Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

BMW K100 Tires q&a

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

andreitc
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:38 - 25 Aug 2022    Post subject: BMW K100 Tires q&a Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I own a BMW K100 which is deeply in need of a new set of tires, both front and rear.
The thing is that the motorcycle is in the process of transformation into a cafe racer / scrambler, I shall see what i came up with

And I come upon these tires that I've seen are very recommended everywhere, Continental TKC 70. I've seen they are very good on road (because I don't intend to use them for offroad / mud) and also they look very well for a cafe racer and they are not so extreme as TKC 80.

The problem is that for this motorcycle, the recommended tires dimensions are 100/90/R18 (front) and 130/90/R17 (rear) and sadly, TKC 70 are not made in this exact dimensions.

The closest dimensions they offer are: 110/80/R18 (front) and 130/80/R17 (rear). I was thinking and found that the height difference of 10% would not be such a big problem. However, I don't know what would be the difference and if it is going to be a big one regarding the width of the front tire (10 mm bigger from the standard)

The question is, what do you think? I presume there won't be any incompatibilities with the rims - I think they also support 110) - the rims are stock btw
So.. What would be the difference between the 100 and the 110 width on the front tire? Would you recommend me getting this set of tires, or look for something else? If so, what else could you recommend?

Thanks a lot!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 08:37 - 26 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you trying to ruin a perfectly servicable bike?

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:40 - 26 Aug 2022    Post subject: Re: BMW K100 Tires q&a Reply with quote

andreitc wrote:
Hi guys,

I own a BMW K100 ..

The thing is that the motorcycle is in the process of transformation into a cafe racer / scrambler,

The question is, what do you think?

Thanks a lot!

I think the K100 is a superb touring motorcycle totally unfit for conversion into any current trend bobber/cafe/scrambler et al.. anyone attempting to do so will almost make the bike worse performing and less practical in every way and ultimately lower it's value if not now then in a few years when this trend has burnt itself out..

Keep the bike as BMW intended and if you're that desperate to be on trend - get a tattoo.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:49 - 26 Aug 2022    Post subject: Re: BMW K100 Tires q&a Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

Keep the bike as BMW intended and if you're that desperate to be on trend - get a tattoo.

What A100man said. Plus a big old bushy beard and a man bun.

andreitc
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:16 - 26 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, don't get me wrong please, I don't want a lot of changes for this bike. I just want firstly to make it more reliable, because it is not in a wonderful state right now, and the tires need a change asap.
And because those tires look good and perform good on the street, I thought they were a good fit.

Besides those, I just want to remove the plastics, have a remade seat (because the one it currently has is ripped off and in a bad condition) and maybe new handlebars, but not for the moment (I am a begginer in motorcycling and the current handlebars will help me because they are very wide). And also, before all of these, for example, also the brake rotors needs a change (I don't think they were ever changed) and they are like $300 each, so..

That's basically what I want, so I'm not sure why you say it will perform worse on the road than it currently does.

Quote:

I am not desperate to be on trend, i don't care about any trends. I just think that in my opinion this k100 cafe racer / scrambler is one of the best looking motorcycles ever.

I just want opinions on those tires, if you think they are good or bad, if you used them and so on, and what would be the difference if the front tire width is increased with 10mm.

Thanks[/quote]

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:26 - 26 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've stated you do not intend to go off road yet want on/off road tyres?
That is Form over Function mate
Slippery slope that , very slippery
Do you intend to 'live fast die young and leave a good looking corpse' perhaps?
(You do know those tyres were made by Satan right?)
You wanna break your mommas back when she has to lift you out of bed to clean your spazzed ass every day just cos
you had to have them fancy tyres?

You hate your mother that much ?

you people......

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:05 - 26 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

andreitc wrote:
Hi, don't get me wrong please, I don't want a lot of changes for this bike. I just want firstly to make it more reliable,

Thanks

Mate - none of what you have listed will make the bike more reliable. Take some time to service the motor and drive train, check the brakes wheel bearinsg etc.. all you've mentioned so far is 'cosmetics'.

We get you're new to motorcycling so heed the advice from those that aren't - put standard tyres that will enable yuo to fo round corners and FFS don't make your new seat cover brown!

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:08 - 26 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're a self confessed newbie so some advice.
We know you want to tinker, we all love to tinker
its part of the fun of biking
But
Build a good bike first, make it look pretty later.
After any changes, the bike must be (Function) as good as or better than before

It sounds as if the the bike needs some servicing and TLC
which as it has to be 20+ years old is understandable
and you're fixating on the appearance (Form) of the tyres.

I had the K100 RS and RT versions and hated the narrow RS bars and silly/flimsy little flip up screen so when the RT got too old and needy,
I robbed the bars, cables and screen off it and made the RS an even better, more comfy tourer.
The higher wider bars gave me so much more control at low speeds and I started to enjoy riding it around the busy, potholed, city streets.

Yep the brake discs (rotors) are horribly expensive, you may find after market alternatives cheaper
If I got another K100 dropped on me, I'd have a big list of things to check
are OK before worrying about the looks of a tyre.

Last edited by WD Forte on 13:11 - 26 Aug 2022; edited 1 time in total

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:09 - 26 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

See this bloke George de Angelis?

https://greasengasoline.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/d95e1063-638f-4830-bb26-eae9211908e9.jpg?w=670

..he's a prick.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:11 - 26 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
You're a self confessed newbie so some advice.
We know you want to tinker, we all love to tinker
its part of the fun of biking
But
Build a good bike first, make it look pretty later.
After any changes, the bike must be (Function) as good as or better than before

It sounds as if the the bike needs some servicing and TLC
which as it has to be 20+ years old is understandable
and you're fixating on the appearance (Form) of the tyres.

