in the home. They get cheaper energy which isn't a total bad deal since they do not pay the install costs. Probably wont pay the maintenance of them too. Inverters last 10-15 years they say. Major part of the solar energy system.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:02 - 05 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Islander wrote:

Do you think of them as a force for good in the world, or ill?

A highly militaristic and oppressive regime? What do you think.

chickenstrip wrote:
Quote:

You present exactly what all the other ideologues preach. Anyone who disagrees or claims conflicting evidence you denounce, personally. In fact, you do that with all political and politicised issues. Islamists and other religious zealots do exactly the same. This is why your credibility is so low.
And because you still haven't figured out that telescope cap Laughing

Maybe because they're presenting actual facts as well. Had that occurred to you? Laughing

Actually I've denounced very few people - I'm happy to engage with anyone - apart from rabid conspiracy nuts and equally rabid bigots.

You've accused me of this before with little evidence to back it up - has it occurred to you that you're doing exactly what you're accusing me of? Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:19 - 05 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm, I get the feeling with the Green stuff that we're all out hiking with people going "come along now, keep up!" when some members of the party haven't been offered the courtesy of seeing the map.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:28 - 05 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Islander: No, I'm not an ideologue. I take in all you are saying (although I can go to better sources), but I also look at other opinions and evidence (when it isn't suppressed - and why would anyone do that? Scientific ideas need rigorous challenging; even scientists can, and do, get it wrong), not just what the mainstream feeds me. I see some compelling arguments from respected people on both sides. I basically accept that man-made climate change is possible, perhaps even happening. But we need to think VERY carefully before we go for extreme measures, especially where those measures can cause as much death and misery as any actual climactic events, which with globally enacted policies, they could well do.

It is not just the carbon argument that is affecting these policies either. Others are screaming about methane produced by livestock (predominantly cattle), and what is the response? In Holland for e.g., it's enforced cuts of livestock herds of 30% or more, banning of essential fertilisers (at a time when fertiliser availability is already drastically reduced by the Ukraine/Russia mess). And Holland is one of the world's major exporters of food to the world. It just seems to me that we get knee-jerk policies where the consequences have not been thought through. And so we get major civil unrest as is happening in Holland and many other places. The climate change lot aren't carrying people with them and so ultimately they will either have to crack down, which will produce its own disasters, or they will simply lose their argument, right or wrong. These are serious things to think about.

I will challenge any position where one side is being shut down rather than debated, especially where the consequences of policies adopted can be so great. Again, we NEED rigorous debate on these things, not childish cries of this-or-that denier. To people who do that I say, grow up ffs.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:20 - 13 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw an interesting video on solar energy and Africa. The Sahara Desert would be a great place for solar farms but the problem is more running interconnects to places that'd buy the energy, i.e. Europe.

Then there's thin-film solar:

https://youtu.be/tQmFVcD-Mbo

tl;dr Stacking thin-films can lead to higher efficiency per square metre compared to traditional glass panels.

Still a long way to rinse all there is out of solar energy; something to look forward to Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 195 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3