Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Scottish Nationalism

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:46 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I'd imagine Oberste Führer Sturgeon would like to hold as many unauthorised unilateral referenda as needed to get the "correct" answer and then dare the English to send in the Redcoats.

Rishi Sunak, Hammer of the Scots? Unlikely.

I doubt Rishi Rich will be bothered, more like he'll be clapping his mates in the city of London on the back as they que up to lend money to New Scotland on very (to them) favourable rates.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:24 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news yet on what Scotland would do with independence? It'd be an easier sell if say all the UK countries were independent for all but the King and defence. One might eye our friends across the pond with disgust but their federal state system seems to work.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:00 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Any news yet on what Scotland would do with independence? It'd be an easier sell if say all the UK countries were independent for all but the King and defence. One might eye our friends across the pond with disgust but their federal state system seems to work.

That wouldn't satisfy the SNP as they want to join the EU.

something that's come up is the SNP has invented a new phrase to try and cast Scotland as some kind of victim state, "involuntary nationhood". I bet they were partying when some little party twonk came up with that one.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:33 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

There is prescedent for that. The union of the crowns happened more than 100 years before the union of parliaments.

Also technically, England fell under the rule of the James VI of Scotland when Elizabeth I died. He then became James I of England. This was however by dint of many years of political machinations and assasination of the Scottish succession.

I think what the SNP do and do not want from an independant Scotland is by and large irrelevant. I don't believe the SNP would be left in charge of an independant Scotland in anything more than a caretake role until a general election could be held.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:07 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I don't believe the SNP would be left in charge of an independant Scotland in anything more than a caretake role until a general election could be held.

The top nobs in the SNP dont care, they'll be cashing in with the book deals, lecture tours and a nice fat (UK) parliamentary pension. Twats.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:06 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:
I don't believe the SNP would be left in charge of an independant Scotland in anything more than a caretake role until a general election could be held.

The top nobs in the SNP dont care, they'll be cashing in with the book deals, lecture tours and a nice fat (UK) parliamentary pension. Twats.

As long as they ultimately achieve independence, who cares?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:23 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

While that sounds admirable what are you going to do with it? With Brexit a lot of people thought we might get less immigration and how did that pan out?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:37 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Islander wrote:

While that sounds admirable what are you going to do with it?

Hand it straight to the EU of course.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Islander wrote:

While that sounds admirable what are you going to do with it? With Brexit a lot of people thought we might get less immigration and how did that pan out?

We'll do just fine thanks Thumbs Up

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:36 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

You'll have found your utopia and everything will be all unicorns and rainbows Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:09 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll tell you how the Scots will be if they get independence. At first, they will be coming to the UK and begging, "just until we get on our feet." Which they never will of course. And all the while, they will be looking across the border at England, and every time they do something better than the English, they will wet their pants, and every time they do something worse than the English, they will wet their pants. They will remain forever obsessed with the English.
Meanwhile, the world will move on, and it'll all be irrelevant, just as Brexit has become irrelevant.
The Scottish independence mentality is nothing more than a football supporter's mentality.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:15 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I'll tell you how the Scots will be if they get independence. At first, they will be coming to the UK and begging, "just until we get on our feet." Which they never will of course. And all the while, they will be looking across the border at England, and every time they do something better than the English, they will wet their pants, and every time they do something worse than the English, they will wet their pants. They will remain forever obsessed with the English.
Meanwhile, the world will move on, and it'll all be irrelevant, just as Brexit has become irrelevant.
The Scottish independence mentality is nothing more than a football supporter's mentality.

Oh I think we'll do better than that. Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:17 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

You're not one of them. You will always be tainted in their eyes because you're English.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:25 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

That bit I agree with. Post economic and social apocalypse, all talk of brexit, devolution etc will be irrelevant. We will be too busy defending our food and fresh water sources... Happy days. Laughing

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:45 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Islander wrote:

You're not one of them. You will always be tainted in their eyes because you're English.

There are a few like that but they're really in a small minority. I've never had any issues here at all. I don't think your view of Scottish folk is based on reality. Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:45 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

You don't know or you don't care? Serious question.

For example, the propaganda from the SNP:

https://www.gov.scot/publications/building-new-scotland-stronger-economy-independence-summary/

tl;dr lots of potential income, hinging on re-entering the EU (which is an explicit aim.) Offshore wind energy, salmon, whisky, service industries but pointedly not North Sea oil & gas or defence contracts, arms manufacture.

Will it all add up? "Nah, it'll be fine" is not an answer.

Will the EU want Scotland? And how long would it take to get in if they said yes? Spain is going to be livid down to Catalonia for a start. Is there an ensured income from energy? The customers are England & Wales, Ireland and Norway. Yes the UK sells a little to those already but there are also the Interconnects to France and Holland that Scotland would not have access to.

