Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Ben Nevis & Steall Waterfall hike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:28 - 06 Sep 2022    Post subject: Ben Nevis & Steall Waterfall hike Reply with quote

Took my yearly bike ride trip to the Scottish Highlands and decided to make a video/pic slide show of going up Ben Nevis and also hiking to Steall waterfall, both great places to visit if your in the highlands.

Scenery here is amazing and the air is so much cleaner to breath than in London, reminded me I need to hurry up and buy my flat, rent it out move up to the highlands and work from home instead of doing yearly trips!

Car park at Ben Nevis visitor centre costs £8 for the day which is steep but its probably the only car park charge I dont mind paying as it goes to supporting the place (might even actually be free for motorbikes but meh I still paid)

Next year the plan is to do the west highland way which is a 100 mile hike from Glasgow to Fort William that I am proper looking forward to and will give it 2 weeks to do even though it can be done in 4 days but I would rather take my jolly time and take everything in slowly.
Theres no need for me rush on this, not looking forward to camping but its all part of it.

Rode up to Scotland from London on my Honda Grom again all 125cc of it doing 60 mph on the M1, M6, M74, A82 lol!
13 hours of riding in one day listening to music
Did a couple of rides around but mostly hiked alot
All in I hiked 190 miles and 429,168 steps

Heres Ben Nevis hike up and down: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBgE29-ly4w

Heres the hike to Steall waterfall: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw7allJfN1o

Paid a visit to a bothy called Luib Chonnal bothy which is a 10 mile round trip hike from the end of the public road.
Heres the view out the front door of the bothy: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/cXZYhzSWi_E

Google location: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Luib+Chonnal/@57.0121634,-4.6810321,13.25z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x488f2f51b33a3045:0x7994dc68d1a39417!8m2!3d57.0058664!4d-4.6455646
The location of this bothy is stunning imagining living here is pure bliss, no noise, no large crowds of people just nature.
If your ever near Roy Bridge I deffo recommend visiting this spot with the waterfall also in the back ground.

In case anyones wondering what a bothy looks like here it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaQb9ogi0_0

Last edited by woo on 14:57 - 04 Feb 2024; edited 5 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:09 - 06 Sep 2022    Post subject: Re: Ben Nevis & Steall Waterfall hike Reply with quote

woo wrote:
the air is so much cleaner to breath than in London

The air in a coal mine is cleaner than in London Laughing

Quote:
Next year the plan is to do the west highland way which is a 100 mile hike from Glasgow to Fort William that I am proper looking forward to and will give it 2 weeks to do even though it can be done in 4 days but I would rather take my jolly time and take everything in slowly.
Theres no need for me rush on this, not looking forward to camping but its all part of it.

Don't forget your midgie defences!
2 weeks is excessive. Believe me, you'll do it a lot quicker than that, even if you're dawdling.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:16 - 06 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can recommend a night, preferably Saturday, at The Drovers Inn at Loch Lomond. I keep going back there for the Saturday night with the live music. Really hearty establishment dating back 300 years or so. And it's haunted!

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:24 - 07 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have passed the Drovers Inn many many times over the years, I will pop in next year as per your recommendation.

Midges are a pain and I sweat a lot so I get the bigger flies coming to me to drink eat my sweat they piss me off just as much as midges

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:44 - 07 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic trip - I have a massive hankering to do such things on my C90, although I don't particularly like the idea of the motorways on that and not sure how sympathetic full throttle and max revs for hours on end are to the aging engine!

Did you get as far as the CIC hut? It's a stunning place to be looking up at the big face of the Ben, with Tower Ridge etc.. rising above you. Makes you appreciate how ballsy those early Victorian climbing pioneers were climbing such things in tweed jackets and hobnail boots.

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:06 - 07 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda C90 is probably the most robust reliable bike ever after seeing what Ed did with his here, this dudes practically been around the world on it in every weather condition: https://www.youtube.com/c/c90adventures/videos
on one of Ed's trips he ran out of oil and did i think over 400 miles with no oil Shocked
he did change the piston after, its amazing how cheap parts are for the honda C90

I didnt go to the CIC hut but I am curious to visit it maybe next year

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:44 - 06 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo wrote:
I have passed the Drovers Inn many many times over the years, I will pop in next year as per your recommendation.

Midges are a pain and I sweat a lot so I get the bigger flies coming to me to drink eat my sweat they piss me off just as much as midges

Scottish midges ( Culicoides ), as like other midges, need blood to help make their wee eggs. (Females look for blood, males in general, look for nectar.)

They are attracted to the co2 in mammalian breath (generally).
And possibly other 'feremones' emmited by the host animal.

Some people are bitten more than others.
Some people have varied reaction to the bites.

The are not drinking sweat. Sweating probably means more respiratory action creating more co2 as an attracting.

Jungle Formula 100% keeps the wee bastirts away from anyone using it.

And nets and clothes work too.

They are a vital organism for the ecosystem by providing fodder for other animals.

(And the should be one of the Scot's National Beasties being capable of sending Sassanachs back home earlier than planned. Very Happy )

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:40 - 07 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avon Skin-so-soft used to be effective (not tried it myself, but I've heard good reports) - I get the impression it's less of a repellent and more that it just makes it less pleasant for the critters.

I avoid going to Scotland in the summer - easiest way to avoid the midges. That said, midges have been knocked off top spot now by horseflies which until the last few years I've never really noticed, but now seem to get plagued with them in the Lakes (again, summertime only though).

Rumours are Marmite and garlic consumption helps to keep midges away on the basis it changes your skin's scent . . . unsure if true or not, but I'm happy to continue to use it as an excuse to consume excessive amounts of both.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:21 - 07 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Avon Skin-so-soft used to be effective (not tried it myself, but I've heard good reports) - I get the impression it's less of a repellent and more that it just makes it less pleasant for the critters.

I avoid going to Scotland in the summer - easiest way to avoid the midges. That said, midges have been knocked off top spot now by horseflies which until the last few years I've never really noticed, but now seem to get plagued with them in the Lakes (again, summertime only though).

Rumours are Marmite and garlic consumption helps to keep midges away on the basis it changes your skin's scent . . . unsure if true or not, but I'm happy to continue to use it as an excuse to consume excessive amounts of both.

I tried Skin So Soft.

SHITE.

Anopheles mosquito and Scottish Midgies laff in its face.

I tried the citronella based ones too.

Kazakhstan have these One Inch Drive Bastirt mosquitoes that bite and leave an itchy-bastirt lump the size of a hazelnut.

Jungle Formula.
It's been keeping the wee bastirts away for years.

It originally had a disgusting smell but the more modern versions are much less offensive.
If repellent smells bad then the habit of using it is discouraged.

In malaria trodden regions it's important to have it on you before being bitten.
One bite could be deadly, of give you a week on your back wishing you were dead.

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:03 - 13 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avon skin so soft is 100% on my list!
Soo looking forward to doing this in 2023 and then doing it in reverse at some point in the future!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 136 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1