Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Very very important item for debate

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:40 - 23 Nov 2022    Post subject: Very very important item for debate Reply with quote

Waitrose changes Christmas advert after complaints

Waitrose has changed a part of its Christmas advert that showed two farmers comparing sun tans after it was criticised by skin cancer patients.

Jesus fcuking wept. It's an advert. Albeit a bloody crap christmas advert but WTF.

Some people need to get their priorities in order.

OR is it signifying cultural appropriation of brown peoples skins? Laughing You never know in todays world.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:42 - 23 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waitrose should have just said

'Thanks for the concern, but in the real world some people, indeed many of our suppliers have to work outdoors. Just
so you have the facility to press a few buttons (when you're not hunting for the next thing to complain about online)
while you 'work' from home and then have Ocado (Where our drivers have one brown arm all year long) bring you
your groceries. Your business is important to us so be assured that your complaint will be urgently filed into the nearest
appropriate shredder. Merry Christmas.'

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:47 - 23 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even I have to admit this is fucking stupid.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:25 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Even I have to admit this is fucking stupid.

It's a sign of the decadent luxury we wallow in that such things are deemed "important" Sad

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:08 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop advertising bread and biscuits!

Won't somebody think of the coeliacs!

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:31 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
Stop advertising bread and biscuits!

Won't somebody think of the coeliacs!

Is that some kind of cabbage?

Laughing

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 08:47 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thiouight they were some sort of shellfish.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:49 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's that fish they thought was extinct.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:23 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard about a child athlete who got rickets from not getting enough vitamin D due to inadequate exposure to sunlight because their parent kept them covered in sunscreen every time the stepped out of the house. So I wish to register a complaint about skin cancer patients registering a complaint about an advert containing people comparing sun tans.

Why wont someone think of the children?!

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:43 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Re: Very very important item for debate Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Waitrose has changed a part of its Christmas advert that showed two farmers comparing sun tans after it was criticised by skin cancer patients.

I have to say that in these days of ever-ridiculous wokeness, this is not something that grinds my gears. The point is that a LOT of people do die of skin cancer, and they do so as a direct result of getting a sun tan, and the point is that sun tans are promoted by media and popular culture as being a good thing to have, looking healthy etc. The truth is exactly the opposite, so I do think it's pretty shit of Big Shopping to be promoting sun tans as a good thing (I haven't seen the advert but I assume that's the shctick?).

Now if you really want to get me started - how about yesterday's story of the disabled bloke who's in with a shout of becoming an astronaut? In my narrow little world I'd have naively assumed that being chosen to be one of the 0.000001% of the world population (statistic made up) to become Buzz Lightyear might have demanded a human at the absolute peak of physical fitness? Yeah I know he's a Paralympian, but meh.

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:04 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The country is full of fucking idiots.
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:20 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Fzs wrote:
The country World is full of fucking idiots.

FTFY Sad

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:26 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Re: Very very important item for debate Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

I have to say that in these days of ever-ridiculous wokeness, this is not something that grinds my gears. The point is that a LOT of people do die of skin cancer, and they do so as a direct result of getting a sun tan, and the point is that sun tans are promoted by media and popular culture as being a good thing to have, looking healthy etc. The truth is exactly the opposite, so I do think it's pretty shit of Big Shopping to be promoting sun tans as a good thing (I haven't seen the advert but I assume that's the shctick?).

Now if you really want to get me started - how about yesterday's story of the disabled bloke who's in with a shout of becoming an astronaut? In my narrow little world I'd have naively assumed that being chosen to be one of the 0.000001% of the world population (statistic made up) to become Buzz Lightyear might have demanded a human at the absolute peak of physical fitness? Yeah I know he's a Paralympian, but meh.

Having a leg missing isn't a huge impediment in microgravity. As long as he's fit enough to cope with the forces of launch and re-entry and the demands of the missions, has the mental faculties required to complete his part of a mission then what's the problem?

