Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Another What Bike? Thread...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:10 - 16 Oct 2022    Post subject: Another What Bike? Thread... Reply with quote

I commute and scratch (the latter fairly gently, these days). I'm 52, 6'1” and like comfort and practicality, but with a turn of speed when required. My current ride is a Bandit 1250 and I'd like something a tad lighter/more modern but I'm not a fan of too many “Rider aids”.

Current thoughts are:

Suzuki V Strom 650 (the sensible option): Comfortable, economical, reliable, super practical, minimal electronic gadgetry. Everything I need, but is it everything that I want...?

Triumph Tiger 660: Similar to V Strom and a tad livelier but I'm a bit put off by conflicting reports re Triumph reliability.

Yamaha MT09: I've test ridden this one. Comfortable and quick but slightly crude, slightly cheap feeling and festooned with electro-gizmology.

Kawasaki Z1000SX: Looks to be everything that I'd ever want, if I can get comfortable on one (I've never sat on one).

Or...

The new Hornet 750: Again, depends on the ergos and what accessories (eg luggage) are going to be available for it.

Or anything else that I might have missed?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:21 - 16 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a 1080 tiger sport. You're a big guy. They look big and heavy but ride like a sportsbike. It'll feel sophisticated after a bandit.

I'm concerned a 660 tiger or v-strom will feel flat jumping from a 1250 inline 4.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:23 - 16 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd steer clear of the MT0* just because of the nickability rating. My bike was nicked and recovered and the recovery guy said 'whatever you do don't replace it with a MT anything we pull in more of those after being stolen than any other bike.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:55 - 16 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJP wrote:

Yamaha MT09: I've test ridden this one. Comfortable and quick but slightly crude, slightly cheap feeling and festooned with electro-gizmology.

Get a first gen one like mine, ABS only, switchable by fuse removal. Laughing The engines have a reputation for bulletproofness
and the ride can be fixed with some upgraded suspension. My 66 plate has done 3000 miles or thereabouts so low miles
examples are out there. Trading mine in in 11 days time.

Pete. wrote:
I'd steer clear of the MT0* just because of the nickability rating. My bike was nicked and recovered and the recovery guy said 'whatever you do don't replace it with a MT anything we pull in more of those after being stolen than any other bike.

Pale Thinking Gap insurance it is then... Given I'm about to replace my 09 with a 10. Mind you I've had that nearly
6 years and it's not been nicked/tampered with yet and my insurance premium doesn't suggest it's that nickable.

Last edited by grr666 on 22:10 - 16 Oct 2022; edited 1 time in total

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:03 - 16 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Z900RS?
Although I may be thinking more about what I want than what you want Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:15 - 16 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

There's always the XSR900 flavour or the Z900RS for the more traditional look. Scotes don't like wearing grandad's slippers Smile

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:21 - 16 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Scotes don't like wearing grandad's slippers Smile

Oi, be careful who you're calling grandad! You're nearer the grave than I am Laughing
And I don't know what Scots have got to do with it. You racist?
Tartan slippers, mind...need some new ones.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:39 - 16 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve got a Z thou. Stock seat isn’t luxurious but you can change that. It’s heavy wrestling it about the garage but surprisingly light when moving. It’s only my second bike so nothing to compare it against but I find it effortless, handles well and for me the 140hp is more than enough at the moment! Average about 40mpg.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:53 - 16 Oct 2022    Post subject: Re: Another What Bike? Thread... Reply with quote

DJP wrote:
I commute and scratch (the latter fairly gently, these days). I'm 52, 6'1” and like comfort and practicality, but with a turn of speed when required. My current ride is a Bandit 1250 and I'd like something a tad lighter/more modern but I'm not a fan of too many “Rider aids”.

Current thoughts are:

Suzuki V Strom 650 (the sensible option): Comfortable, economical, reliable, super practical, minimal electronic gadgetry. Everything I need, but is it everything that I want...?

Triumph Tiger 660: Similar to V Strom and a tad livelier but I'm a bit put off by conflicting reports re Triumph reliability.

Kawasaki Z1000SX: Looks to be everything that I'd ever want, if I can get comfortable on one (I've never sat on one).

Or...

The new Hornet 750: Again, depends on the ergos and what accessories (eg luggage) are going to be available for it.

Or anything else that I might have missed?

ktm 790

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:22 - 17 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could split the difference on the Tiger options and get a Tiger 800. I personally hated the looks (I think they look unfinished), but my brother had one and they're a fantastic all-rounder. Very comfy, plush suspension, excellent neutral handling (loaded up or not), very flexible engine that's happy at any revs. If I'm being critical the engine perhaps lacked a little zing at the top end. Worth checking out at the very least. Thumbs Up

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:19 - 17 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think they're dear, heavy and unless it's an xca or xcx with the wp suspension and 21" front I'm not sure i can muster any real enthusiasm - but yeah they seem really well-liked and just will not bloody well depreciate

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Irezumi
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:16 - 18 Oct 2022    Post subject: Re: Another What Bike? Thread... Reply with quote

DJP wrote:

V-strom 1000 maybe. Good luck getting a tiger 660, not even been able to get a test ride on one as they're all sold out!

KTM SMT might be worth a shout.

Yamaha Fazer (FZ1) would probably be a good shout as well.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:25 - 18 Oct 2022    Post subject: Re: Another What Bike? Thread... Reply with quote

Irezumi wrote:

KTM SMT might be worth a shout.

Quote:
and like comfort and practicality, but with a turn of speed when required.

You could spin the sentence the other way and say a turn of speed but with a bit of practicality and comfort when required, and I still wouldn't recommend a 990 SMT Laughing

Bastard thing just tried to kill me any time I tried to ride it anything other than flat out. It was ridiculous for it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 189 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1