Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What have you done to your bike today?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:42 - 22 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Chucked crash bungs on it. Not often I have a nice enough bike to worry about it.
https://i.imgur.com/WdEMm0zl.jpg

I just took delivery of a little 3/8 Sealey torque wrench yesterday so I can fit the ones I've had sitting on my
kitchen counter for a fortnight. Just waiting on some compatible allen headed sockets to turn up and then, once
I've figured out how to set the thing I can get on and fit my bungs. The one on the left side is longer than the right
and also will make a very good and solid action camera mount.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:02 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 251 started acting funny after coming back from MOT last month, refusing to idle. Last night I finally had time (I didn't need/want to use that particular bike anyway) to take carb off and immediately look at the idle jet, which was as expected.. Small spec of dirt in the hole.

The compressor saw to that. Bike idling back @ 1,300rpm as it used to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:01 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

blurredman wrote:
Took the brake pads and petrol tank cap (with gasket) off my bike and gave them to my brother for him to re-present MOT as his failed on these.

Expecting them back very soon. Laughing

Petrol cap gasket - an MoT fail - seriously?

Brake pads - mate, I'm tight but I think even I'd spring for a new set if they're too thin for MoT.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:14 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
blurredman wrote:
Took the brake pads and petrol tank cap (with gasket) off my bike and gave them to my brother for him to re-present MOT as his failed on these.

Expecting them back very soon. Laughing

Petrol cap gasket - an MoT fail - seriously?

Brake pads - mate, I'm tight but I think even I'd spring for a new set if they're too thin for MoT.

It's not my bike. Infact he has some somewhere but couldn't find them in time. Hasn't actually been on the road for 3.5 years and likely won't be on the road much now. Purely got on the road to go camping on next month. A big indicator is the recessed material line going down the centre of the pad- if it's gone then the pads need replacing, but I actually seriously doubt they were as bad as suggested as it's actually very difficult to see the pad wearing marks without removing items. I am still awaiting a photograph however of his original ones to see for myself.

And yeah: petrol cap gasket leaking is a fail- I had it myself last year. I didn't really think about it until that point because for many years I never had a proper bike MOT. I did notice the car MOT man checking the petrol caps on the cars however. Thankfully, for simple caps you can likely find plumbing connection rubbers (for the plastic pipes) in any hardware store. They may not necessarily last long with petrol but they're cheap and available.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:58 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crash bungs fitted during a part of the day when I didn't have the massive hump because of scamming cxnts on
Instagram. But that's an entirely separate whinge. It took all of ten minutes to do, 8 of which were spent faffing about,
was legit my first time using a torque wrench.

Only remaining outstanding job on the MTen now is the application of some black reflective rim tape which I may attempt
tomorrow if the suns out to facilitate a little pliability of the tape, and a couple of Batman emblems because I'm a massive
child. It's been absolutely gushing it down in Bristol today, definitely not self adhesive weather.

https://i.imgur.com/Ehxe9kJ.jpg

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:16 - 28 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up the Snarley from the mechanics - dry afternoon, quite nice so rode it to Kent
Sunday: got a bit moist coming home, in all senses of the word.
Cool Thumbs Up

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:24 - 28 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

Sunday: got a bit moist coming home, in all senses of the word.
Cool Thumbs Up

Dirty girl....

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:25 - 29 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The missus called me last week saying the scooter exhaust is making a funny noise. Turned out the exhaust bolts snapped off and the end can fell off Rolling Eyes Had to get it fixed quickly so I bought a generic gy6 engine exhaust that didn't fit so I had to cut the end can mount off and weld it back on at a different angle and then make a bracket to mount it all.
Fast forward to a few days ago it snapped the bracket I made and one of the exhaust studs. Totally my fault really for making a shitty bracket but there's fuck all to mount it too other than the engine and I think the vibrations killed it. Spent hours trying to get the stud out without removing the head but couldn't do it and once I had the head off it came straight out. Made a new bracket with some angle iron so I don't think it will break this time.

Chinese bikes are shit, I've had nothing but issues with it. The seat lock has also stopped working, the ignition is also dodgy and the bloody thing keeps cutting out in the rain.

On a positive I fitted heated grips to the SV in between this Laughing

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:46 - 01 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the Snarley for a buzz in to Spitalfields and back.

Felt good to have proper boots, proper jacket, decent gloves and to be out on the bike again as well, despite that it's the first day of winter. No rain! What's to worry about? Squeezing through traffic, gosh I've missed that Wub

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:27 - 02 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put it away - for how long not sure. Damp and foggy just doesn't interest me. Plus after 6 weeks at the new job, the new commute just isn't a nice bike road. See how I feel about it when it's cold and dry or failing that, next year.

Might be time for a change and go back to a cheap CB500 for occasional use.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:08 - 03 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The scooter strikes again, this time it wouldn't start at the petrol station Rolling Eyes Tried charging the battery for an hour and that didn't help but I did eventually get it to kick start after a lot of trying. Got it home and now the starter tries to turn after the short ride so I think the battery is dead. Got it on charge so hopefully it works in the morning.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:33 - 03 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
The scooter strikes again, this time it wouldn't start at the petrol station Rolling Eyes Tried charging the battery for an hour and that didn't help but I did eventually get it to kick start after a lot of trying. Got it home and now the starter tries to turn after the short ride so I think the battery is dead. Got it on charge so hopefully it works in the morning.