Fish, Whisky and gaming. Is it enough?

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Islander wrote:

You don't know or you don't care? Serious question.

For example, the propaganda from the SNP:

https://www.gov.scot/publications/building-new-scotland-stronger-economy-independence-summary/

tl;dr lots of potential income, hinging on re-entering the EU (which is an explicit aim.) Offshore wind energy, salmon, whisky, service industries but pointedly not North Sea oil & gas or defence contracts, arms manufacture.

Will it all add up? "Nah, it'll be fine" is not an answer.

Will the EU want Scotland? And how long would it take to get in if they said yes? Spain is going to be livid down to Catalonia for a start. Is there an ensured income from energy? The customers are England & Wales, Ireland and Norway. Yes the UK sells a little to those already but there are also the Interconnects to France and Holland that Scotland would not have access to.

Fish, Whisky and gaming. Is it enough?

I'd recommend you take a look at our renewable resources. Wind, wave, tidal and solar. There are other resources as well of course.
Why do you think the UK government is so keen to keep us in thrall?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:15 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander, you live on a remote island in a small community, which undoubtedly has its own identity. Where is the core of the independence movement based? What do you think they care of you? You have nothing in common with the CORE of the independence movement, and it is they who will hold sway in an independant Scotland. You support the independence movement purely because you think it will make you more accepted among the Scots, as you would support the Union if you thought the majority of Scots did. Folks like you, and like stinkwheel, and probably any Scots who still use this forum are not representative of this independence movement.

The problem you will have when you realise this, is that the movement, and its SNP leadership in particular, have by now probably done irreparable damage to your welcome within the Union, certainly here in England (which you think you don't care about - and that may be true, for now).

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:19 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

I'd recommend you take a look at our renewable resources. Wind, wave, tidal and solar. There are other resources as well of course.

There it is. Unicorns and rainbows, just as I said.
Do you think a Labour government will be so set against your independence? Do you believe their words? They are swept along with the prevailing wind (as they perceive it, at least).

The whole of the UK needs reform and a new look at the way we govern ourselves. Scotland is not alone in this view. Our main political parties are not representative of the majority of folk in these islands anymore.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:26 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Islander wrote:

There it is. Unicorns and rainbows, just as I said.
Do you think a Labour government will be so set against your independence? Do you believe their words? They are swept along with the prevailing wind (as they perceive it, at least).

The whole of the UK needs reform and a new look at the way we govern ourselves. Scotland is not alone in this view. Our main political parties are not representative of the majority of folk in these islands anymore.

I'd prefer we governed ourselves.

The thing is, if we're such a burden why are the UK government so set against another independence referendum? Why aren't they holding their own? What could they want from us? Laughing

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:30 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Islander, you live on a remote island in a small community, which undoubtedly has its own identity. Where is the core of the independence movement based? What do you think they care of you? You have nothing in common with the CORE of the independence movement, and it is they who will hold sway in an independant Scotland. You support the independence movement purely because you think it will make you more accepted among the Scots, as you would support the Union if you thought the majority of Scots did. Folks like you, and like stinkwheel, and probably any Scots who still use this forum are not representative of this independence movement.

The problem you will have when you realise this, is that the movement, and its SNP leadership in particular, have by now probably done irreparable damage to your welcome within the Union, certainly here in England (which you think you don't care about - and that may be true, for now).

Do you think I never talk to people from the mainland? There's a groundswell for independence much stronger than the last one. The problem with the last referendum was that nobody trusted Salmond - and quite rightly so. Sturgeon is a different proposition.

If it's a welcome and a union of partners, rather than political shackles then set us free - we may even have a welcome for you lot. Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:54 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

The thing is, if we're such a burden why are the UK government so set against another independence referendum? Why aren't they holding their own? What could they want from us? Laughing

Wtf are you asking me for?! Laughing
Didn't I just say they don't represent the majority of folk in this country anymore? Rolling Eyes

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:55 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

Do you think I never talk to people from the mainland? There's a groundswell for independence much stronger than the last one. The problem with the last referendum was that nobody trusted Salmond - and quite rightly so. Sturgeon is a different proposition.

If it's a welcome and a union of partners, rather than political shackles then set us free - we may even have a welcome for you lot. Laughing

Everyone in the UK wants free from Westminster, you dork Laughing

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:52 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

you will suffer another Darien scheme ..

and we as the last outpost of civilization south of the border will reap the benefits .. hurry up and fcuk off will you there's a good chap .. sick of listening to yous..

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:02 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the oppression that Scotland is under? 25% more money is spent on Scottish vs. English citizens. If anything it's Scottish gibs oppressing the English - more is thy due than more than all can pay Sad
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 125 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 21 of 48