Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Stolen bike recovered, engine knocking noise + low oil level

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Az
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:35 - 14 Mar 2014    Post subject: Stolen bike recovered, engine knocking noise + low oil level Reply with quote

So, my friends Zontes Panther 125 got stolen, it got recovered by the police (and he had to pay £170 to get it back!?).

We looked over the bike and the issues were: ignition barrel gone, key hole in petrol cap had been rammed through with a screw driver, throttle cable snapped (now replaced) and the engine was really low on oil (now topped up).

He started it when he got it back home by bodging some wires and using the kick start. It started after a few kicks (but bumps first time) and there was a knocking noise from the top end of the engine.
Checked the engine oil level, it was extremely low, the little 125 took 500ml of oil to get the oil level to minimum on the sight glass, I believe its oil capacity is around 1L. The bike was in the thieves hands for roughly 1 week. The bike had no running issues before it was stolen.

So, even with the engine topped up with oil it still makes this knocking noise, so assuming it's permanent damage is it time to replace the engine?

TL:DR We believe the bike was ragged around with low oil level (the oil level was fine before it was stolen but for some reason the bike's lost oil), knocking noise from the top end of the engine.
What could the damage be?

Last edited by Az on 19:03 - 14 Mar 2014; edited 1 time in total

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:44 - 14 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is chinese, therefore likely scrap now.

You could have disputed paying the money, but he has been analised already now... so forget that Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:55 - 14 Mar 2014    Post subject: Re: Stolen bike recovered, engine knocking noise + low oil l Reply with quote

Could well be big end bearings gone.

What were the charges to make up that £175? Sounds like they might have charged you for a car not a bike.

Az
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:02 - 14 Mar 2014    Post subject: Re: Stolen bike recovered, engine knocking noise + low oil l Reply with quote

G wrote:
Could well be big end bearings gone.

What were the charges to make up that £175? Sounds like they might have charged you for a car not a bike.

Apparently it was £150 to take the bike in and £20 for them to hold it there, they said to him that's what they charge. So it was in fact £170 not £175, my mistake.

How bad is it to ride if his big end bearings have gone?

Anyone wouldn't also happen to know how a bike can lose so much oil (it doesn't normally drink oil) in such a short period of time? It's like 500ml in 1 week (the miles done that week are unknown as the bike's speedo was broke).

Clutchy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:21 - 14 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh I'd ride it till it became a problem, not like the bike is worth much
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:07 - 14 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike, dunno.

The charge is bogus. They can charge the person who left the bike in the place from where it was recovered, i.e. the thief, not your chum.

If I think there's a real chance that he will invoice and sue the local Plod to recover the money that they have extorted from him, I'll take the time to cite the law. Surprise me.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:37 - 14 Mar 2014    Post subject: Re: Stolen bike recovered, engine knocking noise + low oil l Reply with quote

az- wrote:

How bad is it to ride if his big end bearings have gone?

Won't last long.

Maybe it was dropped so some oil came out, then running on low oil more burned off?

If it was held for two days, that's right as far as the charges goes it seems - £150 recovery and £10 per day for storage.

MattEMulsion
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:56 - 15 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've ragged it and knackered the engine. Tell him to put in an insurance claim and he'll be able to get all of his costs back too.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:03 - 15 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattEMulsion wrote:
They've ragged it and knackered the engine. Tell him to put in an insurance claim and he'll be able to get all of his costs back too.

If he's insured for theft. Minus the excess, which may well be what the bike is worth anyway.

Az
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:29 - 15 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was insured for third party only Rolling Eyes

MattEMulsion
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:46 - 15 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

az- wrote:

Well there you go then, maybe he should consider himself lucky that it was found at all and £170 was a small price to pay for getting his bike back.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:49 - 15 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

az- wrote:

Wise on a chinese bike, I'd say - pretty sure he'd be wortse off if he had theft insurance and claimed over not having it and not claiming.

Easter Bunny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:40 - 16 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell the fuckers you've already paid for the recovery in your council tax ffs I don't often say it but what is this country coming to when victims have to pay to retrieve their property??

Maybe they should use the proceeds of crime to pay for it Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by Easter Bunny on 03:53 - 16 Mar 2014; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Az
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:46 - 16 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easter Bunny wrote:
Tell the fuckers you've already paid for the recovery in your council ffs I don't often say it but what is this country coming to when victims have to pay to retrieve their property??

I thought it was pretty ridiculous to. Even worse, if he couldn't pay the money they warned him that after a month (I'm pretty sure he said he had a month) that they'd take the bike, resulting in it being crushed or sold at a police auction.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:10 - 16 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already told you that it's a bogus charge. He's not responsible for paying it. Just because everyone involved in the racket says it's so doesn't make it so.

Knowing full well that I'm wasting my time, I would draw your attention to Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 S102.

Recovery is from "any person responsible".

"person responsible", in relation to a vehicle, means—

(a) the owner of the vehicle at the time when it was put in the place from which it was removed as mentioned in subsection (1) above, unless he shows that he was not concerned in, and did not know of, its being put there;

(b) any person by whom the vehicle was put in that place;

Perhaps that's been amended. That would be a case for the person who blackmailed your chum to make.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:28 - 16 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easter Bunny wrote:
Tell the fuckers you've already paid for the recovery in your council tax ffs I don't often say it but what is this country coming to when victims have to pay to retrieve their property??

Having suffered this before I've thought about it, but I'm not sure there's a better solution?

If you want it to be paid out of the council tax you pay, what's to stop the mate of a recovery place repeatedly leaving his vehicle in the country side, reporting it stolen and having the recovery place charge the council £150 quid a time + storage fees?

craisin
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:02 - 16 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say the oil ran out cause they layed it down in a car.
my 2012 scooter got stolen 7000ks and its rooted cost me $200 to get it back
We put it in my mates car and hoped no oil would run out you can guess why it didnt

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:27 - 16 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

craisin wrote:
We put it in my mates car and hoped no oil would run out you can guess why it didnt

I can barely guess what you're saying.

Oil can get out through the filler, the crankcase breather, or by seeping past the cylinder rings.

The breather is the only likely route unless the rings are mangled or it's left on its side for more than the hours that I've had bikes lying down for. But unless you've got some weird breather offset on the side that it's lying on, I find it unlikely that you'd lose a significant amount of oil through it.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

craisin
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 02:02 - 17 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
craisin wrote:

I can barely guess what you're saying.

Oil can get out through the filler, the crankcase breather, or by seeping past the cylinder rings.

The breather is the only likely route unless the rings are mangled or it's left on its side for more than the hours that I've had bikes lying down for. But unless you've got some weird breather offset on the side that it's lying on, I find it unlikely that you'd lose a significant amount of oil through it.
the motors shagged anyway is it worth going on about it
only the theives know are you better informed than them?
I live in New Zealand and wonder if they have ignore list on here

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:26 - 17 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure he's trying to communicate, and it's almost as though I can understand him. Thinking
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 8 years, 226 days between these two posts...

JonnySumo
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:04 - 27 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old thread, but current problem! My son has just recovered his Maverick that had 600miles on but has been raced for 150 miles over 24 hours!

Got it back after a bit of a scuffle

On idol it sounds similar. But on revs it now sounds dull and muffled

Engine management light is not on, but when we got it back it was running very hot after a police chase!

He doesn’t want to claim on insurance so we are left with trying to fix ourselves but it starts and rides but now sounds very different

Aside from the obvious “it’s fooked” comments… anything constructive to do or check please?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:40 - 27 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonnySumo wrote:
anything constructive to do or check please?

Yeah don't resurrect old threads, and don't duplicate questions!!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 180 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1