Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda 250 Hornet fuel tank removal

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

scamper
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:41 - 20 Nov 2022    Post subject: Honda 250 Hornet fuel tank removal Reply with quote

My hornet suddenly stopped running right and I wanted to check the spark plugs but having problems removing the fuel tank. I've removed the bolt at the back and I've pinched the clip on the fuel pipe and pull it down but I can't pull the pipe off. Is there any trick to pulling off the fuel pipe?

Supposing I can get the fuel pipe off is there anything else to disconnect? I watched a video that seemed to suggest there was something else to disconnect.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:50 - 20 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally you can lift up the tank a little bit and have a peek at what else is connected. If a pipe's been on a while then it might take some effort to wrestle it off, just go careful.

scamper
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:09 - 21 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Generally you can lift up the tank a little bit and have a peek at what else is connected. If a pipe's been on a while then it might take some effort to wrestle it off, just go careful.

Thanks I'll take a closer look when I can get out to it.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:34 - 21 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rubber pipes can sometimes feel like they've been glued
on to the metal pipe if they been there for years.
I usually grip them with the inner curved and serrated part of
the jaws of pliers ( the 'nut cracker' looking part in the image below)
and twist the end of the pipe around the tube before pulling them off and it mostly works for me

If the bike has a fuel gauge you'll also need to disconnect the sender cables

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.z9DyMlKrRI1xEr3uFB3XbwHaFj%26pid%3DApi&f=1&ipt=e787e753da9f8119041c79545aedf48d1a502fb0c478c406c74fa2152c9bf83b&ipo=images

Last edited by WD Forte on 21:37 - 21 Nov 2022; edited 1 time in total

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:36 - 21 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the OP hasn't worked out how the quick release on the fuel line works.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:41 - 21 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming he's struggling with springy/clampy type tube clips
I spose he may have those modern locking plastic ones I've
mainly seen used on FI systems.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:51 - 21 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be a modern FI one. THe first time I tried to do my triumph's quick release it was an hour of convincing myself that I was doing the right thing and its supposed to come apart like that.

scamper
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:43 - 21 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:

That's it. I got the pliers on the clamp and pulled that down the fuel pipe. Now can't pull the fuel pipe off and wondering why it's so hard. Not entirely sure what to expect and don't want to break anything. Is there any knack to it?

No it's not F1, just a pipe and a springy clamp. It's a 1998 so getting on a bit.

scamper
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:47 - 21 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

scamper wrote:
WD Forte wrote:

That's it. I got the pliers on the clamp and pulled that down the fuel pipe. Now can't pull the fuel pipe off and wondering why it's so hard. Not entirely sure what to expect and don't want to break anything. Is there any knack to it?

No it's not F1, just a pipe and a springy clamp. It's a 1998 so getting on a bit.

I'm sorry I should have read the thread above. I see what you mean about the pliers. I'll give that a try

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:52 - 21 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
It'll be a modern FI one. THe first time I tried to do my triumph's quick release it was an hour of convincing myself that I was doing the right thing and its supposed to come apart like that.

One can only assume with their nimble little fingers the Japs think they're perfectly fine Neutral But if that's what the OP has rather than a little metal spring clip then it's a case of sliding over the plastic cover to expose square buttons either side (the grey squares in this picture)

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRFcWosa4jXx3oAQsV_FzuTL-pOmZpj5_5PzQ&usqp=CAU

...and really squeezing them both at the same time while pulling the connector off the tank pipe. Goes back on dead easy ofc!

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:43 - 21 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

I had exactly the same thing on the Striple. It's an absolute sod to come off and it feels like it's going to snap at any moment even when you're doing it right. There's a bit you have to click in at the same time and mine didn't want to, I ended up having to use circlip pliers and my hands to get the bugger off. Horrible design.

But yeah on older style pipes I've had them stick on and got them moving using the pliers method without splitting them. Just twist the pipe around on the nozzle a little bit before trying to pull it off. Fnarr.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:44 - 21 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

That's the evil little bugger!

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:56 - 22 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 250 Hornet is just a standard pipe and clip, its just bastard old rubber. Be prepared to get a new bit of suitable pipe Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

scamper
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:03 - 22 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
The 250 Hornet is just a standard pipe and clip, its just bastard old rubber. Be prepared to get a new bit of suitable pipe Laughing

This is what the fuel pipe looks like. I've pulled down the metal clip. As you say the pulling the pipe down seems to be the tricky bit.

https://i.postimg.cc/gk47FL68/IMG-20221122-173102.jpg

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:34 - 22 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slide a big, flat-blade screwdriver onto the rim of the hose and try to push it down. Works on my ‘99 Kawasaki. You might have to twist the blade so that one side leans on the fuel tab body and the other side levers the hose downwards.

Edit: I think when you pull the hose you stretch it and so tighten the rubber, whereas prising it off doesn’t.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:12 - 23 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Rubber pipes can sometimes feel like they've been glued
on to the metal pipe if they been there for years.
I usually grip them with the inner curved and serrated part of
the jaws of pliers ( the 'nut cracker' looking part in the image below)
and twist the end of the pipe around the tube before pulling them off and it mostly works for me

If the bike has a fuel gauge you'll also need to disconnect the sender cables

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.z9DyMlKrRI1xEr3uFB3XbwHaFj%26pid%3DApi&f=1&ipt=e787e753da9f8119041c79545aedf48d1a502fb0c478c406c74fa2152c9bf83b&ipo=images

Do this. With the pliers, just rotate the pipe around on the nozzle, backwards and forwards, not trying to actually pull it off the nozzle, just rotating it, until it frees off and you can twist it pack and forth with your fingers. Then rotate it back and forth with your fingers while pulling down at the same time. It should come off, they always have for me at least.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:25 - 23 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Slide a big, flat-blade screwdriver onto the rim of the hose and try to push it down. Works on my ‘99 Kawasaki. You might have to twist the blade so that one side leans on the fuel tab body and the other side levers the hose downwards.

Edit: I think when you pull the hose you stretch it and so tighten the rubber, whereas prising it off doesn’t.

Think Chinese finger trap Smile

If you're doing this in cold weather the rubber will be hard. A quick blast with a hair-dryer or heat gun might help. Not a blow lamp!

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:18 - 23 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the pic
Like kwaklesaki jimble, I'd have just got a flat blade screwdriver in there and levered it down the spout to free it up

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:18 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Looking at the pic
Like kwaklesaki jimble, I'd have just got a flat blade screwdriver in there and levered it down the spout to free it up

Inadmissible. You’d already gone for the pliers, Jsun Kung. Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 151 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1