Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda Chaly CF70 - restoration project.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

ChalyChap
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:28 - 30 Oct 2022    Post subject: Honda Chaly CF70 - restoration project. Reply with quote

The beginnings of a project.

I have an old Honda Chaly. It has been stored in a weathertight garage for the last 25 years.

When it last ran, it was in "runnable condition". I can't remember any mechanical issues.

I am therefore tempted to get it up and running again as a little project.

But, I did not want to do anything rash. For example, going straight in with an oil and fuel top up and trying to turn the engine over just for the sake of it and damaging it in the process.

Is there an existing post or guide as to the best process for restarting something that has been sat for such a long time.

Are all the dampers likely to be seized etc?

Appreciate any help.

Kind Regards

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:21 - 30 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think Binge did a CHALY resto thread on here, check the search function
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:09 - 30 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cub style forward sloping honda 4t single? It'll probably fire up first kick.

If it were me, I'd drop the oil, clean out the filters (both the gauze and the centrifugal unless you are sure when it was last done), fresh oil, drain the tank (flush it out if there's a lot of yak or stale petrol in it) and run fresh fuel through the carb, clean the points faces and give it a whirl.

I'd kick it over with the plug out a good few time first to get oil circulating (say give it 50 kicks). Maybe treat it to a new plug too.

Then give everything else a good once-over from end-to-end.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 30 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're worried it might be seized, turn the crank by hand with a socket wrench.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:30 - 31 Oct 2022    Post subject: T Reply with quote

All of the above BUT...

Valves ( piston rings, clutches ( two on these from memory, centrifugal ) and brakes etc. can and do stick )

Plug out and lube bore.

Remove valve caps ( check you can get new ones first ) and lube valves as best as possible.

Gain access to flywheel and turn engine over very slowly BY HAND and watch rocker arms and valve tops open and close properly.

If whilst turning the engine over by hand it seems to stop/lock, check for increasing/large gap between rocker arm and valve, a sign of a stuck valve. If you force it at that point ( hand grip on flywheel insufficient for further rotation and damage unless you have 4 wheatabix....) Due to valve inclination, the valves are at an angle, a vee shape/angle, further piston movement towards tdc, WILL BEND A VALVE, and/or break a valve guide.

A stuck valve open can wreck a viable engine in one stroke. You have been worn'd.

Once happy valves open and close properly you can proceed with trying to start the enginr

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:57 - 31 Oct 2022    Post subject: Re: T Reply with quote

bikenut wrote:
All of the above BUT...

Valves ( piston rings, clutches ( two on these from memory, centrifugal ) and brakes etc. can and do stick )

Plug out and lube bore.

Remove valve caps ( check you can get new ones first ) and lube valves as best as possible.

Gain access to flywheel and turn engine over very slowly BY HAND and watch rocker arms and valve tops open and close properly.

If whilst turning the engine over by hand it seems to stop/lock, check for increasing/large gap between rocker arm and valve, a sign of a stuck valve. If you force it at that point ( hand grip on flywheel insufficient for further rotation and damage unless you have 4 wheatabix....) Due to valve inclination, the valves are at an angle, a vee shape/angle, further piston movement towards tdc, WILL BEND A VALVE, and/or break a valve guide.

A stuck valve open can wreck a viable engine in one stroke. You have been worn'd.

Once happy valves open and close properly you can proceed with trying to start the enginr

There would be a valid argument for saying it's not a lot more work or expense to repair a little sloper honda that just tangled/seized the valves than to do all of the above.

So are you as betting man? With these engines, the short odds are that it'll just start and run like a sewing machine like the intervening 25 years never happened. Outside long-shot on it self-destructing.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:35 - 31 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Live stream it so we can all share the excitement.. Wink

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:58 - 31 Oct 2022    Post subject: Re: T Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
So are you as betting man? With these engines, the short odds are that it'll just start and run like a sewing machine like the intervening 25 years never happened. Outside long-shot on it self-destructing.

Those Honda 50cc motors were not particularly high-performance engines. A stuck valve would probably not even contact the piston. I'd follow Stinkwheel's procedure above; good idea to squirt a little oil into the combustion chamber before kicking it over.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:25 - 31 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y no pics?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:34 - 31 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add, the kicking over to get oil circulating is an important step with these motors because they have a hydraulic camchain tensioner which relies on oil feed pressure. You want it being fed with oil before any starting attempts. Happily they also have a pretty effective annular oil pump so they circulate oil quickly and at a good pressure.

ChalyChap
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:35 - 06 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies thus far.

Unfortunately this is a restoration in planning.

The first issue being that it is buried under stuff in the garage, hence no pictures. But at last check it was dry and safe. The fuel tank was dried out. Not sure if it had oil in it, I would assume yes, but it may be congealed by now.

I can't give an 100% honest appraisal as to the condition of it's bodywork.

But for reference, it looked exactly like this era of Chaly.

I actually even have the wire basket that that one is missing.

Although mine has the Tan seat cover.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:35 - 06 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Fzs wrote:
Think Binge did a CHALY resto thread on here, check the search function

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=307571

Unfortunately all the photos are dead.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:02 - 08 Nov 2022    Post subject: T Reply with quote

In my opinion it is always best to assume stuff like valves etc. will be stuck, so a very cautious approach to being in a position to start the engine is needed.

If you don't check that stuff like valves being stuck, you run the real risk of turning a viable engine into scrap in one stroke !

Yes, get an other engine etc off eBay, but what happens when none are available ?

An expensive mistake cos you didn't take 10 minutes to actually check !

However it's your bike, your money and possibly your mistake.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 170 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1