I had the K100 RS and RT versions and hated the narrow RS bars and silly/flimsy little flip up screen so when the RT got too old and needy,I robbed the bars, cables and screen off it and made the RS an even better, more comfy tourer.
The higher wider bars gave me so much more control at low speeds and I started to enjoy riding it around the busy, potholed, city streets.

Yep the brake discs (rotors) are horribly expensive, you may find after market alternatives cheaper
If I got another K100 dropped on me, I'd have a big list of things to check
are OK before worrying about the looks of a tyre.

I luv you Embarassed

andreitc
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:17 - 26 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the 20-30 rows of comment just to tell me that those tires are made by 'Satan'.

Any recommended alternatives for tires for this bike, since you are saying those are bad, despite the fact that I watched almost every review I could find of them and everyone is saying that they are better on the road then a lot of alternatives which don't look like "make by Satan'? I'm insisting on this because I can't get on this bike with the actual tires, it's the first thing I have to change. I will leave the rest of changes I want to make in my own mind, because I am seeing you guys are making nasty assumptions based on a picture...

I just want your (if you have one) professional opinion.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:55 - 26 Aug 2022    Post subject: Re: BMW K100 Tires q&a Reply with quote

andreitc wrote:
Hi guys,

And I come upon these tires that I've seen are very recommended everywhere, Continental TKC 70. I've seen they are very good on road (because I don't intend to use them for offroad / mud) and also they look very well for a cafe racer .

The problem is that for this motorcycle, the recommended tires dimensions are 100/90/R18 (front) and 130/90/R17 (rear) and sadly, TKC 70 are not made in this exact dimensions.

The closest dimensions they offer are: 110/80/R18 (front) and 130/80/R17 (rear). I was thinking and found that the height difference of 10% would not be such a big problem. However, I don't know what would be the difference and if it is going to be a big one regarding the width of the front tire (10 mm bigger from the standard)

The question is, what do you think? I presume there won't be any incompatibilities with the rims - I think they also support 110) - the rims are stock btw
So.. What would be the difference between the 100 and the 110 width on the front tire? Would you recommend me getting this set of tires, or look for something else? If so, what else could you recommend?

Thanks a lot!

OK, right, here we go..

Point one you've seen (I guess you mean heard) - the TKC70 are a very good road tyre - BUT they are a dual-sport tyre and so will never, ever be as good as a dedicated road tyre for that reason.
You want 'the look' we get that but aren't going to tell you they are as good because they won't be - especially if you have to ride in the wet at any point.

Point two will a 110 width make a difference? - yes it will make steering slower and heavier but as novice will you be able to tell the difference - doubtful.

So you choice is not a disaster compared to some absurd knobbly tyres people have for the look but it is not optimum for that bike expecaily since your 'scrambler*' will not be used 'offroad/mud'.

*Scrambler is a 1960s word for an off-road bike now known as motor-cross

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:41 - 26 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

I luv you Embarassed

You do know I'm a scooty boi now?
that means you is like a right ghey boi innit?

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:50 - 26 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghey and prowd.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 10:17 - 03 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't the K75 and K100 have a specific rear tyre made for them by Metzler to cure the inherent stability issue they all had? i.e the terrible handling.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:22 - 03 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd imagine Avon Roadriders would work pretty well in those sizes, a good road tyre.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:58 - 03 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMW have a Massive Erection for Metzler on their machines.

I have Metzler on my S1000RR no issues. Tried Continental Not impressed.

R1200GS Metzlers 100% perfect on that bike. Conti Trail Attack lasted 3000 miles and were bald. Metzler on the same machines eaily got 7000+.

Always had Metzler on the K1300 but hard band ripped off three tyres near to 75% wear.

I fitted Michelin to the k1300. Far better tyres.

Grip and High Mileage do not like each other.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:02 - 03 Oct 2022    Post subject: Re: BMW K100 Tires q&a Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
A100man wrote:

What A100man said. Plus a big old bushy beard and a man bun.

That comment was possibly a little offensive.

I think men with Man Buns and Top Knots are quite attractive.

And I am a male who identifies as a heterosexual male.

Laughing Laughing

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:07 - 03 Oct 2022    Post subject: Re: BMW K100 Tires q&a Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

hardly surprising coming from someone whos national costume is a skirt Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:41 - 03 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, I don't know why everyone is so down on someone wanting to take an enormous, heavy, shaft-drive BMW with odd styling and fit knobbly tyres to it in a pretence of it having some offroad capability.

That makes up 90% of BMWs current sales.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:18 - 03 Oct 2022    Post subject: Re: BMW K100 Tires q&a Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
MCN wrote:

Very droll.

Ye'll no' be so cheery next time we invade your lands. Razz

We'll no' be content wi' just the wimin and the sheep this time.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:16 - 03 Oct 2022    Post subject: Re: BMW K100 Tires q&a Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

That comment was possibly a little offensive.

And I am a male who identifies as a heterosexual male.

Laughing Laughing

Identifies eh? Does that mean the real you is something other than that... Razz Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:50 - 03 Oct 2022    Post subject: Re: BMW K100 Tires q&a Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

Identifies eh? Does that mean the real you is something other than that... Razz Laughing

Yeah, he's a shitpost 'bot that identifies as a human. MCN is its second iteration. Laughing

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:57 - 04 Oct 2022    Post subject: Re: BMW K100 Tires q&a Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Gotta have something to hold on to....

to v or not to v wrote:

Gotta give em credit for being inventive though. Soon as they figured out the sheep were onto the sound of a zip being undone, they came up with a solution pretty quick.

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:11 - 11 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had good experiences with the Metzeler Lasertec tyres on the K series. They also look vaguely like knobblies if you want to follow the horrendous fashion for ruining bikes.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 164 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1