BMW R1150R Long-term Review

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:54 - 14 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

blurredman wrote:
Don't bottle lid foils typically have a plastic lining to them too these days? Unless it may have burned away??

I seriously doubt that the debris is that. Hell, I wipe down the funnel every-fucking-time before filling. Shit happens, though, so I cannot rule that out with 100% certainty. Lid foil plastic might melt into the oil. Oil temperature on a water-cooled diesel runs normally at around 125C. Would not be surprised to see the oil on my air-cooled SI boxer to reach 150C or higher.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:25 - 15 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 231 days between these two posts...

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:13 - 05 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

04 July 2023, 51,425 miles.
One day during the summer of Covid (2020), I started my bike after a storage period of around 6 months. Fired right up. Everything was looking good until I noticed a puddle of gasoline pooling around the center stand. Egad! I shut the bike off and cleaned up the mess. Subsequent inspection did not reveal source of the puddle, so I laid out some rags and started the engine to ascertain the source of the leak. To my amazement, the problem magically appeared to correct itself... no leak to be found. I cautiously put the bike into service, checking frequently for signs of leakage. Eventually I forgot about it. I've put 21,000 miles on the bike since then without recurrence.

Yesterday, after an 11-week idle period, it happened again. This time I was able to determine that fuel was running down the left side of the engine case, just behind the cylinder. Fuel appeared to be dribbling from a location somewhere behind the alternator. As before, I cleaned up the puddle and when I started the bike a second time, no leak, none, just like it never happened.

A quick check of my Clymer manual suggests the source could be the pressure regulator/fuel distributor. Naturally, this assembly is buried in a location with difficult, time-consuming access. I surmised the problem could be related to one or both O-rings that seal the pressure regulator to the fuel distributor. I think it is significant that both times this happened after a storage period, and that both times the issue self-corrected after initial engine start. Whatever the cause, it’s important that it be found and corrected before it fails while underway and turns me into a flying fireball!

Today, I removed the tank in an effort to ascertain the source of the leak. Once I got the tank off, it was apparent that the fuel pressure regulator and distributor are located some distance from where I observed the dribble. It seems like fuel was leaking down the front of the ABS module and dribbling onto the engine case just behind the alternator.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53023924903_da1f4cbf43.jpg

I inspected the suspected leak path very carefully but could not find evidence of fuel flowing. Stains around the fuel pump/filter base suggested something might be leaking from there, but nothing definitive that made me confident that the pump base was the source of the leak.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53023924918_67408558b0.jpg

Upon reassembly, I decided to start the engine before bolting the tank back on. No leak dribbling down onto the engine case. But inspection of the pump base revealed a wet fuel line. I tried to get a picture while it was still wet, but fumble fingers me could not manage to take a one-handed photo with my iphone while illuminating the problem with my flashlight.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53023608769_b2f28ceb19.jpg

Tomorrow, I'll visit the dealer for some new OE Oetiker hose clamps and some fuel line. Since I'll have the tank off, I might consider fuel filter and internal fuel line replacement as well.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:14 - 26 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the cause of the leak. Apparently cracks in the internal layer of the fuel line were allowing fuel to piss out between the fuel pump base nipple and hose clamp. My plan was to replace all of the 21 year old fuel lines, including the hoses inside the fuel tank, but I immediately reconsidered after learning how much it would cost. Fortunately, a mate advised me to get a quote before allowing the counterman to cut the line. $44 a foot! I'd be out over a hundred dollars to do the whole job with that stuff. Instead, I purchased some high pressure line intended for fuel injection systems that ran about $16 and replaced just the external lines. Job completed successfully, I have about 300 miles on the bike with the new fuel line.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53072009254_59cf053ce9_n.jpg

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:30 - 16 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

This entry will complete my long-term review of the BMW R1150R. Today I sold the motorcycle. This marks the first time since 1977 that I have not had a motorcycle in my garage. Technically I still have my YBR, but that is eight time zones away in North Africa; hardly available for a spontaneous afternoon ride through the countryside.

It took me 7 days to sell the BMW. Here is my advertisement.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53261650190_29ffc1d530_b.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53262024310_0fac6885a1_o.jpg

I posted on Craigslist at 06:20 Sunday morning, October 8. Within an hour I had 5 responses. Oddly, they appear to have been copied from the same source. All were very brief, and all ended with “> wrote”, two were identical word for word.

“I am interested in buying it. Where are you located? Can we meet tomorrow? I never check craigslist email, My email is <xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com> wrote:”

I was excited to get so many responses to my ad, and did not notice how oddly similar they all were until now. I replied with my cell number and instructions to call or text me. I did not receive any calls or texts that morning, but about noon a second wave of emails arrived:

“Thanks for returning my husband's message regarding your item. We are satisfied with the price & the condition listed on the CL, so kindly withdraw the advert and consider it sold. I would have come in person for it but can't due to my tight work Schedule and we are also busy because we are in the process of moving. My husband will proceed in issuing a Certified Cashier's Check Or USPS Money Order to you and when received and cleared your bank, We will make arrangements for the pick up. Additional $90 will be added with the original price for reservation till the check gets to you."

"I'll need the following information to overnight the Payment today.
Name to issue out the check to......
Mailing Address to overnight the check....
Final Asking price and the Cell # to contact you ...."

Oh no. This smells rotten. Four email responses within a 6-hour window, all nearly identical with similar excuses and requests for me to accept a certified check if I just send personal information. I replied as follows:

“Sorry. I will not sell you the motorcycle unless I can look you in the eye and check your driver license. I must be sure of your identity and that you are qualified to ride the bike before I will release possession of it. The bike will be sold for cash only; I will not take a check, personal, certified, or otherwise. Others have expressed interest in the bike. Good day.”

That paragraph effectively put an end to the monkey business. Out of eight replies, two were legitimate, one bought the bike.

At 70 years of age, the time has come to downsize a bit. The R1150R is a little too hefty for my liking. I want something lighter that I can throw about when I get to feeling frisky on a country road. I made a deposit on a new Triumph Speed 400, with a tentative delivery date of January 2024. When that time comes, I'd like to start another long term review, starting with mile 1.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:51 - 16 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
Technically I still have my YBR, but that is eight time zones away in North Africa

What's the story behind this one? Sounds interesting asf

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:56 - 16 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
jeffyjeff wrote:
Technically I still have my YBR, but that is eight time zones away in North Africa

What's the story behind this one? Sounds interesting asf

https://www.bikechatforums.com/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=108459 Cool

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:42 - 16 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be heading back to Morocco in a couple of weeks if they don't cancel the flights from France. Political tensions a little on the high side right now. Wife showed me several YouTube videos of demonstrations in the streets of Rabat, "Death to the Yankee pig dogs!" I've been within earshot of such demonstrations, but never actually participated in one, for obvious reasons. Sometimes best to keep the helmet on all the time. Cool

https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/riding-moroccan-backroads-on-a-yamaha-ybr-125.1378514/
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2