Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda Shadow C2 - Fork seals leaking

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Richde
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 07:45 - 10 Nov 2022    Post subject: Honda Shadow C2 - Fork seals leaking Reply with quote

Hello,
I need any info on what may cause front fork seals on my 2009 Honda Shadow C2 to leak. They have been replaced 3 times and our mechanic is stumped. He says the forks look fine and is about to put a forth set of seals in. I was hoping someone in this forum may be able to shed some light on the issue.
Thanks

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:33 - 10 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
If the bike does little they will fail often as the seals stick and tear after standing

If used Replace the bushes in the forks

If it still fails the tubes are worn whatever they look like! new tubes new bushes again and new seals!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:01 - 10 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inspect the fork legs for pitting, if they are pitted, they can damage the new seals.

As above, worn bushings can cause seals to fail quickly.

So if it was me, I'd replace the seals and the bushings.

I have also had limited success with aftermarket seals and bushings. I reckon about 1 in 3 aftermarket seals I have fitted fails quite quickly. Aftermarket bushings can also be a very poor fit and require filing/fettling to set the correct end-gap. As such, I would recommend using genuine honda parts, which usually aren't as expensive as you'd imagine.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:51 - 10 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suspect the bushings. I would always replace bushings with fork seals, because I've had the same problem before. It's a hassle taking them all apart again.

Also, as mentioned above, aftermarket ones are a waste. Fork seals from Honda are what you want. Those cheap aftermarket ones on Ebay seem very hard compared with genuine parts. I don't like the fact your mechanic was stumped. Surely he must have had some ideas? If not, then how do you even know he knows how to fit them correctly.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:59 - 10 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if this is the third set of seals, the bushings have now been in and out three times so if they weren't knackered before, they probably are now.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:45 - 11 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local mechanic said he’d had success with K-Tech seals where other brands had failed, and he reckoned they were “extra tight.” I’d already had my stanchions rechromed due to pitting. Apparently it’s not unusual that they develop a slight curve which won’t help, but which the rechromers can address too. The bike still wrecked a few sets of OE and Pyramid Parts in quick time, some fitted by me, some by the mechanic. Finally he reckoned the new chrome was a fraction too thick at the bottom bushing and had them machined. I think that’s what fixed the problem but I thought the comment about K-Tech was interesting.* If the forks pitted again I think I’d just go for replacements from Wemoto.

* Edit: oh wait, according to K-Tech’s website,

Quote:
K-Tech front fork oil seals are manufactured by NOK and are a direct replacement for the original equipment parts. NOK are chosen as original equipment by all Japanese suspension manufacturers for their quality and durability.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 138 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1