Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Newbie biker (late 30s) - Advice on losing grip on throttle

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

markb_1984
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:36 - 22 Oct 2022    Post subject: Newbie biker (late 30s) - Advice on losing grip on throttle Reply with quote

Hi I'm a newbie rider. I did my CBT in 2021, but just bought and started riding in September 2022. I bought myself a new Honda CB125F. For the most part, I am really enjoying riding. I do still seem to stall a few more times than I would like and also feel my slow speed control is still quite basic, but improving over a little each time I ride out.

I have one particular issue I wanted to reach out to see if anyone can help pinpoint possible causes. I have just done over 300 miles on my bike since I bought it new, around 6 weeks ago. For the first 150 miles or so, I had no issues of note with my grip on the throttle. I have found however that each subsequent ride I've been out over the last few weeks, my right hand (glove) seems to be slipping more and not feeling as tight a grip on the throttle as I remember in the beginning. I've developed a few techniques to help, but I'm finding losing grip is especially affecting me in having full control at slow speeds and in moving from a standstill. Since starting out in September, I have been using RST CE textile summer gloves (https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/366257). I would have thought that summer gloves would have offered the best grip being made from a thin, lightweight material. Is my problem likely to be glove related or could it be related to the motorbike throttle sleeve and why would I be finding I'm losing grip after doing so few miles? Most of my trips are usually between 20-30 miles so I would have thought that would be classed as short distance and not enough to be the main cause.

Appreciate the views of this community?

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:42 - 23 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey markb_1984, welcome to the wonderful world of motorcycling. Sorry to read that you are losing your grip, especially with your right hand. My quality of life would really take a dive if my right-hand lost grip, I shudder to even think about it. In my estimation, your problem is probably not related to your gloves, but you could try a different pair to see if your grip improves. You could also try squeezing harder. That usually works for me. Wink

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:05 - 23 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

markb_1984 wrote:

I have one particular issue I wanted to reach out to see if anyone can help pinpoint possible causes.

Late 30s? you seem younger..

Try leather gloves, or as Jeff helpfully suggests, grip harder. Wink

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:07 - 23 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever the cause, I'd strongly recommend trying a pair of Grip Puppies on the handlebars:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00F6S7ER8/
Makes the grip larger (easier to hold) and creates more friction between grip and glove. Easy to fit, nothing to lose and a cheaper fix than trying any new gloves

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:28 - 23 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

markb_1984 wrote:
For the first 150 miles or so, I had no issues of note with my grip on the throttle. I have found however that each subsequent ride I've been out over the last few weeks, my right hand (glove) seems to be slipping more and not feeling as tight a grip on the throttle as I remember in the beginning. I've developed a few techniques to help, but I'm finding losing grip is especially affecting me in having full control at slow speeds and in moving from a standstill.

It's hard to advise on this because you don't seem entirely sure where the problem is. So step 1, go and ride the bike without a glove on your right hand. Is the problem still there?

If it is, we can ignore your gloves and look at other issues (freddy's suggestion of grip puppies is a good one if the problem is grip strength, for example). If it's not, consider changing your gloves, though looking at them on sportsbikeshop, they've got a rubberised bit between your palm and thumb which is the most important bit in terms of gripping the throttle. Has the rubber bit on the glove (or your throttle grip) got contaminated with something slippery like oil?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:31 - 23 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gloves too big, gloves not grippy enough unless hands sweaty, throttle sticking, or you’ve lost your novice death grip.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:24 - 23 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your grip on the throttle should be light not tight. Carry your body weight through your legs and torso and leave your arms and hands to do the job of controlling the bike through light control. Drop your shoulders and bend your elbows it will make you feel much more relaxed and make controlling your bike easier too. When you come to a bend at a-road speeds, lean forward and into the turn very slightly and notice how much easier making the turn becomes.

Or are you saying that the throttle is rotating in your hand because the return spring is causing it to shut the throttle unexpectedly? Foam grips will stop that.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:05 - 23 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get foam handlebar grips make it almost impossible for it to slip but the extra bulk seems strange at first.
I do remember fitting them to one bike which seemed to have more narrow grips than I was used to and I think they just slid on over the existing ones not sure any glue was involved stretchy I guess.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:37 - 23 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use compressed air to fit foam grips on my BMW because the end of the factory grip is larger than the grip itself. Cut them long, bung in the end, apply air and press the open end against the bar. The foam grips swell up under air pressure until it sldies over the lump on the end of the factory grips.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:57 - 23 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try different gloves

gbrand42
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:20 - 23 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible that your 125 is more focused on the 17 yr old market, and at that age your right hand grip is probably a lot more developed than a man in his 30s Wink

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:25 - 23 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're hand's getting fatigued from white-knuckling

remember the old saying - relax or die

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:09 - 23 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get tennis elbow occasionally which really affects my grip. If you were suffering from this, you'd notice painful elbows and a lack of grip in other situations too and possibly tingling in your fingers (if mine is really bad, i can't lift a full pint glass in one hand). I have a couple of elastic straps I wear just below my elbow when I ride the bike that prevents this.

That's maybe an aside though. The other thing I did which improves my grip on the throttle was to fit oxford fat grips which are a wider outside diameter than standard. Straight-up gives you more leverage.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:42 - 24 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I get tennis elbow .. (if mine is really bad, i can't lift a full pint glass in one hand)

Jeez, that is bad.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:10 - 24 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the bright side. He can fill it half-way and lift it twice!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:05 - 24 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
Look at the bright side. He can fill it half-way and lift it twice!

I'm not too proud to use both hands!

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:41 - 25 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I'm not too proud to use both hands!

Aha! A master of efficiency. Bravo!

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:34 - 25 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relax!

Also consider getting something like this, theyre a godsend on long rides so you can keep the throttle open just by resting your palm on it, rather than death gripping and redlining a small 125 to get any kind of speed out of it.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:21 - 27 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tierbirdy wrote:
Relax!

Also consider getting something like this, theyre a godsend on long rides so you can keep the throttle open just by resting your palm on it, rather than death gripping and redlining a small 125 to get any kind of speed out of it.

Agreed. I use one on one of my bikes. Though a much cheaper varient. They really work well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:56 - 01 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old Yamaha Vity had annoyingly slippery grips, so I bough a roll of non slip rubber sheeting and made a sleeve for the grip, wasn't pretty but did the job.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:17 - 27 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one welcome our new ai overlord.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:47 - 27 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I for one welcome our new ai overlord.

Probably one for the AI thread but as we look forward to Chat LGBT taking over all these spamming operations remember the AI will be capable of having a proper conversation. Given someone's already caused it to have a nervous breakdown on the test system I can envision Nobby firing off some of the questions Decker uses in Bladerunner and the poor machine will go off and self delete Laughing

We can but hope.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 1 day ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1