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:44 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

If my spaceship didn't know which way to go, I'd rather be sat next to Stephen Hawkins than Dwayne Johnson, and he can't use either of his legs, don't you know.

Admittedly he may need a hand to get on board in the first place however...

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:51 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Re: Very very important item for debate Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
Freddyfruitbat wrote:
[Now if you really want to get me started - how about yesterday's story of the disabled bloke who's in with a shout of becoming an astronaut? In my narrow little world I'd have naively assumed that being chosen to be one of the 0.000001% of the world population (statistic made up) to become Buzz Lightyear might have demanded a human at the absolute peak of physical fitness? Yeah I know he's a Paralympian, but meh.

Having a leg missing isn't a huge impediment in microgravity.

For sure; and judging by the guy's performance on the running track it doesn't look like a huge impediment to him here on Earth either. And kudos to him, too.

But it's not no impediment either, so you've kind of made my point.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:55 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Re: Very very important item for debate Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Waitrose changes Christmas advert after complaints

Jesus fcuking wept. It's an advert. Albeit a bloody crap christmas advert but WTF.

Some people need to get their priorities in order.

OR is it signifying cultural appropriation of brown peoples skins? Laughing You never know in todays world.

I've not seen it but what's christmassy about sun tans? Also didn't farmers have a bad year with the lack of rainfall/droughts in the summer?

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:16 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Re: Very very important item for debate Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Islander wrote:

Having a leg missing isn't a huge impediment in microgravity.

For sure; and judging by the guy's performance on the running track it doesn't look like a huge impediment to him here on Earth either. And kudos to him, too.

To get selected for training you have to show that you're fit and able to do the job both physically and mentally.

If you'd read the whole article rather than going into meltdown you'd have seen

This announcement does not mean McFall is guaranteed to go into orbit. Instead, he will be part of a feasibility programme to see what the requirements would be for that to be possible.

And

Esa will be working with Nasa on the feasibility study. They need to establish first that a para-astronaut's inclusion wouldn't compromise crew safety. It's also possible the space vehicles in which they travel will need adaptations.

So he's part of a study which is no bad thing in itself. Disability shouldn't be a bar from any profession or role.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:19 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Re: Very very important item for debate Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
Disability shouldn't be a bar from any profession or role.

Can't imagine there's a market for armless firemen. Or blind pilots.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:34 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Quote:

If my spaceship didn't know which way to go, I'd rather be sat next to Stephen Hawkins than Dwayne Johnson, and he can't use either of his legs, don't you know.

Call me ableist if you will but if I'm going to rely on someone else as a space travel companion I'd rather they started the trip with a pulse... Laughing

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:44 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Re: Very very important item for debate Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Islander wrote:

Well obviously. You knew what I meant though.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:47 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Re: Very very important item for debate Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Islander wrote:

There are blind golfers so anything's possible Wink

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:50 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Re: Very very important item for debate Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
Freddyfruitbat wrote:
To get selected for training you have to show that you're fit and able to do the job both physically and mentally.
If you'd read the whole article rather than going into meltdown you'd have seen
This announcement does not mean McFall is guaranteed to go into orbit. Instead, he will be part of a feasibility programme to see what the requirements would be for that to be possible.

Ooh, maybe I did read the whole article.
But did you read my whole post?
Freddyfruitbat wrote:
story of the disabled bloke who's in with a shout of becoming an astronaut?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:45 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
Diggs wrote:

Call me ableist if you will but if I'm going to rely on someone else as a space travel companion I'd rather they started the trip with a pulse... Laughing

Nah it'll be...
https://external-preview.redd.it/Nt0vrnO48oH5T5GyKukevcEt9ULq0q3MsBE3uDP6OcU.jpg?auto=webp&s=53e0304953c4f080b0778eee30f3dd6671677f84

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:01 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Re: Very very important item for debate Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
There are blind golfers so anything's possible Wink
An oldie but a goodie

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:04 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anything, legs are a liability in space. It's not like you can walk anywhere.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 145 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1