Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Thinning lubricant

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:20 - 07 Nov 2022    Post subject: Thinning lubricant Reply with quote

This is a more general question rather than bike specific, although I guess it would apply to plain chains (the purpose I want it for is actually a bicycle chain).

Gear oil seems to work pretty well as a chain lubricant on my C90 but on a bicycle chain I get the impression it struggles to reach all the nooks and crannies effectively because of the viscosity. I like the idea of how aerosol chain lubes work for motorcycles with the propellant making it less viscous and allowing the oil to penetrate then the volatile components evaporate. What would be a suitable thinning agent to mix with gear oil for this purpose? White spirit maybe? To reiterate, this is for plain chains so no need to worry about rubber, seals etc.. - it's just metal it'll be in contact with.

I suppose the alternative would be a hot (maybe 70 deg or something) chain as presumably the oil would thin down a lot, but getting the chain hot in-situ would probably be a faff.

Cheers. Thumbs Up

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:28 - 07 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine oil as is. No mix
But gear oil will creep into any gaps in minutes.
Engine oil is less messy as there's always 'fling' to consider.

Thinning oil would probably damage it too or compromise lubrication properties.

Halfords sell wee bottles of bicycle chain lubes. Not too spensive. And are available from eBay places too I imagine.
I use the PTFE lube. Less mess and stays in place longer.

Same regime as motorbike chain.
Clean, dry and lube.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:37 - 07 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might give engine oil a go. I've used chainsaw oil in the past as that's pretty inexpensive and works. This is going on my commuting bike which does about 100 miles a week irrespective of weather, so I'm lubing the chain at least once a week, more frequently when the weather is bad. I have a hang-up with bike-specific lubes as they seem overpriced for what they are.

I was wondering about if the oil would be broken down or not if it was thinned.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:14 - 07 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chainsaw oil works but it has additives to make it sticky. Fine if it is continuously fed onto a chain. The excess falls off and takes any shit with it.
On motor bikes and probably push bikes it gums up in crevases. (Behind the front sprocket of motorbikes, around the derailer and bottom bracket on push bikes. All the stuff that is thrown off is among that gloop.

Dirt Bikers like chainsaw oil as dirt bike chain oil is sticky AF.

£200+ will get you an electronic Scottoiler.
Then the chain is continuously oiled.

Scottoiler rely on replenishment to keep chains clean.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:47 - 07 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. If you have deralieur gears, chainsaw oil is probably going to make a claggy mess of it in pretty short order where something thinner will at least start to flush out any road crap.

Remember it's also in contact with plastic because that's what your tension wheels are made of, and there are usually plastic spacers in the cassette.

I haven't tried it on a bicycle chain but ATF seems to be a stalwart of the "Pick a lubricant for use somewhere other than where it was designed to be.". It would probably do a decent job of thinning thicker oils too, but wouldn't evaporate.

The heat idea has merit. Why not heat the oil instead of the chain?

If you have a hub gear/single speed chain, you can still get the boil in the can linklife type stuff which lasts for ages once applied.

Thinner oil in a loobman chain oiler? Super basic oiler designed for motorbikes. You basically squeeze a bottle/push a button (dependant on version) just before you set off. It trickles 2-3ml of oil down a delivery hose every time you do this.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:56 - 07 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bicycle in question is a singlespeed so no tension wheels or chain contortions; I agree, if it had a derailleur I'd not consider anything gloopy because as you say, the tight corners around the jockey wheels would causes muchos flinging right where you don't want it.

If the chain was cold I'd imagine it'd pretty much instantly cool the oil on contact unless there was loads of it (and I generally favour just a few drops on each link joint), whenas if the chain itself was hot then it'd probably keep the oil warm and fluid. I have in the past immersed the chain in engine oil but it's faffy to remove the chain regularly for this purpose and I'm all for simplicity.

I've got loads of random engine oils knocking about in quantities too small to be useful so I might employ some of those and see how I get on.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:11 - 07 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mate who does tens of thousands of miles a year on a pushbike swears by the boil in the tin stuff. Putoline chain wax seems to be the current incarnation.

You effectively heat up the tin of wax on a stove top with the chain in it then pull the chain out while it's liquid and set it aside to set. Penetrates everywhere then seals up the gaps. Any muck tends to fall out of the chain and sink to the bottom of the can which can be reused many times. It lands up with the chain kind of dry so much tends not to stick to it.

He's running it on a bike with a Rohloff hub that cost more than my motorbike.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:13 - 07 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a decent bicycle wet chain lube rather than whatever miscellaneous oils you've got kicking around.

Clean the chain before adding more lube.

After applying the lube make sure you wipe all of the excess off.

ThunderGuts wrote:
This is going on my commuting bike which does about 100 miles a week irrespective of weather, so I'm lubing the chain at least once a week, more frequently when the weather is bad. I have a hang-up with bike-specific lubes as they seem overpriced for what they are.

You're doing 20 miles a day and when the weather is bad the chain needs lubing multiple times a week? Shocked Laughing That's not right. You shouldn't be needing to do that, even more so considering you're running single speed.

