Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Info on A1 Mod2 needed.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tony Norton
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 15:14 - 01 Dec 2022    Post subject: Info on A1 Mod2 needed. Reply with quote

Hi All,

First of all I must point out that I was 83 when I first sat on a motorbike.

When I was leading up to my CBT I was told by my instructor "Keep up with the traffic." That was all very well whilst within the 30mph limit. Now I have my own 125, an AJS Cadwell, I am a bit concerned about the possibility, when doing A1 Mod2, of being directed on to a dual carriageway with a 70mph limit. Not because I am not capable of riding at that speed, but because the bike isn't capable, its maximum speed is 60mph, and a comfortable riding speed is 50-55mph.

From my many visits to the local (Poole) test station and riding around locally, I reckon that there are most commonly 2 types of learner bikers. The first are the fast food delivery bikes that are perpetually on "L" plates, probably having to re-do their CBT every 2 years, and those who do their CBT on a school bike and then go DAS, again on a school bike, and take their tests on bikes that can do more than "keep up with traffic". When I tried this latter route I managed to drop the school's SV650 twice in half an hour.

It was then I decide that (a) an 800mm seat height was not for me (I have relatively short legs for my 5' 9" height), and (b) I did not want, as a learner, to be in charge of a bike with that much instant power. I researched the market for a bike with a 700mm seat height and settled on the Honda Rebel 500, which I bought. I have done some road work on it, with my instructor, and I love it so much that I decided A2 was as far as I wanted to go. So I did the Mod1 test on it, and failed. This, when brought to the attention of my insurers, resulted in their termination of my temporary cover. Knowing that I needed a lot more road experience I purchased the AJS. So I am now the proud owner of 2 bikes!

Having just got through my A1 Mod1 (at the 3rd attempt) I am now scheduled to do Mod2 in January, but I would like some advice from riders who have done the A1 Mod2, a rarity I guess, and/or ex examiners, on the content of the A1 Mod2. I feel there is case to be made for using different, lower speed limit, roads when testing a rider on a bike that can barely get to 60mph flat out.

Could anybody who fits either of these categories please comment on my remarks. I don't want to fail the test for going too slowly on a bike that isn't capable of going any faster.

Happy biking to all,

Tony Norton
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:53 - 01 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

First up we can assume that for the most part an unmodified 125 at over 70mph is the ragged edge. My Keeway Superlight could barely manage 65mph. Examiners are not morons or jobsworths, they know what a 125 can do.

Note that you won't fail if you don't sit at the speed limit for every road. You will fail for not making "good progress" (e.g. hesitating at a roundabout) or not being aware of road conditions (noticing obstructions, pedestrians being dicks, etc.)

Mod2 is about being safe and showing confidence not pinning the throttle at every opportunity.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:03 - 01 Dec 2022    Post subject: Re: Info on A1 Mod2 needed. Reply with quote

Tony Norton wrote:
Hi All,

First of all I must point out that I was 83 when I first sat on a motorbike.

I wouldn't bbe going past CBT at that point personally. Especially if you don't feel up to doing 60+

Best of luck with riding but you know... would I bother when I didn't have the reflexes to ride happily at 60, probably not Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:11 - 01 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you binned an SV650 twice in an hour I don’t think biking is really your thing.

Tony Norton
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 00:25 - 02 Dec 2022    Post subject: Further comments. Reply with quote

Quote:
First up we can assume that for the most part an unmodified 125 at over 70mph is the ragged edge. My Keeway Superlight could barely manage 65mph. Examiners are not morons or jobsworths, they know what a 125 can do.

Note that you won't fail if you don't sit at the speed limit for every road. You will fail for not making "good progress" (e.g. hesitating at a roundabout) or not being aware of road conditions (noticing obstructions, pedestrians being dicks, etc.)

Mod2 is about being safe and showing confidence not pinning the throttle at every opportunity.

