Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Road tax for electric vehicles.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:59 - 17 Nov 2022    Post subject: Road tax for electric vehicles. Reply with quote

Amongst other things in Mr. Hunts budget, electric vehicles will have to pay VED from April 2025. I presume this will include electric motorbikes although there are so few it's not going to plug many holes in the national budget.

So this will end the tenuous (bullshit) link between emissions and VED and obviously it means everyone will pay more. Another nail in the coffin of motorised personal transport maybe?

It was always going to happen. The government caln't afford to lose the huge financial pie that comes from fuel taxes. The only question now is what and when they are going to introduce some form of taxation on home charging or mileage use.

There's only two constants in the world, death and taxes. Rolling Eyes

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63660321

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:11 - 17 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be 2 taxes relating to motor vehicles.

1. Fuel duty - This accounts for gas guzzlers/emissions etc.

2. Vehicle weight - This accounts for oversized vehicles that do actual damage to the roads and cause the most particulate pollution with tyre and brake dust particles.

I am yet to hear a logical opposition to these points.

EV owners won't be hit by the first one but they will (rightly so) need to pay the second.

It will encourage people to purchase and use smaller more efficient transport.

Lorries will need to pay more to repair the roads they destroy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:23 - 17 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its no coincidence that a vehicles excise duty is calculated on what they can charge for the most dependent on
class of vehicle. My car, it's emissions, my bikes, it's CC, My van it's a flat rate, wouldn't matter if I had a 3.0
Sprinter LWB or the 1.8 Transit connect I actually have. With lorries it's axle weight, with buses, it's number of seats.

This has FVCK all to do with emissions.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/907390/v149x1-rates-of-vehicle-tax.pdf

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1062988/v149-rates-of-vehicle-tax-from-1-april-2022-for-cars-motorcycles-light-goods-vehicles-and-private-light-goods-vehicles.pdf

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:36 - 17 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The future is to go backwards, and buy vehicles that are classed as 'historic'.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:41 - 17 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

blurredman wrote:
The future is to go backwards, and buy vehicles that are classed as 'historic'.

Old Landrovers are already silly money Laughing

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:48 - 17 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:
There should be 2 taxes relating to motor vehicles.

1. Fuel duty - This accounts for gas guzzlers/emissions etc.

2. Vehicle weight - This accounts for oversized vehicles that do actual damage to the roads and cause the most particulate pollution with tyre and brake dust particles.

I am yet to hear a logical opposition to these points.

EV owners won't be hit by the first one but they will (rightly so) need to pay the second.

It will encourage people to purchase and use smaller more efficient transport.

Lorries will need to pay more to repair the roads they destroy.

Spookily enough, it's not specifically the weight of a vehicle that injures the road.
It's the number of axles/wheels.
Single axles hit a bump, lift and then drop with their effective weight increase due to accelerated force of gravity.
Put another axle behind the first and the effect is exponentially increased.

I watch OU on t' telly. Cool

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:14 - 17 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

No mention of back-dating any of this stuff i.e. does one still get the VED rate at time of purchase? Don't seem to have a reason to junk my old zero road tax diesel Skoda Thinking

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:35 - 17 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should put the road tax on tyres.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:00 - 17 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
They should put the road tax on tyres.

People will put smaller tyres on their cars...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:10 - 17 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

More likely they will put on harder wearing tyre which last longer with the commensurate reduction in grip reducing road safety.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:22 - 17 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
More likely they will put on harder wearing tyre which last longer with the commensurate reduction in grip reducing road safety.

You've got to do something stupid to slide a modern car with ABS, traction control and even cheap tyres nowadays. I can't see that making much difference.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:27 - 17 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

12p/litre on fuel from March, he didn't mention that while speaking it must have slipped his mind
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 09:24 - 18 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

You've got to do something stupid to slide a modern car with ABS, traction control and even cheap tyres nowadays. I can't see that making much difference.

ABS doesn't magically increase grip, it reduces braking effort to prevent slides. End result, it takes longer to stop with a less grippy tyre. Thus still reduces road safety.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:43 - 18 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There's only two constants in the world, death and taxes.

I disagree. There's also Paddy McGuinness.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:40 - 18 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Quote:
There's only two constants in the world, death and taxes.

I disagree. There's also Paddy McGuinness.

I feel like killing myself when I watch him in anything though...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 152 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1