Get a bottle of this stuff so you can properly lubricate your chain and stop wasting your time doing a bodge job of lubing it with random oils that are inferior.

https://media.chainreactioncycles.com/is/image/ChainReactionCycles/prod1041_NC_NE_01?wid=728&hei=498

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:00 - 07 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Use a decent bicycle wet chain lube rather than whatever miscellaneous oils you've got kicking around.

Clean the chain before adding more lube.

After applying the lube make sure you wipe all of the excess off.

ThunderGuts wrote:
This is going on my commuting bike which does about 100 miles a week irrespective of weather, so I'm lubing the chain at least once a week, more frequently when the weather is bad. I have a hang-up with bike-specific lubes as they seem overpriced for what they are.

You're doing 20 miles a day and when the weather is bad the chain needs lubing multiple times a week? Shocked Laughing That's not right. You shouldn't be needing to do that, even more so considering you're running single speed.

Get a bottle of this stuff so you can properly lubricate your chain and stop wasting your time doing a bodge job of lubing it with random oils that are inferior.

https://media.chainreactioncycles.com/is/image/ChainReactionCycles/prod1041_NC_NE_01?wid=728&hei=498

That's actually the stuff I've tried in the past (several bottles of it in fact) and the chain lasts no longer (very anecdotal but I ride enough miles to test out these things and I didn't get any more chain life out of expensive bike lubes vs chainsaw oil, in fact I seemed to get slightly better chain life with chainsaw oil!). The lube is necessary because the chain gets splashed a lot by water commuting (even with mudguards) and even dedicated wet lubes can only take so much of a pounding.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 07 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
My mate who does tens of thousands of miles a year on a pushbike swears by the boil in the tin stuff. Putoline chain wax seems to be the current incarnation.

You effectively heat up the tin of wax on a stove top with the chain in it then pull the chain out while it's liquid and set it aside to set. Penetrates everywhere then seals up the gaps. Any muck tends to fall out of the chain and sink to the bottom of the can which can be reused many times. It lands up with the chain kind of dry so much tends not to stick to it.

A Rohloff would be a lottery-win purchase for my touring bike. I thought a SON dynamo hub was expensive, but Rohloffs are in a different league. One day . . .

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:56 - 07 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Back in the day...https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=10850.0;attach=32870;image

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:01 - 07 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

An auld wife's trick was to boil the chain in an old pot with a candle, hoi the chain out the pot, the heat held in the chain allowed the excess candle to drain off. And hey Prescot, a lubed and waterproof chain.
The issue is getting a pot big enough to get the bike in.
Or alternatively, you have to split the chain. Very Happy

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:12 - 07 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many miles are you getting from a chain?

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:17 - 07 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
How many miles are you getting from a chain?

To 1% stretch about 1700 miles. The chainring is due to be replaced (along with the sprocket) when this chain bites the dust though as the last chain that went on was as noisy as fook for the first 100 miles.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:17 - 07 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

The issue is getting a pot big enough to get the bike in.

This is what we always did when it were all fields round here

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.alanbrand.com%2Fwordpress%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F08%2Fbike-bath.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=2337c7917ddb327fc6713a0cc3a78b800e1bd1f10682dbf0fe414fba2dd98083&ipo=images

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:18 - 07 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

Oh yes indeed - I recognise that tin! My mum used to really love chain-lubing day Laughing

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:30 - 07 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diesel works as a thinner!

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:31 - 07 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
A100man wrote:

Oh yes indeed - I recognise that tin! My mum used to really love chain-lubing day Laughing

I remember this stuff. Made by engineers! However……cautioned required as on Mums stove it caught light, holy shit I was in deep.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:53 - 08 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about 3-in-1 oil with a
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_ssn=bargain_bicycle_bits&store_name=rugeleybicyclerepairs&_oac=1&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:58 - 08 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grubscrew wrote:

Diesel, if it leaks into diesel engine lubrication systems, fucks big end and main bearings, coz it breaks down the oil lubricating properties.
Shocked

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:10 - 08 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Grubscrew wrote:

Diesel, if it leaks into diesel engine lubrication systems, fucks big end and main bearings, coz it breaks down the oil lubricating properties.
Shocked

Another reason DPFs can go fvck themselves.

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:52 - 09 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Grubscrew wrote:

Shocked

he wanted for his chain, not to put in his engine!

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:15 - 09 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to clean my chain with diesel - until it made the spokes on my w650 pit and start to go rusty

it was an interesting moment because, of course, i had the spokes on the front wheel as a "control group" - what was going on with the back spokes that wasn't happening to the front? Answer: EP90 gear oil and clean w/ diesel once a fortnight or so. Well, it couldn't be the gear oil, I reckoned. But now then - the diesel. Hmmm yeah diseasel....they'll have put detergent in it or summert. That's what it seemed like anyway.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:00 - 09 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already spent too many hours of my life reading, watching, and ultimately thinking, about bloody chain lube.

Everything that doesn't have a scottoiler, motorbikes and bicycles, now gets EP90 Gear Oil. Or if that's not available anything vaguely lube-like, 3-in-1, engine oil, whatever stuff my mate is using in a spray can. I've stopped caring. My 750's chain must have done 30k by now, intermittently lubed with whatever and it's still ok. I've never cleaned it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 162 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1