Helpful comments thank you Easy X, much appreciated. Your Keeway was obviously a quicker bike than the Cadwell which is redlining at 60mph, which is why I reckoned that 50-55mph is a comfortable speed.

Quote:
I wouldn't bbe going past CBT at that point personally. Especially if you don't feel up to doing 60+

Best of luck with riding but you know... would I bother when I didn't have the reflexes to ride happily at 60, probably not

I think you missed the point Paddy. As an ex single-seater racer, I am not bothered by speed. On my Rebel 500 I was quite happy at the national speed limit. It's just that the AJS has a maximum speed, in unmodified form, of 60mph flat out, and I see no point in riding flat out practically all the time.

Quote:
If you binned an SV650 twice in an hour I don’t think biking is really your thing.

Well, what can say to your discouraging comment redeem ouzzer? When I rode the SV650 I had a lot less experience than I do now. The problem with the "V" twin is threefold. (1) It was to tall for me to be comfortably able to get a toe down when stationary, (2) it was far too heavy for me to hold if it was anything but bolt upright, (both the drops happened when I was stationary) and (3) the throttle was so snatchy that I didn't feel that I was completely in control. My Rebel is lower, not so heavy and a helluva lot smoother on the throttle control.

Thanks anyway, but is there anybody who has first hand knowledge of the A1 Mod2?

Cheers
Tony N

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:09 - 02 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The test isn't any different to DAS mod 2. Ride defensively, making as much progress as you are legally able and within
the capabilities of your bike and the road and traffic conditions. Good observations are key and lots of exaggerated
shoulder checks before moving off. Use your years of road sense and try and make the whole ride 'sparkle'. You've
only got to have a good steady half hour or so riding out there, it will fly by. Keep an eye out for 20mph zones. It's
so easy to get caught out with those, even on a 125. It's likely that since your examiner can't suss out what your
faster riding is like given the limitations of a 125 so he'll make sure he chucks in a few 20 areas instead. Even if braking
isn't necessary and engine braking is sufficient during your ride to slow to a desired speed on approach to a hazard
or junction, you're on your test so shine a brake light anyway. Just so you are communicating that you are slowing to
other road users behind you, It's a good habit to have anyway, might prevent a rear ender one day. Finally don't forget
to check and cancel your indicators every single time you use them, it's such an easy mistake and a crap reason for
failing. Good luck. Thumbs Up I admire that you're going for it at your ripe old age but you've acknowledged that maybe a
hairy arsed Fireblade or similar is pushing your luck a bit and you've tailored your expectations to suit. Fair play to you.
Ragging a 125 is loads of fun anyway, without risking your licence.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:12 - 02 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod2 is Mod2, there's very little difference is how it plays out between bike sizes. (Not so for Mod1 where ppl often fail to get up enough speed on a 125 on the avoidance manoeuvres.)

What's your observation like? Shoulder check before pulling away. Are you visible in the wing mirror of the big lorry you're behind? None of these things vary by bike power. Keep practicing with your bike till you're hand in glove and therefore more confident. Don't worry about "can I go fast enough?"

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 02:14 - 02 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

For A1 the bike needs to be able to do at least 55mph so your bike will be fine.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:49 - 02 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take on weights ......

Once any bike goes past a certain lean, all you can do is step away from it and 'let it go'. Unless you're built like Dwayne Johnson you're not going to catch it.

So better you have something that doesn't make you struggle to balance on it in the first place, you already have that in the Rebel.

I think taking the next exams / tests ASAP is good as you've got plenty of practice with what's required, all of it is easier on a bigger better bike. Not sure i'd ever go back to a 125 - i like the option of acceleration / speed.

Tony Norton
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 08:12 - 02 Dec 2022    Post subject: A1 Mod2 test date. Reply with quote

Thanks guys, lots of good advice in your replies.

Managed to get a cancellation slot for Dec 8th. Actually I was offered 2, the other one being December 6th, but that is my 85th Birthday and, as my No.2 granddaughter is taking me out to lunch that day, I felt obliged to pass on that one.

