Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Oil and fuel filling air box up through breathing pipe

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Maffsticky
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:11 - 25 Oct 2022    Post subject: Oil and fuel filling air box up through breathing pipe Reply with quote

Hi all I finally got my bandit 600 to run today but while it was running I was reving it quit hard and all of a sudden there was oil and fuel gushing out the air box so I whipped cover of the box and started it bk up again to find when reved it shoots loads of oil and fuel out through the breather pipe coming from the top of the head can someone please shed a little light on what it could be thanks maff

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:17 - 25 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Head gasket is blown.

Probably not fuel but water...

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:28 - 25 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Head gasket is blown.

Unlikely, the Bandit 600 is oil cooled.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:31 - 25 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still the head gasket though. Nothing else could pressurise the sump to that extent.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:42 - 25 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the oil level to make sure it isn't full of fuel.

If the carb needle valves have been leaking, it could have leaked fuel into the sump.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:43 - 25 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Float valves not sealing could dump fuel into the sump - that would pressurise things too. If it's oil and fuel that's where I'd be looking.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:54 - 25 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that high crankcase pressure is causing the oil/fuel to blow through the breather into the airbox. Loose piston fit and/or failed piston rings could result in blowby. Personally, your description of the problem leads me to believe you have a crack or hole in one of your pistons.

Maffsticky
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:04 - 26 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Head gasket is blown.

Thanks for your reply but it can’t be water has its oil cooled not not water cooled thanks

Maffsticky
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:09 - 26 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
Float valves not sealing could dump fuel into the sump - that would pressurise things too. If it's oil and fuel that's where I'd be looking.

If it’s the float valves would this be able to cause all this pressure and every time u rev it hard it gushes Through the air box

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:24 - 26 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maffsticky wrote:
Islander wrote:

If it’s the float valves would this be able to cause all this pressure and every time u rev it hard it gushes Through the air box

If the sump of your engine is full of petrol, yes. If the level of fluid in the crankcase is too high, when the pistons go down, they either lock and break the conrod because you can't compress liquid or force the fluid out through any holes or gaps, such as the breather.

You should not have petrol coming through a crankcase breather hose, there shouldn't be petrol in the part of the engine it is connected to.

So, yes, check the oil level, make sure there isn't petrol in the oil.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:40 - 26 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine it'd be pretty obvious if it's petrol (or mostly petrol)? The only way I can think of that petrol can get into the engine like that is as above (I have suffered this), carb allowing a constant trickle of fuel past. As above (again) the simplest check is the oil level, assuming you did the last service, presumably you topped the oil to the "max" level but not above (or you've checked it and remember roughly where it was) - if it's leaking fuel into the oil then this level will be sky high, even after a "bit of venting". Incidentally, I wouldn't suggest turning over the engine again until you've diagnosed the issue. As Stinkwheel says, you can bend/break things very easily.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:55 - 26 Oct 2022    Post subject: Re: Oil and fuel filling air box up through breathing pipe Reply with quote

Maffsticky wrote:
Hi all I finally got my bandit 600 to run today but while it was running I was reving it quit hard and all of a sudden there was oil and fuel gushing out the air box so I whipped cover of the box and started it bk up again to find when reved it shoots loads of oil and fuel out through the breather pipe coming from the top of the head can someone please shed a little light on what it could be thanks maff

Is this the one, centre of pic - looks like it's breathing via the cam-chain tunnel?
If so the suggestion that it is over filled with leaked petrol/oil seem likely. what's it smell like if you put your nose to the oil filler hole.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/AVYAAOSwCh5hlahv/s-l1600.jpg

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 176 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1