Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bosnia: insurance, anybody?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:29 - 24 Oct 2022    Post subject: Bosnia: insurance, anybody? Reply with quote

Am looking at touring the Balkans next year; riding out through the Alps then a round trip of Croatia, Slovenia and Bosnia down as far as Dubrovnik. However, as Bosnia is not in the EU that causes issues with insurance as it seems that no UK insurers that I can find cover riding there; the usual solution seems to be that you have to buy a cheap third-party-only policy at the border. Less than ideal if you have an off, or your bike gets nicked...

Does anyone here have any experience they can share? Or know of a company offering fully comp insurance in Bosnia?

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:06 - 20 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me and the missus were in Bosnia, Montenegro, Serbia, Croatia, Turkey and Slovenia in 2012. As far as I remember they were all covered by Carole Nash. Things could obviously have changed since then. The only place I remember significant border checks was from Bulgaria crossing into Turkey where we got stung for visas. I wouldn't imagine Brexit has made anything easier, far more likely it's put more obstacles in place Rolling Eyes

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:23 - 20 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

After doing quite a bit of looking on Google when you first posted this thread and again now that Enduro Numpty has replied, I think The AA is a likely candidate.

For their car insurance they say "As an AA car insurance policyholder, you can drive anywhere in the EU, and in several other European countries, and get the same level of cover you have in the UK for up to 90 days during the 12 months of your policy."

Which sounds like a good start apart from it being for cars rather than bikes therefore lets have a look at their motorcycle policy documents.

"If you are travelling in any EU country or any country that has satisfied the requirements of the Commission of the European Community, we will apply the minimum insurance cover applicable to the country you are travelling in or through.
All countries as displayed on your certificate of motor insurance have agreed that a green card is not necessary for cross border travel. Your certificate of motor insurance should therefore provide sufficient evidence that you are complying with the laws on the compulsory insurance of motorcycles in any of these countries that you visit.
We will cover you for 30 days per trip up to a maximum of 90 days in any one period of insurance. The cover we will provide will match the cover on your schedule. There is no cover for any country that is not displayed on your certificate of motor insurance.
" (that's on page 12)

And their document called "More information about this insurance product" says this "The cover you selected applies whilst riding your motorcycle in Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man
The cover you selected also applies in any EU country or country displayed on your certificate of motor insurance limited to 30 days per trip and 90 days in any one period of insurance"

So I'd say it's got to be worth giving them a call to see if they will provide you with the same level of cover that you get in the UK.

Wub

Rain

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:30 - 20 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
After doing quite a bit of looking on Google when you first posted this thread and again now that Enduro Numpty has replied, I think The AA is a likely candidate.

Much appreciated!
I ended up having to take the plunge a while ago, as my policy was up for renewal; I went for Bennetts in the end for want of anything better, and although their wording is ambiguous (I still need to steel myself to make a phone call) it probably isn't going to provide the cover.

Possibly of interest to anybody else reading this in the future: even if your policy says it covers you and that no actual Green Card will be issued, I've learned that apparently this won't wash with the Bosnian border guards and that they insist on sight of a genuine hard copy or they will still charge you for this cheapo crappy TPO policy.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 129 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1