Many thanks,
Tony N

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:58 - 02 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said above, having just sent a 69 year old through his A1 test (the bigger bike terrified him and he dropped it a few times shaking his confidence) you should be fine on the A1.

Should you hit a national speed limit area on test you will be expected to make progress, so sitting at 30 when your bike is capable of more would be the fail, getting to 55 would not cause a fail. The examiners are, for the most part, bikers, and know what your bike would be capable of.

If you need any hints, tips or advice, you're welcome to get in touch. Rumour has it I do this for a living and have done for a long time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:32 - 02 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
As said above, having just sent a 69 year old through his A1 test (the bigger bike terrified him and he dropped it a few times shaking his confidence) you should be fine on the A1.

Should you hit a national speed limit area on test you will be expected to make progress, so sitting at 30 when your bike is capable of more would be the fail, getting to 55 would not cause a fail. The examiners are, for the most part, bikers, and know what your bike would be capable of.

If you need any hints, tips or advice, you're welcome to get in touch. Rumour has it I do this for a living and have done for a long time.

Tony, this is probably the only advice you need in Pinky's post!

The only thing that can't be trained is confidence, go ride your 125 as much as possible but make sure you always treat it like you're on your test! If you don't do things strict and keep your discipline then all you'll be doing is reinforcing bad habits.

My top tip is to make constant observations (and do them noticeably).
I swear I did observations at least once every 20 seconds when I was on my MOD 2.

I have a really bad habit of not putting my bike into neutral at lights, but keeping it in first with the clutch pulled in and my foot on the rear brake Embarassed

EDIT: On BCF you will get people who just don't like you or will take the opportunity to poke at you. Just accept that it's part of the experience. You'll never keep all the people happy all the time so don't even try.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:38 - 02 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the only other thing is make sure you don't go to easy on the throttle getting up to speed; if you go onto a faster section of road, use the available power and revs to get to the speed you're aiming for fairly swiftly. On a big bike, that would happen naturally and easily. but on a 125 you're going to have to wring it's neck a bit, otherwise I'd be concerned you might be seen as dawdling (unsure if that's a failure possibility or not though!).

Tony Norton
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:17 - 15 Dec 2022    Post subject: Another mickle? Reply with quote

Hi All,

well, I've done it. Did A1 Mod2 at 14:30 this afty and passed! So it's "L" plates off the Cadwell and on to the Rebel.

The examiner did comment on my doing what he called "the racing line" on right hand turns into a minor road. He said that, although I didn't touch the centre line, next time I should do a a tighter, more square turn.

I have to ride to Poole, from the east of Bournemouth, just under 10 miles, which was OK in the afternoon, but not so much fun when the sun has gone down and the temperature is dropping like a stone. My fingers have only just thawed out. Still it was worth it, to be able to ditch the "L" plates.

Guess it is probably getting near time to close this thread, it's getting near 10 pages.

I will start a new one when I have done my A2 Mod1, on Dec 28th would you believe. I will probably title it "Oldie on a Rebel".

Thanks to everyone for the advice and help.

Cheers
Tony N

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:24 - 15 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one! Thumbs Up

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:47 - 15 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Tony!

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:58 - 15 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent news, well done!
I think you deserve massive kudos for even venturing out on the bike in these temperatures, never mind passing your test!

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:59 - 15 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done and stay safe Thumbs Up

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:25 - 15 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great to hear Smile
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:02 - 19 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, take it easy now though and enjoy the ride! Thumbs Up

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:56 - 09 Jan 2023    Post subject: Re: Another mickle? Reply with quote

Tony Norton wrote:
Hi All,

well, I've done it. Did A1 Mod2 at 14:30 this afty and passed! So it's "L" plates off the Cadwell and on to the Rebel.

Congratulations mate and well done for not giving up! Good luck on your upcoming tests!

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:33 - 16 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done !

so glad you got there in the end
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 72 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1