Temperatures have dropped sharply the last few days. It's probably killed off your battery. Not much you can do except replace it.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:19 - 03 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Ayrton wrote:

Temperatures have dropped sharply the last few days. It's probably killed off your battery. Not much you can do except replace it.

Thanks I didn't consider that. I charged it overnight but it didn't seem to hold much of a charge this morning

I did read that a common issue is oil getting into the starter so I took it out for a look and I think mine was well lubricated Laughing The brushes are also worn all the way down so that probably doesn't help. I cleaned it up but it still doesn't turn over so I'm thinking it's either the starter is totally knackered or it's the battery. I've ordered both anyway.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 05 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put the new starter in today and it fired right up, I guess the oil either ruined the old one of the brushes were worn too much. Threw the new battery in too for good measure.

I'll have to sort the kickstart one day, it's quite hard to kick and gets stuck down most of the time. I think I need to grease it up or something.

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:09 - 10 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put a larger engine sprocket on my 1927 and finished prepping the tank for a WWii dispatch riders Ariel I am building for a friend.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:40 - 12 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chucked a new battery in the VFR. Cold finished the existing one off.

Cold also decided the Fireblade wasnt starting after work yesterday, so I got to bump it over patches of ice. Which was "fun". Battery is new in that, and it was absolutely my fault for forgetting my cover at home.

Rob W
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:27 - 13 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lifted the cover and had a look this morning, just to remind myself what it looks like.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:37 - 13 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week, modified a rack to fit on one of the bikes. A lot of welding required and thinking. Widening, legthening, and accomodating things in the way.

The outcome is a sturdy albeit extremely ugly looking thing which I don't like at all. My welding is crap and I should have done it a different way: namely use the frame rails on the bike themselves to fit welded on main support tubes through (like the factory did) but it should do for now. It was annoying because I had to accomodate seat hinge as well as seat lock on the other side.
In the summer i'll completely re-modify it to the way I wanted to do it in the first place which would certainly look neater in a construction point of view (and i'll have time to actually make it look 'nice'), but didn't have the inclination or time to go a route which didn't first involve using up scrap metal instead of buying new metal.

Actually reluctant to post a photo due to how crap it is, but whatever. It's the better view.

https://i.ibb.co/F4h7n87/IMG-20221206-150943.jpg

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:58 - 14 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

that rack doesnt look too out of place, Besides its an MZ trophy, No point putting lingerie on a pig is there?
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:59 - 16 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

More scooter problems, this time the girlfriend has lost the key going to the gym and cant find the spare Laughing She thought it was in the seat compartment so I busted the lock open with a screwdriver and nope it's not in there... Still had to get it home so pulled the cover off the front of the scooter, slipped a cable in the ignition plug and off I went Laughing Absolutely nuts how easy it was to hotwire.

At least I cant blame the scooter this time.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:17 - 26 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Washed the road salt off of em. Reapplied ACF50 on the undergarments.
https://i.imgur.com/CPziL9al.jpg

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:42 - 02 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop the presses! Pepperami has actually worked on a bike this morning.
I took the rear caliper off Project Scrappy Hyosung and took it to pieces.
90% of the components cleaned up nicely.
I’m not convinced that the pistons should be re-used?
However my sidekick (neighbour) who’s helping me , reckons that they are salvageable???.
I’m going to spin them up in a lathe and run some old well used fine wet & dry over them.
Then I’ll see if they need replacing, I hope not.
Hopefully it will just loosen the bits of crust and they will be fine underneath.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:11 - 03 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changed the chain as the X-rings had swollen/bulged. It is a proper ball-ache on the viffer as it turns out when you want to fully access everything. Clutch slave cylinder out, had to disconnect the gear lever linkage so I could access the remaining bolt to get the sprocket cover, then umpteen other covers to fully clean the chain run. I was confronted by the most appalling mess when I got everything apart. For this chain, I'm going to stick with gear oil and see how I get on. Interestingly I now note that DID say to not use paraffin to clean chains (I wonder if this is why my X-rings have failed?) so I cleaned the chain after a ride with a gear-oil soaked rag, then re-lubed with gear oil and wiped off the excess.

Pic to show the inevitable mess after 10k miles or so of spray-gunk.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/gunked_up_goo_vomit_inducing.jpg

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:00 - 06 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a bid to defeat the "no posts exist..."

Polished the chrome on my bike - literally just the forks Smile Went down the shops. Unremarkable but it's been sitting doing nowt for the last 3 weeks; still started straight away.

Managed to tear the cover though. It's a half tarp half what looks like Mercury space suit reflective material but even so the UV has done for it. Looks like full tarp for the next one Sad

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:59 - 06 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Project Scrappy Hyosung: working on the rear brake.
Sadly , the rear master cylinder is fubar! Sad .

After many months of each and every nut on that bike having been squirted with penetrating oil , it came off fairly easily, yay!
Now I’m gonna need a new rear brake master cylinder.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 82 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Page 31 of 47