Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Speed fight 3 temporary issues

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

brythered92
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:43 - 30 Nov 2022    Post subject: Speed fight 3 temporary issues Reply with quote

Hi All,

Mother in law has a sf3 for bumbling around on. Completely standard and it all of a sudden started dying when she revved it until it wouldn’t start again.

Have done the following which weirdly lets it run fine for 1-2 days before resorting in back to the previous issue of slowly dying then not starting.

So far I have:
- emptied and drained fuel tank refilled with fresh e5
- stripped carb checked float and needles
- compressed air cleaning all jets and fuel filter etc.
- checked fuel is getting to the carb
- stripped auto choke of the carb and checked that it moves.
- air filter cleaned
- new battery 9 months ago.

as mentioned after doing the carbs stuff twice the bike runs fine for 1-2 days then goes back to dying under throttle till it won’t start again. To me I’d say jets are becoming blocked somehow? Neutral Can you think of sensible next steps? Or is there something I’m obviously missing.

Alll the best

Bry

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:52 - 30 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

What fuel filter are you talking?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:44 - 30 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried leaving the fuel cap off? It my sound stupid but if the air intake is blocked then it causes a vacuum in the fuel tank and causes the carb to not filll with fuel.

Jaffa has no idea btw.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:11 - 01 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be the fuel pump? Pretty sure those have a vacuum fuel pump yeah? Might it be running until the fuel drops below the level it can run into the carb through gravity?

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:26 - 01 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a drain plug on the float bowl you can crack open to see if the bowl is empty when it is in the "won't start" condition? That could tell you if it's a fuel flow issue (pump, tank vacuum or something else pre-carb) and it's drained the bowls of fuel.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 08:51 - 01 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checking the plug electrode colour/wetness/condition and checking for presence of a spark after several failed starting attempts would give you more information too.

brythered92
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:34 - 01 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies all.

- Fuel filter is the in line filter
- I haven’t tried the cap off approach so will give that a go.
- they do have a fuel pump and that’s a good shout didn’t think of that as I could see the fuel going into the carb when I took the feed off it. I will try testing this.
- yes it does have one so I will also check that as that could rule out fuel pump.
- forgot to mention had the spark plug out cleaned it, checked gap, and tested strong spark but will also check its colour etc when it’s not starting to see!

Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone. Very much appreciated.

Regards
Bry

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:51 - 01 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've tried to repeatedly start it with no joy, the plug should be wet.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 10:14 - 02 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a 2 stroke or 4 stroke? If it's a 2 stroke, then cleaning out the exhaust is always worthwhile, as is finding out if it was ever run out of oil.

Something that shouldn't be the problem but is worth checking is the ignition key switch. I've had it myself, and heard of it lots on other Peugeot scooters, the contacts in the base can slip round and provide a poor connection, then no connection. Easy fix for that is a new ignition barrel, although if you're careful you can dismantle the existing one and fix it.

Otherwise fuel pump is a good call, along with anything electrical to do with the ignition system. I'm fairly sure they have plastic fuel tanks, so getting shit in the carb is unlikely. You really need a steel tank rusting for that to happen.

brythered92
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:35 - 04 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evening all,

So tried a fuel pump from a donor bike today and still the same issues.

Link to show you the problem. I’m wondering if this is cdi now as it’s full throttle it dies down.

https://youtube.com/shorts/N1MPuGFPWN0?feature=share

- Float bowls full when it dies too as I checked earlier.
- Fuel cap off runs no different still same issue.

Will also look into ignition barrel suggestion.

Kind regards
Bry

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:45 - 04 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't have thought it was the cdi because they either work or don't work, not something in between.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:08 - 04 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree, it still runs albeit slower so doubt its the CDI

'sounds' like fuel starvation to me or possibly overfuelling/choking
How did you check the enricher?

Poor or leaky pipe work to the fuel pump will restrict supply
and stop it or starve it of fuel.
They aren't high power pumps and the slightest vac leak can have
significant consequences.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:51 - 05 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was starved of fuel wouldn’t the float bowl be empty (assuming the pump didn’t continue to run after it died and refilled it)?

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:09 - 06 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair point but this is BCF 'trust no one'
all we get is a glimpse of what's actually happening on a good day
so I just throw guesses and ideas in and lose interest mostly.

When I see a full float bowl and a pump actually pumping then I
believe it, until then its that Nicole Scherzingers cat.

brythered92
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:15 - 11 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all apologies for the delay in responding. Been cold of late and not had chance to work on it.

Basically the autochoke was tested by measuring distance of movement of the needle once warm and was in line with expected.

Putting it back together and starting it it was running on tickover and reving on the stand 20 mins no problem. So decided I’d take it out on road test yesterday as I thought it was fixed. 10 mins of doing laps round the block got up to full acceleration and it died at full throttle again and then started just running terribly the few 100 metres home.

Opened it up again and I was feeling around the pipes for air leaks and knocked the HT lead. Thought I’d play around with it and unscrewed it from the boot and put it back together. Then realised it could take and extra click down when connecting it back to the plug. It then fired up quite nicely and ran on the stand fine. I didn’t have enough time to take it for a road run again so will try that to be sure. But maybe it’s the boot wiggling loose under vibration at higher speeds hence the “bogging down” possibly.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions so far. Will let you know how the road run goes!

Regards
Bryan
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 107 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1