BCF: Bike Chat Forums

benelli bn 125 starting problems

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:04 - 16 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your inlet gap is nearly a millimetre? I would expect exhaust to be .2 and inlet .1 when cold.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:27 - 17 Nov 2022    Post subject: Re: benelli cutting out Reply with quote

adywood45 wrote:
Hi
What code reader did you get as im having the same problem i think as my reader says theres no codes stored in the ecu yet if i hold the throttle at a steady 3000 rpm it will surge 3000 to 3500 then return to 3000 rpm if i go out on the bike the eml light will come on and the engine will cut out it will re start runs really rough couple of revs it clears it's self then of you go again until the eml light comes on again and the engine just cuts out again iv'e checked valve clearances and there 0.10 ex 0.8 inlet any one got any ideas what it could be.

yes

adywood45
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 04:23 - 17 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes to what ? And Nobby thats the clearances it gives in the service manual online when i checked them they were less than that inlet was at 0.06 ex was 0.08 i put them at the specs of the manual and it didn't make a shits worth of difference to my cutting out problem and surging rpm at a constant throttle position of 3000 rpm it was a tad more rattley so ill put the tappet clearance back to how it was.

Last edited by adywood45 on 04:56 - 17 Nov 2022; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

adywood45
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 04:39 - 17 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valve clearance( Cold engine )IN: 0.06 ~ 0.08 ex That's what it gives in the service manual for the valve clearances on the Benelli BN 125 2019 EFI model

Last edited by adywood45 on 18:00 - 18 Nov 2022; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 09:03 - 17 Nov 2022    Post subject: Re: benelli cutting out Reply with quote

adywood45 wrote:
Hi
iv'e checked valve clearances and there 0.10 ex 0.8 inlet any one got any ideas what it could be.

You said 0.8, not 0.08. There's a fuck load of difference.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:46 - 17 Nov 2022    Post subject: Re: benelli cutting out Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
adywood45 wrote:
Hi
iv'e checked valve clearances and there 0.10 ex 0.8 inlet any one got any ideas what it could be.

You said 0.8, not 0.08. There's a fuck load of difference.

10 times in fact, the difference between (approx) 3 and 30 thou

It may seem pedantic but when diagnosing faults,describing them and testing/observing, a certain amount pedantry is a good thing.

BTW, 0.08mm inlet and 0.1mm exhaust ( 3 and 4 thou respectively) is the same spec as a YBR 125

Whatever, unless the valve clearances are wildly out of spec
it's all got feck all to do with the actual problem.

adywood45
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:56 - 18 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Nbby

I'm bad lol i knew what i meant i was reading my feeler gauges and they don't have the 0.08 just 0.8 i wouldn't use a spade to set the gaps at 30 Thou lol. I've tried getting the settings from 3 benelli dealers and they all came back saying they don't 'know i then watched a vid on you tube and the lad set his to 0.06 inlet 0.08 exhaust iv'e checked mine and there at 0.06 inlet is tight but i can push the feeler gauge into the gap exhaust is the same tight at 0.08 i will adjust them so the feeler gauge is a sliding fit .But this isn't the problem I'm chasing and my code reader is about as much use as a chocolate fire guard as thats saying there isn't any codes stored in the ecu which is why i was asking what code reader 777 used.

adywood45
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:49 - 20 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

adywood45 wrote:
Hi
Nbby

I'm bad lol i knew what i meant i was reading my feeler gauges and they don't have the 0.08 just 0.8 i wouldn't use a spade to set the gaps at 30 Thou lol. and i haven't said it 10 times either. I've tried getting the settings from 3 benelli dealers and they all came back saying they don't 'know i then watched a vid on you tube and the lad set his to 0.06 inlet 0.08 exhaust iv'e checked mine and there at 0.06 inlet is tight but i can push the feeler gauge into the gap exhaust is the same tight at 0.08 i will adjust them so the feeler gauge is a sliding fit .But this isn't the problem I'm chasing and my code reader is about as much use as a chocolate fire guard as thats saying there isn't any codes stored in the ecu which is why i was asking what code reader 777 used.

adywood45
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:43 - 26 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It turned out to be the same issue as 777 had head temp sensor i also had a code for the petrol vapour canister so i changed that as well . I found a code reader that would read the codes. I got a OBD2 Code Reader - MS309 for Universal Motorcycles from cmpo chinese motorcycles and the Benelli OBD2 Plug Adaptor (Delphi ECU) from
www.lonelec.com. And i set my valve clearances to 0.06 in 0.08 ex i've done about 100 mile on Ben so far with out it randomly cutting out so i've sorted it at last.Hope that might help some one out.Ady

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:38 - 26 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to know it uses a Delphi ecu
I'd read a lot of chinese bikes use that

I don't have a bike to test this for myself but I also read if you turn the ignition on, then off, then back on and wait,
many Delphi ecus will flash out error codes

Edit:
Correction
I have found the file and it says to switch the ignition
on-off on-off-on in rapid succession
and the ECU will flash out a 4 digit code
ten flashes for zero, the rest as you'd assume

You want to try that?
if may help others if this is true
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 123 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2